Atlanta HERO Motorist Assist

efdny2003

Apr 18, 2011
united states, ny
We have similar trucks like that in NYS, here their acronym is HELP-Highway Emergency Local Patrol. They are scattered throughout NYS and cover/"patrol" major state highways. They are effective and I've personally had to call them when my car stalled out a few years ago, only problem I've ever had with them is that they have red lights, and that truck you pictured has a full red bar to the front. I've had an issue with that as they are not emergency vehicles nor official vehicles of any sort and at least here in NYS have commercial tags. Just my opinion on that though.

jph2

Apr 21, 2012
USA Michigan
MDOT sponsors a Courtesy Patrol in metro Detroit. They're equipped with a single red rotating beacon and a couple of little yellow strobes, which can be operated independent of each other, on a white van. That's consistent with tow trucks, which can also operate reds in MI.

EngCo4

Oct 12, 2010
USA Virginia
Phillyrube;

Is that a RED bar on the front of that vehicle?

What kind of authorization for RED does it get?

Highway assistance vehicles should be AMBER.

Last edited by a moderator:

galawdawg

Sep 2, 2012
Northeast Georgia
EngCo4 said:
Phillyrube;

Is that a RED bar on the front of that vehicle?

What kind of authorization for RED does it get?

Highway assistance vehicles should be AMBER.

Georgia law provides that the Commissioner of Public Safety designates emergency vehicles. Blue is limited to law enforcement only. Red is governed by Georgia Rule 570-11-.03, which provides that:

570-11-.03 Designation of Emergency Vehicles Authorized to use Flashing or Revolving Red Lights. Amended.

(1) The Department may designate a vehicle as an emergency vehicle, allowing such vehicle to operate flashing or revolving red lights, when the person, firm, corporation or governmental agency shall demonstrate to the Department a proven need for equipping such vehicle with flashing or revolving red lights.

(2) The following are criteria that the Department of Public Safety will consider in determining whether or not the vehicle will be designated as an emergency vehicle, and must be expounded on by the applicant on the application and statement of use.

(a) What the vehicle is used for.

(

B) How the vehicle is used.

© When the vehicle is used.

(d) Why a flashing or revolving red light is needed for such use.

(3) The following groups of applicants must also meet the following additional criteria prior to emergency vehicle designation.

(a) Ambulances.

1. Submit a notarized application and statement of use for designation (DPS-41) in duplicate.

2. Submit a copy of the Department of Human Resources Emergency Medical Team Certification.

3. Pay all necessary fees, if applicable.

(

B) Emergency Management Vehicles.

1. Submit a notarized application and statement of use (DPS-41) for designation in duplicate.

2. Submit an Emergency Light Certification from the Emergency Management Division, Georgia Emergency Management Agency, State of Georgia.

3. Pay all necessary fees, if applicable.

4. Applicants must be at least eighteen (18) years of age.

© Volunteer Fireman.

1. Submit a notarized application and statement of use (DPS-41) for designation in duplicate.

(i) The notarized statement of use shall include an affidavit as to the applicant's active membership in a bona fide Volunteer Fire Department.

(ii) The application shall be signed by the County Commissioner, Mayor, City Manager, County Fire Marshal or Fire Chief.

2. Applicants must be at least eighteen (18) years of age.

If the vehicle is approved as an emergency vehicle, it is authorized to use flashing or revolving red as well as siren. Rule 570-11-.02 provides that "Designation as an Emergency Vehicle Authorized to use Flashing or Revolving Red Lights -- shall authorize the use of red flashing or revolving lights to respond to emergency situations such as accidents, fires and disasters, such vehicles so designated may be operated pursuant to Ga. Code 68A-107 as now or hereafter amended."

Squad-6

May 21, 2010
N. GA
HERO units use red and sirens because they are minimum EMR certified, assisting on any medical or accident scene on their stretch of interstate. They are not grease monkeys, wannabes, wackers, CERT, or REACT. They are part of the 911 & EMS System on GA Interstates in congested areas. These are state vehicles operated by trained and certified state employees.

chono

Jun 5, 2010
Midwest
Squad-6 said:
HERO units use red and sirens because they are minimum EMR certified, assisting on any medical or accident scene on their stretch of interstate. They are not grease monkeys, wannabes, wackers, CERT, or REACT. They are part of the 911 & EMS System on GA Interstates in congested areas. These are state vehicles operated by trained and certified state employees.

Very smart idea.

WS224

Nov 28, 2010
West Tennessee
Squad-6 said:
YES! Beat TN to the cooler acronym! Wouldn't you rather have a hero than a hiru?

What's strange, is that they are called "Help" trucks.

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
efdny2003 said:
We have similar trucks like that in NYS, here their acronym is HELP-Highway Emergency Local Patrol. They are scattered throughout NYS and cover/"patrol" major state highways. They are effective and I've personally had to call them when my car stalled out a few years ago, only problem I've ever had with them is that they have red lights, and that truck you pictured has a full red bar to the front. I've had an issue with that as they are not emergency vehicles nor official vehicles of any sort and at least here in NYS have commercial tags. Just my opinion on that though.

I have previously delt with these guys a lot and they were always courteous and at the ready to assist the FD with anything, especially traffic control!!

Run by the NYS DOT, Sponsored by State Farm.

https://www.dot.ny.gov/divisions/operating/oom/transportation-systems/systems-optimization-section/ny-moves/help-program

https://www.dot.ny.gov/programs/brochures/helptrucks

The first one pictured appears to me, to have Red facing to the front, although the only ones I ever encountered had Amber to the front.

afarm7.staticflickr.com_6233_6348062390_59b17985f7.jpg

afarm3.staticflickr.com_2614_3904145257_a5242c8b58.jpghttp://farm3.staticflickr.com/2614/3904145257_a5242c8b58.jpg

Lol and minus the obvious FAIL here, a comparable vehicle to the one the OP pictured earlier, although I have never seen one of these before near me, only the utility bed ones...

[Broken External Image]:http://failblog.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/24e50456-e471-44b3-a22d-e84ebce7381d.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

efdny2003

Apr 18, 2011
united states, ny
Zapp Brannigan said:
I have previously delt with these guys a lot and they were always courteous and at the ready to assist the FD with anything, especially traffic control!!

Run by the NYS DOT, Sponsored by State Farm.

https://www.dot.ny.gov/divisions/operating/oom/transportation-systems/systems-optimization-section/ny-moves/help-program

https://www.dot.ny.gov/programs/brochures/helptrucks

The first one pictured appears to me, to have Red facing to the front, although the only ones I ever encountered had Amber to the front.

afarm7.staticflickr.com_6233_6348062390_59b17985f7.jpg

afarm3.staticflickr.com_2614_3904145257_a5242c8b58.jpghttp://farm3.staticflickr.com/2614/3904145257_a5242c8b58.jpg

Lol and minus the obvious FAIL here, a comparable vehicle to the one the OP pictured earlier, although I have never seen one of these before near me, only the utility bed ones...

[Broken External Image]:http://failblog.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/24e50456-e471-44b3-a22d-e84ebce7381d.jpg

They are definitely always very eager and willing to help, I deal with them often around me. The last one you pictured has been around my area a lot along with the regular pick ups. Problem is while I know some are run by state employees, a lot at least around my area are contracted with major tow companies and driven by tow operators; and as I said have commercial plates. My issue is when you have vehicles with commercial tags with red lights, its just like a lot of tow trucks that are coming out that have a wide array of red lights, they are service vehicles which is amber not red.

Hoser

Jun 25, 2010
Ohio
I think that its great of companies to support the programs like this. As far a commercial tag's go some private fire companies also run commercial tags on their apparatus. People dont pay enough attention to Amber, especially when driving 80mph on multi lane highway. When someone has trouble in the fast lane and car's and trucks are fly'n by its great to have someone there.

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010

emt.micah

Sep 6, 2012
Northwest Indiana
There is a similar program in northwest Indiana called Hoosier Helpers, also sponsored by State Farm. Similar type of utility trucks too.

However....major lighting fail, about half the lights on the back of the rig are white. And they all flash together. No patterns, no nothing. I'll try to get some video. It's embarrassing.

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
efdny2003 said:
They are definitely always very eager and willing to help, I deal with them often around me. The last one you pictured has been around my area a lot along with the regular pick ups. Problem is while I know some are run by state employees, a lot at least around my area are contracted with major tow companies and driven by tow operators; and as I said have commercial plates. My issue is when you have vehicles with commercial tags with red lights, its just like a lot of tow trucks that are coming out that have a wide array of red lights, they are service vehicles which is amber not red.

I don't think I have ever seen any NYS HELP trucks run red unless they are the NYPD HELP trucks down in the city.

Mike L.

May 21, 2010
Everett, WA
Why start a discussion on why they have red lights? That is pointless. Most of these programs are affiliated with State Government (i.e. highway departments) and therefore are legally authorized. It doesn't matter if a tow company is driving it or a state employee. If they meet the training requirements set forth by the state then who really cares?

We have them here in WA and I have dealt with them in my cop days. They run red lights and sirens and will respond code. Their goal is to have ALL traffic incidents resolved within 90 minutes. They handle Hazmat, traffic control, radio communications, scene command, and other duties in addition to assisting motorists. Most of our Incident Response units are pickups but we also have the units similar to the OP posted. We also have tow trucks as well. Most of the new ones have amber lights for assisting and red lights for responding.

JustinB

Aug 24, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Our help trucks here in TN are authorized code 3 RED lights and siren. not only do they assist stranded motorists, they are also certified 1st responders or NREMT's to render aid on highway incidents. I work the 911 system here in Knoxville, TN and having them onscene is a HUGE help. :thumbsup:

Mike L.

May 21, 2010
Everett, WA
rmemtman said:
Our help trucks here in TN are authorized code 3 RED lights and siren. not only do they assist stranded motorists, they are also certified 1st responders or NREMT's to render aid on highway incidents. I work the 911 system here in Knoxville, TN and having them onscene is a HUGE help. :thumbsup:

Our regular tow trucks are authorized to have red lights as well and are considered emergency vehicles. Even though they can't run code except through the traffic back up caused by the incident. As a cop I loved this because it gave us a lot of authority with the tow trucks when called them.

With them considered emergency vehicles allowed us to cite people for interfering with their response which ultimately led to the incident being resolved faster.

Our Incident Response can run code but I rarely see it.

WSDOT - Incident Response Program

http://farm8.static.flickr.com/7144/6551621463_987382b362.jpg Picture of IR and WSP posing

http://farm8.static.flickr.com/7199/6798673924_6be8dccf0e.jpg Picture of several IR units leading the procession for fallen trooper Tony Radelescu

http://farm8.static.flickr.com/7082/7116415903_5d3812405a.jpg Inside of an IR vehicle

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6164/6173271988_1df6e6b46d.jpg IRT in action

Jan 16, 2012
orange county ny
lafd55 said:
I don't think I have ever seen any NYS HELP trucks run red unless they are the NYPD HELP trucks down in the city.

On State RT 17 NYS Help trucks ( the quickway , Orange County NY ) The used to have red facing foward, with red /amber/blue facing rear. Now I see them with white and amber facing foward and red/amber facing rear.

kitn1mcc

May 24, 2010
Old lyme ct
for a while the trucks for NYS were coming from Dowling ford in Chesire CT and we did the installs up here in cobalt CT,. for years they specked rotars only

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
I never saw any commercial agencies with emergeny response units in the 22 yrs that I lived in NY, and it was new to me when I moved to FL and saw that State Farm has ROAD RANGER units that operate on the highways only. They help ppl on the side of the highway with changing tires, bringing them a gallon or two of gas to get them to the nearest gas station, etc. The biggest thing they do to help IMHO is helping my fire dept move vehicles out of the roadway and onto the shoulder (once everyone has been extricated). They operate with Isuzu trucks with legend or justice towman lightbars and an arrow board, or a utility with a small bed on an F-250 or similar (I'm guessing those are more supervisors). They're great for putting a few hundred yards before an accident scene to warn ppl of an MVA up ahead b/c they're usually one of the first vehicles on scene of an MVA and we then don't have to dedicate a piece of apparatus that far away. They are also dispatched by FHP (state troopers).

We also have severe incident response units operated by DOT. I've never personally worked with them or seen them running code 3, but I've seen them a bunch of times in E-series fords with a large utility box to the rear. They have red lights and a whelen projector siren on the bumper. Not sure what type of equipment they carry or what their function is, but my guess is that they're used mostly to help with traffic

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
PS I understand state or federal DOT agencies having authority to have RLS on their vehicles, but I'm not sure how I feel about private companies like State Farm (even if they regularly work alongside emergeny crews) having such authority and justifying their need for red lights. State Farm road rangers in FL only have amber lights but, like I said earlier, they're usually one of the first units to arrive on scene

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Mike L. said:
Why start a discussion on why they have red lights? That is pointless. Most of these programs are affiliated with State Government (i.e. highway departments) and therefore are legally authorized. It doesn't matter if a tow company is driving it or a state employee. If they meet the training requirements set forth by the state then who really cares?

I care. I thought it was a good discussion. This is a light/warning discussion board. I was curious about this too, and was going to post asking a similar but less accusatory question. But instead I read the post, and now I know... everyone learned something. There is nothing wrong with asking why a vehicle is setup or responds the way it does. I don't want people to be discouraged from questioning why vehicles are designed the way they are. We won't get better as an industry without asking ourselves and others why we do things the way we do.

That said, this perticular question came with an assertion that road assistance trucks should only be amber. The addition of the statement onto the question is probably what caused it be construed as trollish or unnecessary. I think it was more of a demonstration of why the question was necessary. The user clearly didn't understand the role of the vehicle, or how it was different from the ones in his location. The cool thing here was people responded and explained, with additional cool pictures, exactly why it was designed as such.

When someone questions a setup and OP/others respond with pics and a detailed response, everyone wins.

MESDA6

Jun 2, 2010
Central IL and PHX
Although it varies from state to state, the State Farm or other logos on the vehicle is nothing more than a sponsorship in most cases.

In return for a little advertising, they buy and outfit the truck, and may in some cases pay a portion of the operator's salary. In many of the states, these programs would have been cut from the budget by now if not for private sponsorship.

The men and women working these vehicles are usually either DOT employees, or DOT contractors, which means they are background checked and go through training for the types of responses each program calls for. I would much rather have one of these trucks stop to help my wife or mother with a breakdown, than have some unknown person stop that may have questionable motives.

I don't care what color lights they have if it helps them safely do their job. The people in this position will do more "First Responder" duties in a year than many of us will do in a lifetime, all while risking their life as the motoring public whizzes by without slowing down. I say give them whatever they need to safely accomplish their mission.

Mike L.

May 21, 2010
Everett, WA
JohnMarcson said:
I care. I thought it was a good discussion. This is a light/warning discussion board. I was curious about this too, and was going to post asking a similar but less accusatory question. But instead I read the post, and now I know... everyone learned something. There is nothing wrong with asking why a vehicle is setup or responds the way it does. I don't want people to be discouraged from questioning why vehicles are designed the way they are. We won't get better as an industry without asking ourselves and others why we do things the way we do.

That said, this perticular question came with an assertion that road assistance trucks should only be amber. The addition of the statement onto the question is probably what caused it be construed as trollish or unnecessary. I think it was more of a demonstration of why the question was necessary. The user clearly didn't understand the role of the vehicle, or how it was different from the ones in his location. The cool thing here was people responded and explained, with additional cool pictures, exactly why it was designed as such.

When someone questions a setup and OP/others respond with pics and a detailed response, everyone wins.

I agree with your logic and I don't mind genuine questions about why a vehicle is set up the way it is. Having been on the board for several years, I have seen a lot of these questions turn ugly fast. I really don't care as long as it is LEGAL in the state they operate. By Legal I mean justified under state law not "well we have an agreement with the local (insert agency name here) and they don't say anything" crap.

Mike L.

May 21, 2010
Everett, WA
Good footage of one of our Incident Response trucks at about 1:45. The van with the amber val-u-bar is an operations supervisor for King County Metro (our bus line). The tow truck is a King County Metro tow truck and is not for hire.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Skippy said:
Florida's Severe Incident Response:
ai48.tinypic.com_2zhlgya.jpg

Besides the whelen siren, it also has Federal Electronic Q

Rear

ai49.tinypic.com_2814yah.jpg

Wow, those are nicer than the junk FDOT SIRV's down in my neck of SE Florida...The E-series we have look older, only have a slimline 100W speaker mounted to the bumper on a bail bracket (very tacky looking the way they did it), and have horrible diagonal flash patterns.

Like I said earlier, I have no idea what they really do each time I see them (their website says "carries specialized equipment and supplies such as bottled water, to support Safe, Quick Clearance of traffic incidents."), but I've never seen any of their compartments open or equipment being used from their truck.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cmoore77

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.