Best and Brightest LED hide away?!

hitman38367

May 23, 2010
West Tennessee, USA
I will stick with my outdated, no longer made, bright as hell, better than anything else Whelen HALO system. I just don't care for any of the new stuff. The Cannon looks promising but I wouldn't personally buy a pair to replace my HALOs.

RickLBZ

Sep 9, 2010
Miami, Fl.
SnuffJ25 said:
I have done multiple installations and have found that the Whelen Universal Hideaways (not the vertexs) are hands down the brightest. Lol, that's why they are $450+ for four, versus $280 for four vertexs.

Joe

My department uses these as well as vertexes in the Chargers. They are brighter but the failure rate is ridiculous. I have had 3 replaced in my reverse lights in 7 months and have one in my headlight right now that has a row out. They don't want to replace it because of taking off the bumper. They all have early 2012 build dates. I have yet to see a vertex with a single led out.

FreshDave04

Jun 30, 2010
Elkhart, IN
The Whelen Universal LED Hide-A-Ways had a high failure rate. Higher than anybody would want. That's why they're no longer in production... that, and the fact that the Vertex sells extremely well.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
hitman38367 said:
i will stick with my outdated, no longer made, bright as hell, better than anything else whelen halo system. I just don't care for any of the new stuff. The cannon looks promising but i wouldn't personally buy a pair to replace my halos.

this. Perfect!

Jan 19, 2012
Normal, IL
I've installed 12 pairs of Feniex Cannons over the last week... very impressed... and the dual color is great!

Plus... for $66 who can argue??

Last edited by a moderator:

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
My favorites are the Whelen universal LAW (RIP), the SOS undercover, and the axixtechs TRI

I have zero experience with the new cannons, but I don't doubt them being bright, especially having 12 LEDs in them (double the vertex & SOS undercover). The vertex was great when it was released, because it was a new concept to have a compact LAW with multiple mounting options and the built in flasher, but IMO it is probably one of the weaker ones on the market right now...whelen seriously needs to come out with a new version of them, because a lot of the other companies took the basic, original LAW concept and made solid improvements (whereas, I don't know of any changes, if any, that Whelen has made to the guts of the vertex since they introduced them a few years back).

SnuffJ25

May 25, 2010
Penacook, NH
Th vertexs sell better because they are cheaper. Unfortunately, I dont think they're brighter. And now they came out with that competitor series with half the LEDs and almost the same price. ....... Ripoff!

I did know the Whelen LED HAWs had a high failure rate. As Louis said, it all depends on your housing and positioning I guess.

I have the SoundOff Universals in my truck and they do well.

Joe

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
hitman38367 said:
I will stick with my outdated, no longer made, bright as hell, better than anything else Whelen HALO system. I just don't care for any of the new stuff. The Cannon looks promising but I wouldn't personally buy a pair to replace my HALOs.

I'll 1-up you.... I'll stick with my outdated, old technology strobe HAWs. Better performance and more bang for your buck IMHO. :thumbsup:

Strobesnmore

May 23, 2010
Westerly, RI
We tested some of the other LEDs mentioned and like this post how you mount them will 100% reflect the output. Someday ill post some test video but I think you would be surprised on what LEDs tested the best.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiemartin6

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.