Beacon Ray glass dome--salvageable?

May 21, 2010
Western Montana
I recently acquired a 175 fixer-upper with this crazed/glazed dome which I've never seen before. It's only in the interior and I thought initially that it was due to rubbing of the bulbs as maybe the base had not been properly fitted to the skirt, however, it doesn't appear that anything "etched" it. I've tried some non-invasive cleaning techniques with no success and am reluctant to take anything abrasive to it for fear of scratching the glass. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

[Broken External Image]:http://s523.photobucket.com/albums/w357/Starstreams58/DSC_0024.jpg[Broken External Image]:http://s523.photobucket.com/albums/w357/Starstreams58/DSC_0023.jpg

May 21, 2010
Wilkes-Barre, Pa
You may want to try and find a person that does glass polishing and repair. Usually antique sellers and dealers in old glassware would be able to direct you. That's my 2 cents anyway.

wfdstation42

May 23, 2010
USA/FL
They do make windshield polishing kits to polish out blemishes, such as scratches from wiper blades, in car windshields. They should be available at any auto parts store. Might be worth a try.

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
I,ve been in the window industry for 30 years, and have used 0000 steel wool, as suggested by the glass manufacturers, with great success. Try a small area. Always works for me.

Dan

fyr1075k

May 23, 2010
Hudson Valley New York
I have a Beacon Ray Clear Dome that looks exactly like yours. Not sure why or what causes this. It appears alot of polishing would be involved. Maybe a combo of the steel wool and compounds. I have seen glass polishing kits out there.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.