Another video full of vintage lighting!

PC Comms

Veteran Member
Stumbled across this today on You Tube. Lots of great vintage lights throughout. I was curious what the fender light was at 4:28. Also, check out the red light on the back of the bar at 4:40.

Thanks for sharing this video, as it brought back good and bad memories of my 1980 Dodge St. Regis patrol car when I was an officer in Arkansas in the early 80s. It was awesome as far as looks, roominess, and front seat creature comfort, but it was agonizingly slow at high speed with it's 360 CI motor. Top end was only a little over 100 MPH, and that was on a good day going downhill with the wind behind you. As a comparison, our 1978 Chevy Nova with 350 CI topped out at 124 MPH.

As for the two different lights you mentioned, the fender light on the Ontario Provincial Police unit is the Canadian version of the Michigan "fin" hood light. It was used to effect traffic stops in the same manner as the hood fin, and also used at accident scenes and road closures to assist in warning motorists.

The add on light on the rear of the Twinsonic lightbar on the black and white car looks to be an amber par 46 sealed beam. Since the car has a California historical vehicle license plate, it was apparently domiciled there when it was a patrol car, and the light was probably originally used for a rear flasher to meet California specs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info. I was wondering if the fender light was used like the Michigan light, but I thought that maybe not since the car had a roof bar on it as well.

03crownvic said:
The add on light on the rear of the Twinsonic lightbar on the black and white car looks to be an amber par 46 sealed beam. Since the car has a California historical vehicle license plate, it was apparently domiciled there when it was a patrol car, and the light was probably originally used for a rear flasher to meet California specs.

It didn't have a CTS either, so I'd guess they also had a steady red light on the driver's A pillar.

All it took was a little tweaking to make the St. regis a 120mph car.

I had a '79 with the 360HP in it.

I disconnected all the smog crap, changed the ignition to a Direct Connection electronic unit, getting rid of the leanburn computer, and put bigger jets in the thermoquad.

Cost me about $125.00, and well worth it. The cops that hated these cars would have been impressed.

My brother had a St. Regis back in the mid to late 1980s.

PC Comms said:
Your dad actually used this car for Sheriff's duties? Was the light always wired down the windshield like it is? Not trying to be a smart ass or break balls. Just asking.

YES to both questions. Riv was also our family car, so lightbar and door signs stayed in the trunk most of the time until needed. Power cord was coiled under the hood by wiper. Also a set of flashing reds were in front grill.

That is freaking AWESOME!!!! That must have been a blast running traffic with that thing!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
efoote381