Back-up alarm

Squad-6

May 21, 2010
N. GA
What DB back alarm do I need for a gas powered ford super duty?

Also is it as simple to install as splicing into the reverse light wire?

irsa76

May 24, 2010
Australia, NSW
Where is the vehicle operated normally?

A loud alarm would be a better bet for noisy enviroments but is very annoying in quiet areas. Like wise a quieter alarm would be albut useless in a noisy enviroment.

FedSig Reactor adjusts to ambient noise, not sure how well it works though. Not sure how they are activated normally, but I guess a simple splice job is all that is required.

I've got a factory Mercedes backup alarm on my work Sprinter and it's part of the transmission control unit, it's dual output.

NPS Ranger

May 21, 2010
Penn's Woods
I remember posting something about this on the old board.

I've been using ECCO model 901 units, they self-adjust from 82-107 dB depending on the ambient noise level and have a lifetime warranty. They are made in USA and meet OSHA, Bureau of Mines, and GSA "K-Spec." are UL approved, and conform to SAE J994 and SAE J1211. And yes it's as simple as splicing into the backup wire and also a ground wire, the unit only draws 0.3 amps.

http://www.eccolink.com/ProductPages/Pr ... &catalog=2

swbc20

May 31, 2010
Honolulu, HI
Another thing to look into is what they call a broadband backup alarm. They are starting to gain popularity, but like anything new that is "different" it's gonna take some getting use to. Instead of the mono toned backup alarms that we are familiar with, this one emits tones at several frequencies at the same time... I can't even describe the sound. It's a lot quieter, but you are actually able to localize where the sound comes from because it's directional, so it doesn't have to be really loud. If you live in the city, it could come in handy because the sounds tend to bounce of buildings. No point in warning the whole neighborhood about you backing up.. it's the behind you you're worried about.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
swbc20 said:
Another thing to look into is what they call a broadband backup alarm. They are starting to gain popularity, but like anything new that is "different" it's gonna take some getting use to. Instead of the mono toned backup alarms that we are familiar with, this one emits tones at several frequencies at the same time... I can't even describe the sound. It's a lot quieter, but you are actually able to localize where the sound comes from because it's directional, so it doesn't have to be really loud. If you live in the city, it could come in handy because the sounds tend to bounce of buildings. No point in warning the whole neighborhood about you backing up.. it's the behind you you're worried about.

Sounds like a busted/broken/defective reverse alarm IMO.. :lol: :lol:

NPS Ranger

May 21, 2010
Penn's Woods
I like an alarm that tells people I'm backing up, not makes them look for the shorted out power line. The self-adjusting one I mentioned above is pretty soft in a quiet environment but at least sounds like a backup warning.

Some of the trash trucks around here are starting to use warbling alarms that sound kind of like a bird... effective, but they're godawful loud at 6 AM.

Sigma Safety

May 21, 2010
western Canada
swbc20 said:
Another thing to look into is what they call a broadband backup alarm.

Yeah, we demo'd a few of those to various cities here and none of them went for it. "Not instantly recognizeable" was the main complaint.

We sell a fair number of the FedSig model 260 which is an auto-adjust backup alarm. They work really well and provide only enough volume to be heard, without warning people in the next city. The only time it doesn't work well is when you are backing into a garage - the sound reflects off the walls in the garage and makes the backup alarm think it's a noisy environment, so it bumps up to full output because it's hearing it's own reflected sound. :?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.