Back window suggestion

bfd740

Jul 4, 2010
Babylon, NY
I have a '96 Grand Cherokee and I'm looking to put something in the back window. I never buy anything that's not Whelen, but I'm strongly considering putting two mini phantoms back there.

On the left I need blue/amber, and on the right I need blue/red. This is one of the few dual lights that come in both of those color combos. I'm not looking to break the bank. The glass has the factory tint.

What would you suggest? I'm not looking to spend more than $200 on this. Another option is 4 TIR3's or something similar (LIN3, GL3.) The two head TIR3 Dominators don't come in blue/amber and are more expensive

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
bfd740 said:
I have a '96 Grand Cherokee and I'm looking to put something in the back window. I never buy anything that's not Whelen, but I'm strongly considering putting two mini phantoms back there.

On the left I need blue/amber, and on the right I need blue/red. This is one of the few dual lights that come in both of those color combos. I'm not looking to break the bank. The glass has the factory tint.

What would you suggest? I'm not looking to spend more than $200 on this. Another option is 4 TIR3's or something similar (LIN3, GL3.) The two head TIR3 Dominators don't come in blue/amber and are more expensive

i would go with a gen III tir3-type light to go thru tint, thus i personally would not go with the phantoms. i know u wanted to go with whelen but i think that axixtech is a comparable but more cost-effective option for you.

thus, i'd go with 2 brookings/axixtech deck lights (http://www.strobesnmore.com/dual-radian ... ights.html), which are slightly more than the $200 but they'll pack a nice punch thru the tint OR, although there's no amber, project responder PSE is selling the axixtech 4 commanders (a comparable equiv. to the domiantor IMO) for $110, so u could get 2 of those (http://www.responderpse.com/d719-4-Head ... d-Blue.htm).

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
Don't get Gen1, you'll be disappointed. Stick with gen3 TIR, it'll work the best. I'd do the 4 TIR3s you suggested.

May 22, 2010
Central WV
You could do an UltraLite 4 in B/A/A/R, B/A/R/A, etc unless you are looking to have two independent units. Then in that case I'd go with an UltraLite 2 or four LED3s on brackets (which would give you the most flexibility). Let me know if you have any questions.

bfd740

Jul 4, 2010
Babylon, NY
I think what I'm going to do, is replace my LIN4 grille lights with LINZ6's, and move the 4's to the back window ($142)

btw, this is me:

dustymedic

May 21, 2010
Columbus,OH
The GEN 1 lights in Mini-Phantoms will not be very noticeable through the Mopar factory SUV hatch tint. I know this from first hand experience...

deputychief301

May 21, 2010
Snow Belt, Michigan
I would replace all of the lin's with tir style as the tir styles are bright the further

back you get, using the linz6's was the biggest disappointment whelen ever came

out with and alot of people were disappointed with them. The pods (Tir) would be

a good choice and use the 4 head spilt models for the front and use the 6 head pods

for the back window, pods are a nice bright product and the cost factor is also

lower using the pods.I would put a 6head in each corner of the back window.

Just my 2 cents

Jim Rogers

grfd711

Jun 23, 2010
Sherwood, AR
I would not try to use any style of linear lights through tint. Have seen troopers cars' with dual Talons in the back and it was a waste of money & light. If it's a lighter tint, do some type of gen III TIR style lighthead. If it's dark tint, you're wasting your money putting any LED behind it. Considering you have a Grand Cherokee, I believe you should have a blank spot in your taillight you could put a HAW strobe at 20 watts into it, as a former Captain I know did this in his Grand Cherokee, but his was a few years earlier than yours, so don't know if you have that "empty" spot or not.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
deputychief301 said:
I would replace all of the lin's with tir style as the tir styles are bright the further
back you get, using the linz6's was the biggest disappointment whelen ever came

out with and alot of people were disappointed with them. The pods (Tir) would be

a good choice and use the 4 head spilt models for the front and use the 6 head pods

for the back window, pods are a nice bright product and the cost factor is also

lower using the pods.I would put a 6head in each corner of the back window.

Just my 2 cents

Jim Rogers

I, OTOH, thought the LINZ6 head was a great improvement to the TIR/LIN3 platform that already existed. Utilizing the same mounts/mounting locations, but double the LEDs.... I thought it was a great idea and LINZ6'd my vehicle out when I had it. The output for the head was comparable to the TIR due to double the LEDs.

Some people like stuff, some don't.... :| I always thought the LIN4 head was wierd, like they were trying to copy everyone else, not to mention the gaps in between the individual LEDs. But, this is my opinion and I wouldn't discourage anyone from using this lighthead if it fit their need.

bfd740

Jul 4, 2010
Babylon, NY
grfd711 said:
I would not try to use any style of linear lights through tint. Have seen troopers cars' with dual Talons in the back and it was a waste of money & light. If it's a lighter tint, do some type of gen III TIR style lighthead. If it's dark tint, you're wasting your money putting any LED behind it. Considering you have a Grand Cherokee, I believe you should have a blank spot in your taillight you could put a HAW strobe at 20 watts into it, as a former Captain I know did this in his Grand Cherokee, but his was a few years earlier than yours, so don't know if you have that "empty" spot or not.

I have 4 vertex HAWs in the back - 2 blues in the reverse, and 2 reds in the euro fog area on the bottom (probably that "empty spot" you're talking about)

deputychief301

May 21, 2010
Snow Belt, Michigan
as far as the linz6;s, I guess to each their own, I remember the hipe Whelen

reps were telling the distributors about this new led that was replacing the

lin4s. Well as you tell the linz6;s never really took off, just watch the wanted

action, more people looking for lin4', I do like the housing of the linz6, but they

seem to fizzle out as I showed my consumers the new and improved leds.

This is just my two cents, I will not take any in on trades ect. For some reason

the lin4s were a better lighting, I did have the typical moisture in two sets of

of lin4;s, but just whelens products .I called whelen and was told they would be

replaced by the linz6's, I already had a trade set up to get rid of them.

By the time my lin 4's replacement arrived, thank god whelen did send back lin4's.

I guess it comes down to each their own.My trade of replacement was pods for

the linz6's.

Jim Rogers

Northern Lights/Sirens :mrgreen:

Pods are the Future

bfd740

Jul 4, 2010
Babylon, NY
I have never had any visible moisture inside my lin4's in the two years that I've had them. The only thing is that two or three LED's in each now look kinda goldish-yellow when they're off, but it doesn't seem to have affected the color or intensity. (They were not like this originally, and they are NOT white led's that look yellowish when off to begin with.)

grfd711

Jun 23, 2010
Sherwood, AR
bfd740 said:
I have never had any visible moisture inside my lin4's in the two years that I've had them. The only thing is that two or three LED's in each now look kinda goldish-yellow when they're off, but it doesn't seem to have affected the color or intensity. (They were not like this originally, and they are NOT white led's that look yellowish when off to begin with.)

I removed a buttload of Whelen LEDs from my former vehicle last week, and a dual Talon and LIN6s in mirror beams looked like that.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.