Anyone have a spotlight on their POV?

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
Eric1249 said:
Everytime I forget about putting a spotlight on my truck this thread comes up.

I know, right...? lol

I'm debating on doing this with my Avalanche... I might be getting a new (or atleast new to me) vehicle soon, so I might hold off for a little bit longer, if I can... lol

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
How well does the paint hold up? Does it wear off having moving parts?

I am afraid that if I took a light apart I would paint the wrong parts or I wouldn't get the light back together properly. I am a little apprehensive about buying a used light.

Goodsam

Jun 26, 2011
South western Utah
Eric1249 said:
How well does the paint hold up? Does it wear off having moving parts?

I am afraid that if I took a light apart I would paint the wrong parts or I wouldn't get the light back together properly. I am a little apprehensive about buying a used light.

disassembly / reassembly it pretty easy I'll post pics of mine disassemble after painting complete basically you remove 1 screw and the light assembly removes, then you remove one nut and the light housing removes, then you remove one bolt ant nut and the handle removes, and you loosen 2 screws and the shaft outer assembly slides off. They also provide an exploded diagram in the installation kit. If you chose to paint you would most likly only paint the the elbow head portion and the removable shaft . :)

Goodsam

Jun 26, 2011
South western Utah
Paint done 2 coats primer 5 coats of black and 3 coats of clear baked at 165-180 3-5 hrs between each coat tell me what you think im HAPPY :D ai59.photobucket.com_albums_g320_goodsam_spotlight_20install_F75209e0f711d7ec94ee28f6ab6201a8e.jpgai59.photobucket.com_albums_g320_goodsam_spotlight_20install_B80fb3e0afa71872eae062dcdbbc4fa4d.jpgai59.photobucket.com_albums_g320_goodsam_spotlight_20install_90aa55dc68d56aaa17d39d84c8ee79632.jpg

here is a parts break down photo

ai59.photobucket.com_albums_g320_goodsam_spotlight_20install_436e2d0e51be6f624d4d72db22f12c68b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
This has me thinking once again about putting a spotlight on my truck. Do I take a chance on a used one being dinged up or worn out, or just get a new one?

Ultimate D

Feb 25, 2011
Central Arkansas
Eric1249 said:
This has me thinking once again about putting a spotlight on my truck. Do I take a chance on a used one being dinged up or worn out, or just get a new one?

Honestly man, unless you can physically inspect it prior to purchase, I would just buy new. I got mine for $101, and that came with the light, warranty, and I KNEW it was going to work and not be seized up. The last two spotlights I have bought off of eBay were seized and took a lot of work to get operational again. Just my two cents buddy.

Drew

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
At first glance I thought those were pictures of tie rods, and I was curious as to there reason for being posted here..

Then I face-palmed myself.

Great job!

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
Ultimate D said:
Honestly man, unless you can physically inspect it prior to purchase, I would just buy new. I got mine for $101, and that came with the light, warranty, and I KNEW it was going to work and not be seized up. The last two spotlights I have bought off of eBay were seized and took a lot of work to get operational again. Just my two cents buddy.

Drew

Where did you find one for $101?

Goodsam

Jun 26, 2011
South western Utah
Ok I did it installed 2 post mount spotlights in 2004 Silverado hd crew cab no video but lots of pictures SORRY I forgot my camera (Go Pro) took about 4 hrs not completely done yet. Both lights installed I still need to wire them in and figure out the garnishment (Trim) on the inside I had issues with first one but it turned out acceptable in my book I learned the hard way but actually very easy to install. i spent probably 2 solid hours on the first one and 45min to 1hr on the second i did the passenger side first then the drivers. Worked well I don't have to look at the passenger side imperfection everyday LOL I'll take some final pics tomorrow in the daylight. Check out my pics and let me know what you think:

Spotlight Install Photos by goodsam | Photobucket

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
Looks good Goodsam... I shudder at the idea of notching my door... I think I'm going to get the door-mount for my Av if I decide to do this... lol

Ultimate D

Feb 25, 2011
Central Arkansas
TritonBoulder47 said:
Looks good Goodsam... I shudder at the idea of notching my door... I think I'm going to get the door-mount for my Av if I decide to do this... lol

This is why I went with a door mount. I had mine on in less than an hour. I am sure a pro could put on a door mount in probably 20 minutes or less. It is way easy.

Ultimate D

Feb 25, 2011
Central Arkansas
Eric1249 said:
How do you prep the chrome before you paint it? If I do it I will have a pro drill the hole.

I just used a scuff pad and ruffed the surface up a bit. I used gloss black Krylon Dual paint/primer on mine. Worked great.

Goodsam

Jun 26, 2011
South western Utah
After installing mine the clear coat flakes off supper easy the black held up nice. My problem and only problem was the first notch I did. I followed the directions to the T and it didn't work out right on the blue tape side. I took really good pics of the green side and would go a little high from center and it was perfect the notch was my biggest scare and that alignment was my big worry. With the pics I took (if I would have seen these photos online. I would not be worried about notching the doors

WS224

Nov 28, 2010
West Tennessee
SteveB2187 said:
I did a how-to write-up for spotlight installation on an FJ Cruiser, however, the procedure can be applied to virtually any vehicle.

Just remember, measure twice (or better yet, measure a dozen times) . . . drill once.

SPOTLIGHT (Post-Mounted): Installation w/ lots of pics!! - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum

I found your install post while scouring the internet prior to my installation. Very, very good write up. It was very beneficial.

Welcome t the board, glad you found it.

The only thing I would add is that although I agree wit measuring twice, you do not have to use the templates to determine the placement on the height of the door. The templates put the handle on the lower 1/4 to 1/3 section of the door post which put the handle too close to the dash for my liking. After the install, I wish I would have studied the placement better and used the template at the top of the door post down instead of from the bottom up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ultimate D

Feb 25, 2011
Central Arkansas
SteveB2187 said:
I did a how-to write-up for spotlight installation on an FJ Cruiser, however, the procedure can be applied to virtually any vehicle.

Just remember, measure twice (or better yet, measure a dozen times) . . . drill once.

SPOTLIGHT (Post-Mounted): Installation w/ lots of pics!! - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum

Ha! Awesome. I found your post online just like WS224 did, back when I was first thinking of putting one on my truck. Excellent write up! It really helped me with my decision to put a light on my truck. Thank you.

-Drew

Bruton1816

Feb 3, 2014
Texas
Ultimate D said:
Any one else have pictures of spotlights on their POV's?
Mounted this one on my old 98 Sierra 2500. Engine threw a rod in it 3 years ago and I went and bought an 06 Silverado 2500, miss that spotlight and seeing this makes me want to put a spotlight in the 06 now! I still have that Sierra with the spotlight in it sitting in the pasture...20130407_123307.jpg

20130407_121152.jpg

20130407_121218.jpg

Turd Ferguson

Jul 3, 2011
Sumner, Wa
I had dual spotlights on my old '98 explorer in SAR. I liked the convenience, and so did any riders I had. Plus, going up towards the golf course after midnight, made for good golf ball hunting on the side of the road. I didn't buy any golf balls for almost 3 years.

CodeMan

Dec 27, 2012
Central Florida
I have one of these mounted on the roof works very well as it provides full 360* where you need it.. ;)

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
My '97 CVPI (which has been down for quite some time) has a standard 6" Unity spot light. Since I used the car for first response when it was running, I would've felt "naked" without it.

Since I respond in a rural area, a spot light or a bright LED-type flashlight is essential for finding addresses at night. Fortunately our county passed an ordinance a couple of years ago requiring house numbers on all residences. Makes it a lot easier!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gasman

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.