ATV Lighting Switch

BigWil

May 22, 2010
Ontario
I'm looking to do a very basic install on an ATV shortly. What kind of switch setups have you guys used in the past? I'd prefer something that can be mounted to the handlebars for ease of use while using the ATV. Please provide pics if you have them.

May 21, 2010
California
There are many 12v waterproof switches available out there.. .finding them is the hard part..

I have used Judco switches..

Judco,Judcomfg,Judco Mfg,Judco Manufacturing,Judco Manufacturing Inc,electric switches,switch,switches,pushbutton switches,rocker switches,wire harnesses,toggle switches,slide switches,injection molding,PCB,keypads,toggle switches,focuslite,focus-lit

But one of the cleanest setups I have seen lately is:

Joker Machine's Harley Catalog

You can request different covers for them also... but I have used these and they have Judco switches inside them...

Up to 10amps per switch in most cases..

PJD642

May 20, 2010
east of Cleveland
Our ATV just has two switches...one for the LEDs (basic at beat, but whatever) and one for the siren (58 watt?) - It's a remote unit set to yelp. There's nothing fancy about 'em...two big (waterproof?) toggle switches on the left side of the gas tank towards the front. They just used the existing holes in the body and mounted the switches. It's been that way for about 6 years now w/ no issues.

I'll try to get pictures this afternoon. Certainly not impressive or a "Cajun"-worthy install (or any of the other guys I'm impressed by on here), but seriously, the LEDs we have are plenty sufficient for riding trails and making an occasional traffic stop on a dirt road. (Unless something is really f*ed up, we don't pursue or run code on it.)

Off topic, the LEDs are TIR4s. I keep changing them to "all on" flash patterns, and some jerk keeps changing them to splits (2 and 2) patterns. I'm gonna change 'em to an "all-on" and snip that yellow wire at the base someday soon....

AZEMT

May 21, 2010
Phoenix, AZ USA
Jared @ 911Lights said:
Those Joker Switches look very nice, but boy are they pricey.

"Switch housings and buttons are fully CNC machined from 6061-T6 billet aluminum."No wonder! You could run them over with the bike and they'd probably still work! But I'll bet they're a hit with the custom bike crowd. For some of those guys, nothing goes on the bike unless it's nice and shiny! :crazy:

EVModules

May 16, 2010
Deer Park, WA
I had that same dilemma when I wanted to add switches to my ATV. No real place to put it using crappy brackets so I ended up going rogue by starting at the beginning. I put them exactly where I wanted them and made brackets & welded them to the handlebars. Mind you, it wasn't a hack job. I took off the components leaving them bare and worked with it until it was done, smoothed out, primed & painted and reassembled everything. Sure, it took a little longer but at least it's my ATV!

If you have that option, it may be easier than you think and often the only solution especially if you want the "tightness" of your setup without resorting to ugly brackets that screams "I'M AFTERMARKET!"

linemanjas

May 26, 2010
Layton, Utah
custom made a little bracket for the momentary push button switch for the siren

ai149.photobucket.com_albums_s44_linemanjas_4_20wheeler_drysuit030.jpg

ai149.photobucket.com_albums_s44_linemanjas_4_20wheeler_drysuit029.jpg

and mounted two switches, one for front and one for rear warning, fairly easy install

ai149.photobucket.com_albums_s44_linemanjas_4_20wheeler_addedto4whlr003.jpg

ai149.photobucket.com_albums_s44_linemanjas_4_20wheeler_SAR4whlr006.jpg

BigWil

May 22, 2010
Ontario
Thanks for the advice, guys...I'm going to see if I can find a cheap switch on Ebay that will work. I want it handlebar mounted, but nothing permanently installed...it's a military machine, and I'm not authorized to modify it. Everything needs to be easily installed in a non-permanent fashion, with no holes drilled.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ragnarok

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.