Anyone Use the PowerProbe III?

usdemt

May 21, 2010
Vermillion SD
I bought one of these awhile back and I will never install lights without it. Troubleshooting is especially easy. The last install I had the department had an issue with a horn on one truck and a light on another, in less than 5 minutes I had both problems diagnosed and told them how to fix them. Without it I would have spent a good 15-20 minutes using different testers and wire leads and such to identify the problem Using a multimeter compared to this is like using SLK lights to Whelen, there is just no comparison.

http://www.amazon.com/Power-Probe-Ultimate-Automotive-Electrical/dp/B000KPU8MK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1291712788&sr=8-1

Phillyrube

May 21, 2010
Flatistan
Blade Runner said:
I know it's horribly immature, but I'm going to say it anyways. "Powerprobe III" sounds like an industrial strength sex toy, similar to the "Anal Intruder" from the old Val Kilmer flick "Top Secret".......LOL

Well, now that you mention it........

Great dev, also usse one, mostly for the stuff I do around the garage working on my bikes and stuff. That and my handy Simpson 260.

May 24, 2010
East Longmeadow, MA
I started out with the original Power Probe and now I have every model between the Original Power Probe all the way to the Power Probe III. I use it almost every day, great little invention. But it is deadly in the wrong hands.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Blade Runner said:
I know it's horribly immature, but I'm going to say it anyways. "Powerprobe III" sounds like an industrial strength sex toy, similar to the "Anal Intruder" from the old Val Kilmer flick "Top Secret".......LOL

"Comes with a hard blow molded case"

EVModules

May 16, 2010
Deer Park, WA
I have the earlier version of the power probe and it's the #3 ranked tool, after the Snap-on tester that uses hot & ground by means of alligator clips or cig outlet. I only use the Power Probe when I need to introduce 12vdc + or - for testing. Other than that, the primary tool for diagnostics has always been this tool:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000I12RUW

aecx.images_amazon.com_images_I_21699J6GC1L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

• It is computer safe - meaning I can probe without fear of damaging any delicate circuits, even around airbags if they are not clearly marked by the telltale yellow jacket. The Power probe is circuit safe ONLY if the + or - button doesn't get pressed!

• It is hands free - no wires! You simply touch any portion of the chassis ground. Most of the time, I'm already touching ground through my body without intentionally touching ground with my free hand.

• It's quick - faster to use. It's ready to work the minute you pick it up.

• Dual indicators - light & buzz

• Dual voltage - Detects up to 28vdc. A plus when working on 24vdc systems.

This tool ranks in the top ten tools in my toolbox and as a warning, no one should use these 3 testing tools without a basic understanding of electrical theory. All it does is detect the presence of 12vdc that is LOOKING for ground. For instance, I use this tool to locate ground switching horn ring. I probe a wire that I suspect is part of the horn ring circuit. If it's the correct wire, it will show positive when the horn is NOT pressed, nothing when the horn is pressed. If you are nodding in agreement, this tool is for you, if you're not, call a professional.

As any reputable installer will tell you, never, ever use the generic tester with that 12vdc bulb in the handle. I see young installers come in with it and I tell them to crush it and throw it away and I give them $2 credit for them to use it on a quality tester.

usdemt

May 21, 2010
Vermillion SD
Sean what Snap On tester are you referring to?

That little guy you have their is sweet though, I will definitely have to pick one of those up.

Last edited by a moderator:
May 21, 2010
NJ & IA
usdemt said:
Sean what Snap On tester are you referring to? And what tell tale yellow yellow jacket you refer to?

That little guy you have their is sweet though, I will definitely have to pick one of those up.

Wires that have to do with the airbag are covered in a yellow jacket or shield to differentiate them from other wiring in the car. If you see wires in yellow shielding, don't play with them. They are only for the airbags and have no other meaning inside the vehicle.

May 21, 2010
NJ & IA
usdemt said:
Sean what Snap On tester are you referring to? And what tell tale yellow yellow jacket you refer to?

Wires that have to do with the airbag are covered in a yellow jacket or shield to differentiate them from other wiring in the car. If you see wires in yellow shielding, don't play with them. They are only for the airbags and have no other meaning inside the vehicle.

usdemt

May 21, 2010
Vermillion SD
kinnelonfire75 said:

Ugh brain fart. I read his statement as the PowerProbe is market with with yellow jacket. I know about the airbag wires but apparently I cant comprehend cohesive english sentences tonight. I read the second line of his first bullet as a complete sentence.

May 22, 2010
New York City
i bought one after seeing it in police fleet magazine a few months ago, i got it on ebay for $69 brand new complete , no idea why nobody else bid on it ...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.