Antenna for scanner

DLuccia

May 21, 2010
Greater Waterbury CT
I am looking for an antenna and mount for the Nissan.

I don't know what is best anymore. I am told to stay away from the peel and stick glass ones. What is recommended?

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
Another problem the GUIDE section can solve:

DLuccia

May 21, 2010
Greater Waterbury CT
To be fair, 99% of people who post here in the forums don't take the time to check first, so.....

One of the links in that Guide section linked to another site with lots of good information:
No worries I didn't take offence to it. I don't know anything when it comes to communications either scanners or antennas.

ckgarside

Jul 9, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
For what it's worth, a friend of mine mounted a discone in the trunk of his car.

I laughed at him, but despite the far less than ideal position, he claimed to be able to pick up the county simulcast system just fine. 

When we do Baker to Vegas every year, we run mag mount antennas on the borrowed cars. Its less than ideal, but it works.

DLuccia

May 21, 2010
Greater Waterbury CT
I have tried a few different types of antennas with this truck and I cant find what works well with it. I used a Hidden antenna that went on the windshield and was alright till the one of our MA depts. I have on the scanner transmits they are on 800mhz and all you get is static and noise with that. I had a Ratshack mag mount I picked at a going out of business sale at a local store it works alright but I am not a mag mount fan.

I picked up a NMO mount whistler and was considering a metal in the fender mount or a Trunk/hood lip mount has anyone tried them before and what is the opinion.

Thanks

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
get one of these....

aecx.images_amazon.com_images_I_41bOK1nXIhL.jpg

it takes your stock vehicle antenna and "splits" it to the car radio and then your scanner

DLuccia

May 21, 2010
Greater Waterbury CT
Do those even work ? I picked up a Decent antenna according to the local radio shop just need to find the right mount.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
in theory it should, i have no end user feedback for it though. 

firebuff17

Mar 28, 2011
CT
I have not used it. But I have heard and read mixed reviews about them. As with all antennas it depends on your location to the systems being monitored, frequency, and terrain.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jhaberny

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.