Axixtech or Whelen PAR36

grfd711

Jun 23, 2010
Sherwood, AR
I've had the seven diode Axixtech par36 lightheads and the Whelen par36 200 series TIR6 lightheads. I thought the Whelen par36s were brighter. As far as mounting, they were both mounted in the rubber "buckets" for any 4" round light. Might want to clarify if you're using the fog light housing.

C2Installs

May 24, 2010
Tennessee
DO NOT BUY AXIXTECH FOR THE CHARGER. The 6 Chargers I put Axixtech Par-36s all have problems holding synch and pattern. I was told that the lights aren't the problem ( :roll: ) but rather the Dodge's electrical system, which doesn't maintain voltage and "crashes" the light's memory. Whatever, haven't had similar problems with the Whelen or SOS Par-36 lights. In fact, Friday I ordered a set of SOS R4s for our PD's slicktop Charger. They will replace a set of Axixtechs which I had reset the pattern on a dozen times until giving up on them...they have been on steady burn for almost a year now.

cory y

May 21, 2010
That dosent make sense to me, the emergency system should be a different system than the vehicle one, dedicated wiring from the switchbox....

And it should stay at around 13.8 while running...

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
cory y said:
That dosent make sense to me, the emergency system should be a different system than the vehicle one, dedicated wiring from the switchbox....

And it should stay at around 13.8 while running...

Yeah.... That makes no sense at all... they should be wired to a control box which is wired directly to the battery. Any problems would be lightbead related and have nothing to do with what vehicle they are in....

unless they are wired using the existing fog light wires and switch, which I'd be a little hestiant to do.

C2Installs

May 24, 2010
Tennessee
Doesn't make sense to me either. But that was what I was told, on this board I believe, when I pointed out the numerous problems with Axixtech stuff I have seen. Actually, it may have been what I was told by the Responder PSE/Project Responder fellow when I met him at the Fleet Expo in the Rontan Booth. Regardless, I am more than competent as an installer and have yet to see a set of Axixtech Par36 lights installed in a Charger that hold their pattern & synch. PERIOD, the end. I have reset the patterns numerous times...enough that I have run extension leads for the synch wires up to the PDC in the engine compartment for ease of reset. I don't know why they are problematic, but they are. I do know that I hooked a PowerProbe III to an '08 Charger last month, at the front PDC, and noticed that the voltage was changing from 13.8/14.1 to below 4 in a rapid manner. Weird...but the Charger is weird.

And the system is wired properly, power obtained per Dodge Upfitter's Guide. If the vehicle's electric system is problematic, then it goes without saying that there will be problems with the accessory lighting. I choose to believe that the problem is Axixtech, more than Dodge, as the other equipment...FedSig, Whelen, SOS, Kenwood, Motorola, Panasonic, L3, Kustom Signals, etc... works fine. But then again, I don't sell Axixtech (anymore) or have any further interest in equipping vehicles with their products.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
C2Installs said:
Doesn't make sense to me either. But that was what I was told, on this board I believe, when I pointed out the numerous problems with Axixtech stuff I have seen. Actually, it may have been what I was told by the Responder PSE/Project Responder fellow when I met him at the Fleet Expo in the Rontan Booth. Regardless, I am more than competent as an installer and have yet to see a set of Axixtech Par36 lights installed in a Charger that hold their pattern & synch. PERIOD, the end. I have reset the patterns numerous times...enough that I have run extension leads for the synch wires up to the PDC in the engine compartment for ease of reset. I don't know why they are problematic, but they are. I do know that I hooked a PowerProbe III to an '08 Charger last month, at the front PDC, and noticed that the voltage was changing from 13.8/14.1 to below 4 in a rapid manner. Weird...but the Charger is weird.

And the system is wired properly, power obtained per Dodge Upfitter's Guide. If the vehicle's electric system is problematic, then it goes without saying that there will be problems with the accessory lighting. I choose to believe that the problem is Axixtech, more than Dodge, as the other equipment...FedSig, Whelen, SOS, Kenwood, Motorola, Panasonic, L3, Kustom Signals, etc... works fine. But then again, I don't sell Axixtech (anymore) or have any further interest in equipping vehicles with their products.

Very odd indeed.

jmjltd

May 26, 2010
Champaign, IL
I've installed both, the Axixtech 7 Diode units were issues in themselves. I have installed 15 pairs of the 10 LED heads, and NOT ONE PROBLEM. some in chargers and others in Fords. I think the Axixtech 10 Diode units are far superior to Whelen. For what its worth.

C2Installs

May 24, 2010
Tennessee
I haven't had any recent experience with Axixtech, having stopped and/or recommending them two or so years ago due to the problems. If they have improved their quality, great. But I won't be taking the chance with them. No reason to, as there are other brands which have remained reliable, not used customers as beta testers, and are priced similarly. I just can't trust the brand and trust some of the more vocal sellers even less, as many have implied I am somehow improperly installing the light and claim their failure rates are so low as to be non-existent. Sure.

So back to the OP's question...buy the Whelen or the SOS or Tomar units. The SOS R4 uses a TIR-type optic, which I feel makes more sense for the application.

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
DEPUTYSTEPHENSON said:
Has anyone put the Whelen LINZ6 in the fog light hole (just mount it straight to the black filler).

I've seen TIR3's mounted there a lot. They aren't bad looking, but I think fog light LED's are a waste bc of how low they are. I would prefer to just have fog lights...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ragnarok

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.