Antenna help

Status
Not open for further replies.

ffemt045

May 24, 2010
belmont NY
I need to extend my high band coax about 3-4 feet. I cant find the connectors at my local radio shack to do this, can anyone help? Its for the smaller motorola connector, mini uhf i think its called.

PC Comms

May 30, 2010
Beautiful southern Georgia!
If you are looking to make an extension cable, it doesn't matter what end is on it. All you would need from Radio Shack is 4 PL-259 ends, and a pair of double SO-239 "barrel" and a length of coax cable. Just cut your antenna cable about 6 - 8 inches before the end, put a PL-259 on each end of your antenna cable and one on each end of the the length of coax cable. Then just connect each pair with the barrel. Pics below show what you need. If you just want a length of cable with a pair of mini UHF connectors and a mini UHF barrel so you only have one splice, I can make one to size for you. PM me with the length that you need and I can give you a price. Hope this helps.

at0_gstatic_com_images_b683217a8801aada7202736ab7f1655f._.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQvtitDIW9f0U4O9JIDwbIQOxPo7-f96lGoYj2vnCS51a5IkQMz

cvfd1615

Jun 12, 2010
Custer, Kentucky
I would refrain going the barrel connector method every new splice or every new adapter of something you had just causes loss and well if my radio is doing 50W transmit then I want every bit of that 50W going out radiating at as low of SWR as possible preferably 1 to 1.1:1.

I agree w/ one of those posters get a new coax piece for the length you need and redo it.

Oh, I'd stay away from the RS PL259s and their coax as well if at all possible. VERY Cheap

PC Comms

May 30, 2010
cvfd1615 said:
Oh, I'd stay away from the RS PL259s and their coax as well if at all possible. VERY Cheap

WHAT??? How are the "cheap"?? Any connector can be either "cheap" (poor quality) or good, depending on the quality of the product you are purchasing. Radio Shack, over the counter ones... yes, "cheap". The high end, gold plated tipped center conductor ones that we use in my shop... FAR from cheap! Motorola used the SO-239 antenna connectors on all of their radios for years and the MAIN reason the went to a mini UHF was for ease of installation (It's a hell of a LOT easier to snake them through a fire wall as opposed to a PL-259). Kenwood still uses them on all of their radios, as does Vertex and several other manufacturers. As for the loss, yes, you will experience SOME loss, but if you use high quality connectors, the loss is MINIMAL (less than 1 to 1 1/2 watts power out). If installing a new cable isn't an option, then this would be a viable alternative, which is all I was suggesting.

cpdchief

May 22, 2010
Madison County, AL
ffemt045 said:
I need to extend my high band coax about 3-4 feet. I cant find the connectors at my local radio shack to do this, can anyone help? Its for the smaller motorola connector, mini uhf i think its called.

When you say high band, are you referring to VHF High band? If so, the splice method suggested here will be fine. If you are talking 800mhz, then it will NOT be fine. The PL-259 connectors are only good up to about 500 mhz.

jonny521

May 23, 2010
mass
since i have a question about this myself ill post this one. i have a pro 404 handheld from radioshack. i am in the market for a new antenna for it. i currently have one on there now ( not to sure what kind it is) all i know it works but i wanna smaller one. i was on adamson's website and found this antenna and was wondering if would work? Black Kulrod Factory Tuned One Quarter Wave Antenna 806 to 896 MHz or is the MHZ to high for it? :crazy: .

PC Comms

May 30, 2010
It will work, but marginally, at best. A lot depends on 2 factors. What frequencies you wish to monitor and how good the coverage is in your area. If you are only looking to monitor the 800 MHz. band, then this would be a great antenna, but any lower in frequency than that and you start to lose reception. The lower you go in frequency, the worse the performance is going to be. I have found that a regular 1/4 wave VHF whip cut to 18" generally performs pretty well for most applications. Low band is spotty, but not terrible.

jonny521

May 23, 2010
mass
ok cause i only monitor the stations weve covered and had to respond to. a good portion of them are the 400's. should i get an antenna that only covers up to 512 or the high 400's??

ffemt045

May 24, 2010
belmont NY
Ok so in the end i took the time to run a hole new cable. The installer who installed the original radio and antenna cut off the remaining cable so a new factory lenght worked great. Thanks APS for your help and heres a free plug for ya!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gasman

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.