arrowstik wiring question

johnnotponch

Jul 9, 2010
nj
i have an older arrowstik as-10 with the following wire colors, black, yellow, orange, blue, grey, brown, & green. i know black is the positive & each other color matches a segment on the light when i power it. my problem is all the diagrams i have found for the controller, dont match the colors i have. unfortunately, the box doesnt have the schematic on it. i opened it up as well & the only reference i could find is that is p/n 7458. this is the code3 box with the selector knob & power switch. it doenst have the buttons for dimming etc. any suggestions, insight as to how i can connect the 2?

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
Your Code 3 ArrowStik controller should have a 7-pin green plug on the back of it, and also one black flying lead with a yellow male 1/4" quick disconnect at the end.

The controller probably looks something like this:

awww.skinnerelectric.com_code3_arrowstik.jpg

The green plug is normally wired like this:

[Broken External Image]:http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/5096/greenplug.png

An AS-10 is normally found to be wired something like this:

[Broken External Image]:http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/9027/as10.png

The following instructions ought to be of some value to you. You will need to substitute the correct wire colors for your ArrowSitk.

On the back of the controller:

The flying lead (black) should be connected to ground.

On the green plug:

The wire at position seven (depicted as red) should be connected to +12v DC.

The wire at position one (depicted as brown) should be connected to the farthest right segment of the ArrowStik.

The wire at position two (depicted as orange) should be connected to the right-center segment of the ArrowStik.

The wire at position three (depicted as violet) should be connected to the center segment of the ArrowStik.

The wire at position four (depicted as yellow) should be connected to the left-center segment of the ArrowStik.

The wire at position five (depicted as blue) should be connected to the farthest left segment of the ArrowStik.

On the ArrowStik harness:

The black lead, which you already know is for power, should be connected to +12v DC.

johnnotponch

Jul 9, 2010
nj
thanks, that really helps alot. i dont have access to drawing tools right now, but looking at your as10 diagram, if you label each segment from left to right as 1-10. my bar is configured slightly different. for example:

1=yellow wire

2&3=blue wire

4&5=grey wire

6&7=brown wire

8&9=green wire

10=orange wire

what you provided is good info, i will try your suggestion & see how it looks

thanks again

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
You will have trouble with this setup, as you have 6 wires, but your controller only has 5 outputs.

As I see it, you have three options:

• You could instead find and use a controller that has 6 outputs instead of 5 outputs.

You could tie the grey wire and brown wire to the center output of your controller, and have elements 4 through 7 all light up at the same time.

You could internally rewire your AS-10 so that the elements are paired in a manner that is more friendly to your 5-output controller, such as:

[list:hfj8mx26]1&2=yellow wire
    3&4=blue wire
    5&6=grey wire
    7&8=brown wire
    9&10=green wire
    N/C=orange wire
[/list:u:hfj8mx26]

Good luck!

May 21, 2010
Berlin, MI, 48002
Sounds like he has an older style As-10 that also takes the older style slider switch arrow control box (w/8? LEDs on the front). I've never tried it, but, can you work the old style AS-10 with a newer style box like the one pictured?

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
I've never seen an older style control box. Can you provide a picture? Do you know its part number? Is there a manual available for it? I would have been more cautious in providing information, had I known there was an older style of controller that might wire right up.

Shawn L

May 21, 2010
Corbett, Oregon
the middle one in the pic is a powitive switched controler, while the top and bottom are ground switched, and they also have aux inputs for aux flash on , and brake/ turn inputs . the top and bottom models also hve a different flash pattern than the standard center four and outer 4 light flash pattern

Clarence H said:
I have an older controller.

Clarence

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.