Anyone else have an arangment like this?

dovy6

May 18, 2011
Brooklyn
Someone sent me this pic a while ago and I just came across it again. Anyone out there have trouble with gated communities? How to other agencies gain access to these places?

Hot.jpg

Dovy

tnems7

May 21, 2010
USA Nashville Tennessee
These are popular in many gated subdivisions around Tennessee cities.

Usually these gates use an audible overide sensor keyed to the yelp sound from the siren. However, some services found they needed a siren manf. particular yelp pattern (i.e., Federal instead of SVP). The siren yelp can be calibrated, or a tone recorded at the dispatch center can be retransmitted and played over the PA system.

The dispatcher might also obtain any key code from the caller so that may be entered to allow access.

RolnCode3

May 21, 2010
Sacramento, CA
We have a radio channel programmed for Knox boxes. No siren activated that I know of.

NJEMT

May 22, 2010
Essex County, NJ
All the gated communities in my town have guards, so we do not have that problem

bkn74

Sep 7, 2010
metropolis IL
dont leave much room for arriving silently and undetected.

jdh

May 21, 2010
Geneva, FL
Down in Orlando, when I did gate work, some used the Opticom sensor, some open with the yelp tone. It depended what was being gated.

paff2

Nov 30, 2010
Lancaster, PA
We have one of those in our area. Worked great when testing but havent used it on a actual call.

fleetcomm

Sep 2, 2011
south of nowhere

Jamey@NNE

Jun 23, 2011
Ocoee, Florida
All of ours around here use yelp then orange county also uses the radio on a programed channel. We have one that also uses the lights so even the power company can get in with the beacon.

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
A FD I know had a transmitter that looked like a garage door opener to open the gate if Security wasn't there. Problem was that it worked on the same bay door where the tanker came out of. The opener was kept on the engine. I was there as the engine left the station and the tanker was on its way out and the button was accidentally pressed. The sound of the garage door falling apart as it came down on the tanker was NOT pretty.

dcarrfire45

Feb 4, 2012
stafford ct
We have one here. Two options to get in, couple of our vehicles have the proximity card to open the gate or there is a Knox box with a switch inside to open the gate

OTFD211

May 24, 2010
Cleveland,Oh
My old department had a community that we used yelp to gain entry..that lasted about 6 months! Seems the residents didn't like it very much.... hearing our siren @ 3 am so they issued all of our trucks gate cards that we would swipe for entry.

ff168577

May 22, 2010
Levittown, Pa
We use pre-emption(opticom) to gain access, or we just ram the gate if that fails. We did that once, and the township made the community replace the gate because their sensor failed.

theroofable

May 23, 2010
New Jersey
Drove through a few gates that didnt open actually, they all open for structure fires. I wouldnt recommend doing that for fire alarms and such though :thumbsup:

FGS

May 21, 2010
United States, Maryland
There was this apartment complex in Winston Salem NC. It's a gated community. All they had for the gates are long sections of downspout pipes. Same stuff they put on the sides of houses.

No sensor to open the gates for the fire trucks as I could see. Then again who do you thing is gonna win? A 50,000 pound fire truck or a downspout pipe. :haha: :crazy:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ragnarok

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.