anyone have problems with FS Touchmaster Delta's?

Quentin

May 21, 2010
Lancaster, Nebraska
I got one new back in 08 since day one the PA and radio rebrodcast sound would go in and out and sound funny. I bought a NOS Delta cajunblitz and some reason the horn ring stop working, send it back to him and he sends me another works perfect. I install it and send in my 08 Delta to be repaired. they said there was nothing wrong with it? They ship it back i just left it in the box for 3 months and just used the Delta i had installed. The Delta that was installed siren went out and everything else work?

I pull the Delta out and found a fuse pop inside and replace it and bench test it. The fuse pops again. I call Unitrol and they tell me i have to send it in. So I pull out my other Delta and bench test it before install. where to start about this one.... The green back light buttons are dim, when i do anything with the siren or horn they go out. the siren comes on in any mode, slide switch in to mode 1 both mode 1 & 2 lights come on, slide in to mode 3 both the lights dim. slide in to mode 3 they go out.

So now I'm out a siren as of right now and was wondering if anything like this has happen then there UTMD?

Black Hoe

May 21, 2010
Long Island, NY
Quentin said:
I got one new back in 08 since day one the PA and radio rebrodcast sound would go in and out and sound funny. I bought a NOS Delta cajunblitz and some reason the horn ring stop working, send it back to him and he sends me another works perfect. I install it and send in my 08 Delta to be repaired. they said there was nothing wrong with it? They ship it back i just left it in the box for 3 months and just used the Delta i had installed. The Delta that was installed siren went out and everything else work?

I pull the Delta out and found a fuse pop inside and replace it and bench test it. The fuse pops again. I call Unitrol and they tell me i have to send it in. So I pull out my other Delta and bench test it before install. where to start about this one.... The green back light buttons are dim, when i do anything with the siren or horn they go out. the siren comes on in any mode, slide switch in to mode 1 both mode 1 & 2 lights come on, slide in to mode 3 both the lights dim. slide in to mode 3 they go out.

So now I'm out a siren as of right now and was wondering if anything like this has happen then there UTMD?

I have read on here that for whatever reason, the UTMD's are not as reliable as the older but still manufactured model UTM series. I have been running the UTM1's and UTM4's in my fleet for 20+ years and never had any issues with them. The Unitrol 80K's and Omega 90's are just as reliable. I don't run any UTMD's in my fleet at all because of the known problems that they have, some new right out of the box.

Miller88

Jan 24, 2012
USA Houston TX
Don't like to resurrect old threads but let me share my experience with Touchmaster Deltas. I have as of today gone through 3 of them due to various issues. Number 1 I am not sure how, one day one of the push button switches quit working. Well I got another and gave number 1 away to a friend who needed a siren at the time. Siren number 2 was great until it blew the output transistor and would not do any siren tones. Siren number 3 I got for free from a friend in return for selling a lightbar of his and I got one good code 3 run out of it, but the next morning the fuse popped after using the PA mic. I replaced the fuse of the same amperage and it started smoking and shooting sparks and bam, another output transistor was fried. Have I just had really bad luck with these things or has Federal Signal gone downhill that much? Its a shame because the siren tones are amazing for clearing traffic. For now I am going to stick to using my Whelen 295SLSA6 and when or if I decide to get another siren I will probably stick with Whelen since I have had no trouble with them. Sorry for the rant session, hope this may help someone consider their choice for or against Touchmaster deltas.

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
My experience (very little) seems to be that it is super-sensitive to low supply voltage. As the battery was dying in my vehicle, the alley lights would come on randomly. No problems since the new battery.

Quentin

May 21, 2010
Lancaster, Nebraska
I have the touch master repaired and been sitting in my closet ever since.

Right now I am running the smart siren platinum witch works great with the valor. I just wish it had as good as tones as the touch master delta.

I think federal needs to make a smart touch master delta. I'd buy it in a heart beat!

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
I'm not so sure about how long the highest frequency hangs when it's in wail mode.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monsuarre

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.