Beacon Ray model 175 how many amps should it pull to run?????????

Homer Reyes

Apr 10, 2013
Texas/Houston
I'm new to this and need some help with my light. Im wiring it to an inverter to run on house hold current AC from DC. I have a Beacon Ray model 175. Its in great condition and I have consulted with a man who told me how to clean it up. I have run the light and it works great using the inverter but runs slow. I was wanting to know if anyone else has done this and could tell me what amps i should run ...i do not want to blow it up.

Thanks Homer

jradue

Mar 6, 2013
Lone Rock, WI
The start up current can be quite a bit higher. I would size your power supply for 50% higher than running current.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Correct, starting amperage can be a little to a lot higher than running amperage, that really depends upon the condition of the motor and drive system. 13 amps would be the normal running amperage for a four bulb Beacon Ray with all four bulbs illuminated.

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
Homer Reyes said:
Im going to get an inverter to run it off or AC power this is so cool to have found this light thanks for your help

Do not use an inverter! An inverter takes DC as its input and creates AC as its output.

What you need is referred to as a power supply.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Shues is correct, an inverter turns DC power into AC power. You need a power supply that converts AC power to DC power.

Homer Reyes

Apr 10, 2013
Texas/Houston
shues said:
Do not use an inverter! An inverter takes DC as its input and creates AC as its output.

What you need is referred to as a power supply.

is that why my light runs slow?

also all i have is 2 wires is that right no ground

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
Homer Reyes said:
is that why my light runs slow?

also all i have is 2 wires is that right no ground

If you connect your Beacon Ray to an inverter, expect a fire.

It sounds like you are running the level bulbs and motor in series through the angled bulbs, by connecting one wire to positive and the other wire to ground. That's not how it's supposed to be connected. One wire is positive for the motor and the two level bulbs. The other wire is positive for the angled bulbs. Your Beacon Ray grounds through its mounting bolts to the roof of the vehicle.

Connect both existing wires to the positive terminal of your power supply. Connect a new wire from one of the mounting bolts to the negative terminal of your power supply.

Homer Reyes

Apr 10, 2013
Texas/Houston
shues said:
If you connect your Beacon Ray to an inverter, expect a fire.

It sounds like you are running the level bulbs and motor in series through the angled bulbs, by connecting one wire to positive and the other wire to ground. That's not how it's supposed to be connected. One wire is positive for the motor and the two level bulbs. The other wire is positive for the angled bulbs. Your Beacon Ray grounds through its mounting bolts to the roof of the vehicle.

Connect both existing wires to the positive terminal of your power supply. Connect a new wire from one of the mounting bolts to the negative terminal of your power supply.

thanks you hit it right on the money it worked great and it looks great running thanks so much!!!

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Homer Reyes said:
thanks you hit it right on the money it worked great and it looks great running thanks so much!!!

And after you watch it run for a while, you become mesmerized, then you will want a 17, then a 174, and so it begins, your path down the collector's road. Muhuwahahahaaaa! :D

Chippergee1

Mar 3, 2021
Shakopee
Can anyone suggest a compact AC/DC power supply? I’m trying to build a little decorative oak base to put a 174 that also has some complementary flashing police lamps. So basically I’m trying to hide the power source under the base.

Attachments

• FD931552-38BD-4FC8-8913-66E55B07DE45.jpeg
    FD931552-38BD-4FC8-8913-66E55B07DE45.jpeg
    149.6 KB · Views: 7

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jriccio@necommunications.

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.