Attempting to Hardwire my Car.

JPolston

Mar 27, 2012
Indiana, USA
I'm fed up with wires throughout my car, so I'm about to really focus on hardwiring my lights in my new Impala. I'm wanting to learn how to do this so I can start a side business for myself. So.. Educate me folks.

First up, what I got.  I have a 2014 Chevy Impala LT Limited. Inside I have an AWL Venom v1, I replaced the Talon on the dash with a SnM Triple Threat, in back I have a Feniex Cobra 2x. I plan on buying an AWL 6 module Axis Plus warning bar when Tom gets them release and putting that in the back. Not sure what I'll do with the Cobra 2x after that. I also have 2 AWL Tir3s I got when I bought my Venom that I plan on putting in the rear passenger "wing" windows for intersection, unless I can find a couple Talons(passive) or Avengers to put up there. Also looking at going for an HLF. Considering some sort of blue/amber hideaways in the rear lights as well. Think this will work? Add ons? Subractions? Go to hells? lol

Second, how to control it. I have an AWL RX Series controller I purchased when I got the Venom. I know it's a dinky box, but it can work from what I've been told. However, I'm wanting to be able to use all functions in my Venom, and eventually the rear bar, that means directional patterns as well. Would like to be able to have a "master" to turn everything(venom and other front warning, intersection, rear bar, and other rear warning) on at once for warning, but also be able to turn on Venom only, and rear only for when I just need access to one or both of them for directional function. This basically shuts down the RX controller. I'm fairly "intelligent" for what lights to buy, but if you move into controllers, sirens, power supplies, I'm in the doghouse and couldn't tell you anything. What in the world should I select? Best one I've seen is the Feniex 4200, but I don't have enough to drop a cool $490.00 for such a great little device. Really trying to stay below $100 for it, but I could push $150.

Third, how in the world am I going to wire this? Buy a supply? Second battery and things in the trunk? What things do I exactly need? I know where I can get plenty of wiring and the looms. What gauge should I consider? Where would be the best location to run the wires? Where would be the best location for the controller in my Impala?

I want this as clean as I can get it, I just got this car and I'm trying to keep it slick, on top of learning a new trade. I live in central Indiana(Hancock county) and may be willing to consider a professional installer if anyone knows someone close, trying to stay within the donut counties.

All help is appreciated!

Jeremy

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

Dec 18, 2010
Taunton, MA
It's going to be a project, that's for sure. When I get a minute, I'll try to do a drawing for you

Reactions: JPolston

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
Depends greatly on what kind of controller you end up with. Something like the Feniex 4200 or a Whelen PCC8R is a "remote" control. That means that there is one multi-conductor cable that runs from the "buttons" to the "box" and everything else connects to the "box."

For a setup like that, you need to run adequate gauge wire from the positive battery terminal, fuse 12-18" from battery, then to the box. From there, all your lights get hooked up to the desired outputs and they are activated by the buttons. Each light then should be grounded to the frame of the vehicle.

If you're using a more basic switchbox, you run your main power directly to that box and hook everything up to those outputs.

Keep an eye on the classifieds here, you can snag some good deals on controllers.

Reactions: JPolston

RyanZ71

Jun 14, 2011
Denver, Colorado
I'll add to this thread.  For those of you out there who have worked on the 2007-Current Impala 9C1s (and civilian models) how hard is it to get the headliner down?  I have an antenna I need to mount and will be running some wires for future use as well. 

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
Sorry, never dropped the headliner on any of those.

Skippy

Jul 3, 2010
Florida, USA
The only two I've penetrated were an explorer and a ranger. Both times I snaked the wire to the side without taking down the headliner.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kd8bao

Mar 8, 2012
Independence, Ohio
The only roof I've penetrated was an explorer and a ranger. Both times I snaked the wire to the side without taking down the headliner.
agreed. If only pulling one wire, don't pull the whole thing out. pull the weather stripping off and go in from there. take a small block of wood for a spacer if you need to get your arm in there.

I have installed 6 nmo mounts and a full light bar and never considered pulling the liner out. my .02

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StormChase85

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.