May 23, 2010
:popcorn:

Truck26

May 21, 2010
NYC
http://jalopnik.com/5897502/lamborghini-batman-unmasked

'Lamborghini Batman' Unmasked

‘Lamborghini Batman’ Unmasked

The world was first introduced to "Lamborghini Batman" when he was pulled over earlier this week. Now I've finally gotten through to the man behind the mask.

He answered his phone "This is Batman."

But "Lamborghini Batman" isn't the best name for him. Nor is "Route 29 Batman" as the Washington Post calls him. He dresses like Batman not because of some weird cosplay fantasy where he gets to be a superhero. He dresses like Batman so that sick kids can find the superhero in themselves.

Maybe we should just call him "The Awesome Guy Who Dresses Like Batman."

Batman's real name is Lenny Robinson, not Bruce Wayne, and his friends think he's a hero.

What Batman was doing when he was pulled over by the police earlier this week was traveling to an event for hospitalized kids as part of a "Superhero Celebration" organized by the charity "Hope for Henry."

"Lenny is a one-man operation and he is amazing and beautiful because he's also doing this for free," says Allen Goldberg, who founded the organization with his wife after the experience with their son Henry, whose rare illness left him hospitalized for long periods of time (you can read more here about their experience).

Full size

aimg.gawkerassets.com_img_17hy9bs1hs4n4jpg_medium.jpg

"When [Henry] was alive and hospitalized — for months at a time — we had to keep him entertained, so back in 2000 I bought the first ever portable DVD player," says Goldberg. Henry watched a lot of Batman movies and cartoons so, after he passed away, they decided to give the same comfort and hope to kids whose circumstances land them in the hospital for extended stays. The program's gone from giving portable DVD players to kids to handing out iPads and throwing birthday parties for kids in the hospital on their special days. They even host those "Superhero Celebrations" at various hospitals throughout the year. Most superheroes are paid, but Lenny does it for free.

"He comes across as Batman, he has the kind of gruff voice and he's got the demeanor down and he holds himself erect like Batman," explains Goldberg, adding "And he's got the Lambo, which is pretty sweet, too."

Mike Rosenwald from The Washington Post went with Lenny to one of these events for an excellent profile on Lenny.

Here's the most touching scene:

He asked the nurses at the front desk whether there were any children who couldn't come out of their rooms to see him.

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/17hy9bs1i4gu9jpg/original.jpgFull size

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/17hy9bs1i4gu9jpg/original.jpg

aimg.gawkerassets.com_img_17hy9bs1i4gu9jpg_medium.jpg

Assured that there weren't, Batman headed back down to his Batmobile, followed by the mother of a baby girl with cancer and her healthy 4-year-old son, whose only goal in life at that moment was to see the Batmobile. When the boy saw the car, I thought his eyeballs were going to separate from his body. (Batman is actually in the process of having a just-like-the-movies Batmobile built for $250,000, but it's not ready yet.)

Batman revved the engines and blasted the audio system - the Batman theme song. Na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, Batman! He revved the engine some more. The little boy didn't want to say goodbye, but his mom told him, "Batman needs to go fight the bad guys." The little boy cried.

"I want to go help him fight the bad guys," he said.

His mom said, "You need to go help your sister fight cancer."

Batman sped away.

I spoke with Lenny earlier this week (on the Batphone, as he called it) and, while obviously amused by the attention, it didn't sound that important to him.

aimg.gawkerassets.com_img_17hy9bu0lc6a1jpg_medium.jpg"I don't do it to become famous, I do it for the kids," Lenny told me. "They mean more to me than anything."

And to prove it he had to cut his interview short. The reason? He had to take his niece to dinner.

Lenny isn't just the coolest Lamborghini owner ever. It needs no qualification. He's just cool.

The 'Lamborghini Batman' Just Got A Real Batmobile To Visit Sick Kids Across The Country

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/17tc0bpqkyy1mjpg/original.jpgoriginal.jpg The ‘Lamborghini Batman’ Just Got A Real Batmobile To Visit Sick Kids Across The Country

aimg.gawkerassets.com_img_17r84rs6bniyyjpg_avt_small.jpg Mike Spinelli

Lenny B. Robinson is the "Maryland Batman" who made headlines earlier this year when he was pulled over — while in costume — by state troopers in his Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder. Robinson, who dons the batsuit when he visits childrens' hospitals, has ditched the Lambo and picked up a custom-made, down-to-the-last-detail Batmobile.

The superhero exists because we, as a society, need to believe that whatever evil there may be in the world will be met a stronger force for good. We met evil last week, also dressed as a Batman character.

Lamborghini Batman serves as a reminder that in a world where unpredictable terror occurs, unprovoked goodness is much less anomalous.

Robinson took delivery of the car in British Columbia in late June, and is spending the summer on a cross-continent trip back to Maryland, supporting his charity, Superheroes For Kids. He spent most of July in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, appearing with the car in a parade, getting some repairs done and making appearances at local pediatric centers. On Thursday night, Robinson told us, he bat-attended the local opening of Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight Rises.

Robinson's new Batmobile had been on special order from BC firm Unique Movie Cars and Props, which built it to 1960s bat-spec. The original, based on the 1959 Lincoln Futura concept, was a George Barris-designed custom created for the ABC-TV show. It was first dubbed "Futura Show Car" before being rechristened for the show's title character when Batman debuted on January 12, 1966.

aimg.gawkerassets.com_img_17tc1b2dne3ztjpg_medium.jpgRobinson's new Batreplica — aka "Anti Crime Roadster," in copyright-free parlance — was built from the ground up, with no donor car. It has a urethane bodyshell, worked Ford V8 and a Ford C6 transmission. It's also got period-correct on-board props like a Bat-radarscope, bat-wing steering wheel and lots of other such paraphernalia, just like the original. Pro-touring hardware wizards Craig and Art Morrison created the chassis.

aimg.gawkerassets.com_img_17tc1b4clkamvjpg_medium.jpgUnique Movie Cars and Props appears to have the replica Batmobile market sewn up — the company builds the cars primarily on early-1970s Lincoln Continental, GM station wagon or Chrysler chassis. Robinson's car, he says, was fabricated from the ground up, with a tubular steel frame, polished control arms, Aldan adjustable coilovers and urethane-bushed mounts, and sculpted shock towers.

Along the way back east, Robinson plans to visit kids at the Peyton Manning Children's Hospital at St. Vincent in Indianapolis, and at similar hospitals in South Dakota, Iowa, Illinois, Ohio and West Virginia. Robinson has been visiting Maryland-area childrens' hospitals in Bat-drag since 2001 — midway between George Clooney and Christian Bale.

Robinson says of his Bat visits.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Advancedstreet

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.