Bad StreetHawk purchase?

Eric2.0

Jan 22, 2020
East Coast
*videos below*
I found this StreetHawk today that the owner said was like new police light and siren. Excited that the siren was intact so I went ahead and got it. On first inspection the entire bar was no place like new at all. All the normal aged blemishes, rust on the bottom, hazed lenses, blown bulbs. It did not have the siren at all, which shocked me because he said it did. The light does work and probably good for parts I guess. The bottom casing has a crack in it which sucks. I thought I'd have a good one to swap out with the all light StreetHawk that also has a bad casing

He wanted 150 but I said oh no way I'll pay that much I said 75, he said 120 and I took it. Oyyyy I tellya....I gotta watch what I spend on these now.

Anyways, hopefully the video explains what I'm on a out.... Thanks.

*This bar may be parted out* I don't know yet

Reactions: kitn1mcc

Eric2.0

Jan 22, 2020
East Coast
I know it

When I first saw it I was like oh God I don't want that thing, to myself, but held on to the notion that I could low ball and have a good parts bar. The guy met me half way and I would feel like an ass if I didn't buy it, so I gave him 120 and told myself taking this as a lesson. I'm pretty sure I will sell parts off of this. I'll know by tomorrow.

Reactions: tsquale

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
That Streethawk is far from being in like new condition. It is in very used, very worn condition. Worth $120? Certainly not to me. It will render some usable parts, but I think your offer of $75 was a reasonable offer.

Eric2.0

Jan 22, 2020
East Coast
That Streethawk is far from being in like new condition. It is in very used, very worn condition. Worth $120? Certainly not to me. It will render some usable parts, but I think your offer of $75 was a reasonable offer.
Definitely payed too much I screwed up. He met me half way because it was a distance, so I guess I felt pressured to not look like an ass, low balling the price or buying nothing at all, wasting his time. So I was like whatever and agreed on 120, while gritting my teeth

Besides a couple of blown bulbs, it does function as a whole and it doesn't have cracked lenses, but they do need a heavy polishing. The bottom plastic piece that I needed for my other StreetHawk, is cracked as well, which was disappointing.

I had fun playing with it last night in the yard to see how bright it is.

My other StreetHawk is all light and I thought about swapping the metal grill off this one, to the all light bar. I always liked the looks of the metal grills
Other option is to part both of them out, make back my money and find a really nice StreetHawk.

I haven't had the best of luck with StreetHawks so far

Eric2.0

Jan 22, 2020
East Coast
As of now, all parts on both of my StreetHawks(one all light/red lenses and one Center housing/red lenses) are for sale. (videos above)

This is my first time selling lightbar stuff online so please give me a break if I mess something up, lol
I'm not out to make a million dollars off of these, would like to break even for what I have invested and maybe a small profit. I also have no idea what these parts are worth, but please make me a fair offer and I will test and make videos of the parts you want.

I'm very busy so don't expect Amazon type quickness in shipping.

Any tips would be nice and I'll do my best, thanks!!

Id like these parts to you all, so I know they won't go to waste and will make this hobby enjoyable.

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
*videos below*
I found this StreetHawk today that the owner said was like new police light and siren. Excited that the siren was intact so I went ahead and got it. On first inspection the entire bar was no place like new at all. All the normal aged blemishes, rust on the bottom, hazed lenses, blown bulbs. It did not have the siren at all, which shocked me because he said it did.
I think you mean the speaker. Some Streethawk bars have speaker grilles but there are no speakers in them.

Jun 18, 2013
PA
Yah I always figured the thing up in the grill that goes weeeeeeee weeeeeeeeee is a siren.
Please forgive my ignorant ass.
I wouldn't worry about it, if I corrected someone every time I see something silly all my posts would be silly as well. ... well they are anyway so no big loss... :D

Just reading this... and yeah.. overpaid. But take it as a learning experience to walk away. Not always easy to do, but sometimes it just needs to be done.

Get to polishing those domes.. clean it up and you got yourself a good display bar.

Eric2.0

Jan 22, 2020
East Coast
I wouldn't worry about it, if I corrected someone every time I see something silly all my posts would be silly as well. ... well they are anyway so no big loss... :D

Just reading this... and yeah.. overpaid. But take it as a learning experience to walk away. Not always easy to do, but sometimes it just needs to be done.

Get to polishing those domes.. clean it up and you got yourself a good display bar.
My plan for this if I don't start selling parts from it, would be to make it a simple plow truck light. Snow season is here and I know where I can get some amber domes.

Replace the reds with ambers, cap the front flashers, turn the rear flashers into work lights and put amber caps on the alleys and turn those into flashers. Flashing side ally's for plowing, because side visibility in and out of a driveway is vital on a plow truck IMO.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Actually leave the TDs intact for more lighting on a dark snowy night while plowing and make the rear flashers into work lights or brake lights
I'd say go "flood/work" lights all around for the lowers and use the uppers for warning. On a plow you don't seed secondary warning, but extra floods in any given direction is a plus.

Reactions: stansdds

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
I would agree, work/flood lights in the base, no real need for flashers with the rotating and sweep lights in the upper section.

Reactions: JohnMarcson

Eric2.0

Jan 22, 2020
East Coast
I would agree, work/flood lights in the base, no real need for flashers with the rotating and sweep lights in the upper section.
That's the plan. Just thought side alleys wouldn't be of use in a plow truck situation, but if they flashed in amber, then it would give better warning on the narrow sides of the bar, while truck is backing in and out of driveways.

If I can find green lenses for the alleys, then I will make the side flashers green... They are allowed on plow vehicles where I am from.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
That's the plan. Just thought side alleys wouldn't be of use in a plow truck situation, but if they flashed in amber, then it would give better warning on the narrow sides of the bar, while truck is backing in and out of driveways.

If I can find green lenses for the alleys, then I will make the side flashers green... They are allowed on plow vehicles where I am from.
If you can find green lower filters consider selling them to pay for the rest of the project....;)

I don't plow so I can't speak to the need for alleys, but I can see wanting a bit of extra side flashing warning. As side floods you would likely need to aim them down for your purposes and I don't think you would be able to get them low enough; so maybe side warning might make more sense.

Reactions: Eric2.0

Eric2.0

Jan 22, 2020
East Coast
I redeemed myself yesterday for the bad purchase of that StreetHawk. Found a Star Signal Mini light 9100led with vacuum magnet mount and cig lighter hookup. Has a momentary pattern select switch, very Brite.
It is brand new in originall box had never been plugged in .. I got it for 100 bucks, price at store is like 350 bucks.....score!
I'm keeping them s one on my work car with winter coming up, it's nice to have for roadsides.

IMG_2023-11-23-12-05-19-860.jpgIMG_2023-11-23-12-06-07-876.jpgIMG_2023-11-23-12-06-42-510.jpg

Eric2.0

Jan 22, 2020
East Coast
If you can find green lower filters consider selling them to pay for the rest of the project....;)

I don't plow so I can't speak to the need for alleys, but I can see wanting a bit of extra side flashing warning. As side floods you would likely need to aim them down for your purposes and I don't think you would be able to get them low enough; so maybe side warning might make more sense.
If I do fix it up that's the way it will go, but it's looking better to parting it out honestly.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ragnarok

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.