Appearing soon

Support Services

May 27, 2010
Lebanon PA
Well my 1986 Ford F 250 flatbed is just about ready to hit the road. Before I list the warning equipment first - why. This truck is used for a buisness that plans, set up and working at special events. The warning equipment is used for attention gathering, traffic control, event safety and some winter snow/ice work. Very little of this work will be on the public roadways. The green and noise maker are capible of being turned off under the hood to meet any legal concerns as needed

Now the warning systems.

Front

4 sinc amber led hide a ways. 2 in the turn signals and 2 in a pair of driving lights. No name unit but not that bad. worst part is only 1 alternating patteren.

SVP Hotshot on dashboard mount either amber or green with mirror.

Roof

Federal Signal All Light Streethawk. White base. Center rotor is green, standard outboard rotators are amber. Inboard rotors were removed. Lower pods are all clear work lights except center rear which will be amber currantly in red.

Rear

Whelen oval strobes in amber in alternating triple flash.

A 8 head Whelen Traffice bar is mounted on a removable stand and it can sit on the lid of a cross bed tool box.

Sides

On the underside of the flatbed behind the cab is a Lin 4 split amber/clear mounted vertical (just looked good that way).

A siren is mounted on the truck. S & W Magumun. This is used mostly for the PA. I would replace this if I could find a used air horn PA type unit.

The green lights were installed with the idea the at one of our special events anyone else using lights would be using amber and the green light s would be used as a lcating beacon if needed. As soon as the plates come in and it's inspected I will post pictures.

Support Services

My suggestion?

Get rid of the GREEN- you are not a fire command vehicle, nor can you legally "run" green...

Hello

I hear what your saying about the green. WHile I haven't read the vehicle code lately to see if they updated the green issue yet. As I last looked no one was legal to use green in PA. In the county where most of the buisness is I can count less than 5 agencies that use green for command and most of those were just mounted on their vehicles just within the last week. If I could find another color that would make it stand out as a location beacon I would gladely change. The Hotshot on the dash probley be amber as it would be too directional for a locating point. On the legal end of things I am slightly more concerned with the siren however the master discontect under the hood seems to please the guys I talked to.

Thanks

Event management group we work with here uses four corner strobes and amber strobes/led's in back window to lay out the course. We've had no problems locating anyone in setup group using two-way radios and/or cell phones. However if you'd like something to make your truck more noticeable, why not a white beacon on a push up pole. Since as you say most use amber, white would tend to stand out from the crowd.

GaryErrol said:
Event management group we work with here uses four corner strobes and amber strobes/led's in back window to lay out the course. We've had no problems locating anyone in setup group using two-way radios and/or cell phones. However if you'd like something to make your truck more noticeable, why not a white beacon on a push up pole. Since as you say most use amber, white would tend to stand out from the crowd.
+1 on Gary's suggestion of using white on a push up pole! I suggest a single strobe beacon similar to the ones found on School buses...also my suggestion is get rid of the green anywhere, stick to amber and white (but don't use clear in the lightbar)

Mr911 said:
+1 on Gary's suggestion of using white on a push up pole! I suggest a single strobe beacon similar to the ones found on School buses...also my suggestion is get rid of the green anywhere, stick to amber and white (but don't use clear in the lightbar)

Texas DOT did a study that showed strobes are worse for estimating distance than halogen. Best bet would be a little Whelen Responder Cadet on a stick.

My input is get ride of everything else but the streethawk and just have that up top with amber simple no need for a siren and or anything else. Save some of your money.

Hello

Thanks for the replies. As for wasting money all the lights were on hand. If it was just for simple amber warning I would put my Visabar or 4 bulb on it but remember peole like blinking things and this is used in event ment to draw people. Also the area lighting on the Streethawk is nice on a dark feild at night. The PA part is needed and it is what I have on hand. If I would end up making all sorts of money at this part time venture I'll give you all a chance to chime in on the build. But that one will be a lot more boring, I kinda thing it will be a step van equipment truck. Have a great New Year.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
efoote381