Any Arizona EMTs?

ryan81986

Apr 13, 2011
Boston, MA
I've been thinking about moving out there but I would need to transfer my EMT cert. However there are different answers on different parts of Bureau of EMS's website. Some say that you can transfer an out of state cert if you take an AZ refresher, and some say you need an out of state cert, an AZ refresher and an NREMT cert. Does anyone know what you need exactly? I'd call but they are closed.

Az_Medic

Mar 30, 2011
US AZ
ryan81986 said:
I've been thinking about moving out there but I would need to transfer my EMT cert. However there are different answers on different parts of Bureau of EMS's website. Some say that you can transfer an out of state cert if you take an AZ refresher, and some say you need an out of state cert, an AZ refresher and an NREMT cert. Does anyone know what you need exactly? I'd call but they are closed.

NREMT is not required here. However the refresher classes are NREMT based so it satisfies the NREMT part if you wish to keep your NREMT.

partss11

May 24, 2010
Arizona
NREMT isn't required AFTER you have AZ cert. They don't accept reciprocity from any other state though, so you have to have national to transfer. All you have to do is fill out the Application for Temporary EMT Cert found here: Bureau of Emergency Medical Services & Trauma System: EMT Certification

That will get you a 6 month cert, and you have to take a refresher during the 6 months.

Alex

May 21, 2010
Queen Creek, AZ
ryan81986 said:
So if you get the 6 month temporary, and then take a refresher, you can get your AZ cert? Or do you still need to get the NREMT first.

You must have NREMT prior to getting AZ cert. If you have NREMT, you can walk into the BEMS office and walk out with a AZ temporary cert. Once you complete a refresher you will have a normal 2-year cert that expires opposite of your NREMT cert. In my experience, if you don't have NREMT, you must start from scratch. I have not heard of anyone obtaining a AZ cert without NREMT. NREMT is NOT required to maintain your AZ cert.

Alex

May 21, 2010
Queen Creek, AZ
I'm from out of state. Can I transfer my certification to Arizona?

Arizona does not have reciprocal agreements for EMT certification with any other state or jurisdiction. However, if you have current EMT certification or licensure in another state or jurisdiction, have current NREMT registration, or have current NREMT reregistration eligibility, you may apply for initial two-year Arizona EMT certification after completing an Arizona ALS refresher or EMT-B refresher rather than an Arizona EMT-B, EMT-I(99), or EMT-P course. The requirements for initial two-year EMT certification are provided in R9-25-404, available here.

In addition, if you hold current NREMT registration as an EMT-Basic or EMT-Paramedic, but have not yet completed an Arizona ALS refresher or EMT-B refresher, you may apply for one temporary 6-month EMT-B or EMT-P certification. Temporary 6-month EMT certification may be extended for 18 months after an EMT completes an Arizona ALS refresher or EMT-B refresher. The requirements for temporary certification are provided in R9-25-405, available here.

This is taken from the AZDHS BEMS website (Bureau of Emergency Medical Service)

partss11

May 24, 2010
Arizona
+1 Alex.

I just completed this process for Paramedic, and it wasn't all too difficult. 5 day refresher course and I was good to go. I had to pay for it out of pocket though :-(

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
W2CK

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.