Back feed problem

zsiya

May 22, 2010
AL
So I installed some LEDs on an older patrol unit today. Install was simple (visor bar and 2 LINZ4s) Drive the car around, show it off-no problem. Give the keys back and get ready to leave and hear the SOUNDS of a FLASH PATTERN. Go over and the rear LEDs are flashing, the PA is crackling in rhythm to the lights and the radio is flashing to the beat. AGHH!!! After checking EVERYTHING, find out it happens when the trunk is all the way open-not half way, all. Radio antenna has been mounted to the trunk lid prior to the LEDs. Any suggestions?

C2Installs

May 24, 2010
Tennessee
If it's a Crown Vic, does it have the one or two (depending on year) additional ground straps near the hinges? These are flat, braided, nylon coated straps that connect from the trunk lid to the hinge base and are typically ziptied down on the hinge. If not, you need to add them to ensure the trunklid is properly grounded. Ford adds them if you order the "Radio (RFI) Suppression" package. I add them to any car I build in which I mount an antenna on the trunk.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesseclark2448

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.