Best BDU-type pants for LEO's

minig0d

Mar 29, 2013
LA & TX
So... I need a new pair.... I'm in the south so it's hot and humid most of the time... read online some watched some reviews on Youtube and bit the bullet on the 5.11 Taclite Pro's... ordered them on Amazon and got them today and tried them on... REALLY not super impressed... material feels fine, they are VERY low cut in the crotch though... the pocket layout seems about useless and that strap across the back pocket probably even more useless...

I mean I'm 5'10-5'11 around 170 lbs... and I wear a 36-30... the pants length was fine, I could pinch up to my crotch at least 4"+ of material (front and back 4" so there's like a total of 8" too much fabric there)... I realize they are BDU and you want them looser fitting, but this was so low it would hinder my running and climbing abilities...

I currently wear a tru-spec 24-7 pair which I find fit well but are baggy all over... but at least it gives a uniform appearance rather than the "saggy pants" appearance like a "gangsta"... The tru-spec knife pockets are also between the front pocket and the back pockets a bit to the back but still my holster prevents easy right hand access.

So the "big 3" options are the 5.11's... (I can't get their law enforcement specific series as they don't come in khaki)... tru-specs like I have, and propper...

And then the more rare ones like Blackhawk, LA Police Gear's house brand, Galls house brand, Woolrich, etc...

The propper ones seem to be highly rated as well:

Amazon.com: Propper Men's Lightweight Tactical Pant, Black, 36 x 34: Clothing

So what is your top pick? again I'd rather the less baggy appearance and definitely lighter weight and breathable b/c of the humidity? (and no there are no worthwhile police supplies around here to go try some on)

Retired1

Jun 1, 2010
Woodward County, OK
Over the last 37 years, I have worn virtually every brand and type of trousers. I work in the same basic environment as you do. My favorite trousers are the L A Police Gear ripstop Mil-Spec operator trousers. They are available in non-elastic waist and elastic waist versions. The quality is equal or better than any other and the prices are hard to beat. I will not buy any other BDUs nowadays.

LA Police Gear RipStop MilSpec BDU Pants IN STOCK and ready to ship!

LA Police Gear Operator Tactical Pants w/ Elastic Waistband

minig0d

Mar 29, 2013
LA & TX
Retired1 said:
Over the last 37 years, I have worn virtually every brand and type of trousers. I work in the same basic environment as you do. My favorite trousers are the L A Police Gear ripstop Mil-Spec operator trousers. They are available in non-elastic waist and elastic waist versions. The quality is equal or better than any other and the prices are hard to beat. I will not buy any other BDUs nowadays.

LA Police Gear RipStop MilSpec BDU Pants IN STOCK and ready to ship!

LA Police Gear Operator Tactical Pants w/ Elastic Waistband

Do you have thoughts on their quality? Most of the negative reviews I saw tended to say something like they fell apart after 6 months, etc... I've never really had any BDU pants fall apart before, but then again I've always had name brand ones... The pictures of them also look like they have relatively LARGE side pockets that stick out, giving them a more military look than LEO... but that could be my imagination :/ The price is definitely right on them, but relatively, sub $120 or so price isn't an issue if they will last as long as the other BDU's I have... those ones I have for my other department (that I can't wear b/c of color) I've had since the start of my LE career 11 years ago... I mean I'm almost positive I have some of the first pairs still in use today...

I forgot to mention it originally but I'm also curious about any of the "uniform" makers BDUs and haven't seen much mention on forums about them (like I think Blauer makes some)

Retired1

Jun 1, 2010
Woodward County, OK
minig0d said:
Do you have thoughts on their quality? Most of the negative reviews I saw tended to say something like they fell apart after 6 months, etc... I've never really had any BDU pants fall apart before, but then again I've always had name brand ones... The pictures of them also look like they have relatively LARGE side pockets that stick out, giving them a more military look than LEO... but that could be my imagination :/ The price is definitely right on them, but relatively, sub $120 or so price isn't an issue if they will last as long as the other BDU's I have... those ones I have for my other department (that I can't wear b/c of color) I've had since the start of my LE career 11 years ago... I mean I'm almost positive I have some of the first pairs still in use today...

I forgot to mention it originally but I'm also curious about any of the "uniform" makers BDUs and haven't seen much mention on forums about them (like I think Blauer makes some)

I would not recommend the LA Police Gear pants, if they fell apart in a short time. I have at least 3 of each color and all are 4 years old and some - much longer. Probably the newest have survived 50+ washings and no sign of material / construction defects. I do not normally frequent forums topics discussing uniforms so I have not seen the negative comments you refer to. (I read forums where contributors don'yt like Whelen or Federal or Code 3, etc,all giving reasons why, so, for only $20, get a pair and make up your own mind.

In 2002, I bought Blauer BDUs for my entire staff. Within a year I recalled them and donated them to charity. We hated them. Faded fast and baggy fit were main complaints. I would have got rid of them sooner, but had to wait until the next budget year. There are several mainstream manufacturers, but I cannot recommend pants that cost an officer $80 to $100 a pair, nor do I see any increase in quality for the price.

I have some Proppers. They are decent for the $30 price, but I stopped wearing them as I prefer the ripstop fabric in the LA Police Gear pants

minig0d

Mar 29, 2013
LA & TX
Retired1 said:
I would not recommend the LA Police Gear pants, if they fell apart in a short time. I have at least 3 of each color and all are 4 years old and some - much longer. Probably the newest have survived 50+ washings and no sign of material / construction defects.

In 2002, I bought Blauer BDUs for my entire staff. Within a year I recalled them and donated them to charity. We hated them. Faded fast and baggy fit were main complaints. I would have got rid of them sooner, but had to wait until the next budget year. There are several mainstream manufacturers, but I cannot recommend pants that cost an officer $80 to $100 a pair, nor do I see any increase in quality for the price.

I have some Proppers. They are decent for the $30 price, but I stopped wearing them as I prefer the ripstop fabric in the LA Police Gear pants

Thanks!!!

Retired1

Jun 1, 2010
Woodward County, OK
minig0d said:
Thanks!!!

I added this to my last post after you quoted it

"I do not normally frequent forums topics discussing uniforms so I have not seen the negative comments you refer to. (I read forums where contributors don'yt like Whelen or Federal or Code 3, etc,all giving reasons why, so, for only $20, get a pair and make up your own mind. "

minig0d

Mar 29, 2013
LA & TX
Retired1 said:
I added this to my last post after you quoted it

"I do not normally frequent forums topics discussing uniforms so I have not seen the negative comments you refer to. (I read forums where contributors don'yt like Whelen or Federal or Code 3, etc,all giving reasons why, so, for only $20, get a pair and make up your own mind. "

not a forum... just the reviews on that same product page you sent me :) I will admit they are predominantly good ones, but if you scroll through them there are a number about buttons falling off and them tearing and such... of course no product is perfect...

And they'd be 28.50 shipped... unless they have some free shipping over $50 or something deal (but then I'd have to find enough stuff to make it over the $50)... I have an amazon prime subscription so free second day shipping on their stuff so I tend to stick with their items as you don't waste money on shipping... but if they are better than some of the name brand stuff I'll give it a shot!

Lseg810

Sep 21, 2012
CT
I use to wear 5.11 TacLite Ripstop pants. Overall they were very comfortable however they did rip but it was where there was a seam and they had years of use on them. I have recently switched over to Blauer 8980's 8980 SIDE-PKT RAYON BLEND TROUSERS | LAW | FIRE & EMS | Pants | StreetGear Pants. They are a little more professional looking and more dressy while still having the pocket space of BDU's. If you are looking for something less professional looking and on a lower budget I would suggest the 5.11 pants. I still wear 5.11 TDU shorts but I like the professional look with the Blauer pants. Both pants are good for the money but the Blauer ones are more expensive.

tvsjr

Oct 7, 2012
TX
I wear the LA Police Gear pants exclusively. They're cheap enough that you can replace them twice as often if you need to. The cargo pockets are also larger, without having the baggy "military" look.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
I'm looking for some colored (khaki, tundra, od.... not black or navy) cargo pants for training days, SWAT callouts, and other various non-patrol shifts. I will certainly have to give these a try. Thanks for the tip Terry, I'd never even heard of this company.

Last edited by a moderator:

minig0d

Mar 29, 2013
LA & TX
FWIW I have a LOT of navy blue ones in various stages of wear (NONE have holes or tears some are just more faded than others) that I'm going to put up for sale on here (cheap) eventually when I get unlazy... I don't work much for the department anymore and I haven't seen many around here that do wear navy so i'm thinning my collection out to just keep a couple pairs for when I do work)

PJD642

May 20, 2010
east of Cleveland
TACKLEBERRY said:
5.11 Stryke Pants, they're by far the best pants I've worn to date for a uniform pant. They're expensive but worth it. Call 5.11 directly and ask for LE pricing for uniform pants.

Here's a review I did of them with some other cargo style pants I did.

Member Forums » Member Forums » General Discussion » Alternative Uniforms | United States Park Ranger Lodge

I've got to agree with this...I used to advocate for the Blauer Street Gear pants (and still wear 'em in the winter...). I seriously dislike the 5.11 TDU pants, because they seem to be cut all wrong for me - cheap hotel issues, the waistband is THICK where it expands, etc. But the Stryke pants fit like they were made to my specs. Completely different feel than the TDUs, and they come in Khaki.

LINK

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
I recommend the 5.11 taclite BDUs...they are extremely comfortable, durable, & well-built. I have had some for 6 years without having to replace them. Their BDUs have an elastic bam that has yet to lose its elasticity on me & the class B 5.11 pants I have with their "action waist" are some of the most comfy pants I have. I have some original 5.11 pants, but they were the cotton ones that were heavier, so I love the taclite.

2 features that I like on the 5.11 pants are their "slash" back pockets & the front Velcro pocket (fits small flashlight, small flip phones, IDs, etc. A lot of the guys in my fire dept use the Tru-Spec BDU pants & almost all of them have have Velcro cargo pockets that no longer close (the Velcro doesn't catch on any of the pockets). I order my 5.11 through LAPG and I love them and the frequent sales they have. I have an LAPG operator polo and it's just as comfortable as my 5.11 polos. I only use the LAPG polo a small fraction of te 5.11 shirts, so I can't personally comment on longevity of the LAPG brand products, but they are comfortable & think their price makes them def worth trying.

minig0d

Mar 29, 2013
LA & TX
pdk9 said:
I recommend the 5.11 taclite BDUs...they are extremely comfortable, durable, & well-built. I have had some for 6 years without having to replace them. Their BDUs have an elastic bam that has yet to lose its elasticity on me & the class B 5.11 pants I have with their "action waist" are some of the most comfy pants I have. I have some original 5.11 pants, but they were the cotton ones that were heavier, so I love the taclite.

2 features that I like on the 5.11 pants are their "slash" back pockets & the front Velcro pocket (fits small flashlight, small flip phones, IDs, etc. A lot of the guys in my fire dept use the Tru-Spec BDU pants & almost all of them have have Velcro cargo pockets that no longer close (the Velcro doesn't catch on any of the pockets). I order my 5.11 through LAPG and I love them and the frequent sales they have. I have an LAPG operator polo and it's just as comfortable as my 5.11 polos. I only use the LAPG polo a small fraction of te 5.11 shirts, so I can't personally comment on longevity of the LAPG brand products, but they are comfortable & think their price makes them def worth trying.

lol I think you missed the part of my initial post where that's the pants I bought and returned (assuming the taclite pro is what you meant)... seemed decent but the slash pockets didn't really do anything for me and the pocket was so side the wallet would rotate around in it anyway... small velcro and the other one actually fit my iPhone but it didn't seem like the best place to put it... and the back strap I wondered if it wasn't an almost bad thing to have (a bad guy being able to grab a solid hold on it or something (idk just didn't seem useful)... my truspecs haven't had any velcro go out yet *shrug*...

I ordered a pair of those LAPG whenever they decide to show up and a pair of Propper's to try out since they are cheap and got good reviews and I can return em for free if I dont like em... the LAPG if they suck its just a few bucks I guess and can be used for painting the house in or something :)

MEVS06

May 23, 2010
San Antonio, TX
I have had four sets of LA Police Gear kakis for 4 years and im not a little person at all 6'3" 300lbs and they are very comfortable still to this day. I also have 9 pairs of Propers and like them just ad well. I have 4 or 5 5.11s and stopped wearing them for work over a year ago and only use them when working on my vehicles etc. I have read great reviews on the Vertex pants (I may have misspelled the name). You might want to look at them also.

tvsjr

Oct 7, 2012
TX
Another thing that sets the LAPG pants apart is that the pockets are sufficient large to carry most small- and mid-frame handguns in a pocket holster, without having the baggy military look. A G27 in a pocket holster is a great fit (with a custom leather "foot" to keep the holster centered and vertical).

minig0d

Mar 29, 2013
LA & TX
I'm wearing it for a uniform. I don't usually stow much in the pockets besides a notepad or search gloves or mags or a trauma kit. Depending. No need to conceal a pistol in it ;)

May 10, 2012
New England
A bit late to the party as I haven't been online for over a week, but this subject is near and dear to my heart, as I generally wear a tactical trouser every day in my office.

We are issued 5.11 products, I have tried the classic cotton pants, Tac Lite, and Stryke, and the only one worth buying is the Stryke, if it was my money. Someone above mentioned the Stryke, and I concur, it's a damn fine pant with a great mix of durability, freedom of movement, features, and best of all stain resistance!!

I tried to love the L.A. Police Gear pants, but the only one that ever impressed me is the discontinued "A.C.U. Tactical" pants. The "Operator" series had poor stitching that just didn't hold up for long. Nice fit and features, but not for serious training or work performance.

I have a couple pairs of Woolrichs somewhere, I prefer their discreet-style pants over 5.11's old "Covert Khaki", however the hidden thigh pocket is still pretty much a joke. Snap off the zipper pull with a pair of pliers and wear them as regular pants, and they hold a crease quite well. Not much for a field pant, but fine for the office and comfortable for a long car ride.

I wore almost strictly Blauer products at a previous job, and they seemed to hold up very well, however the agency was in MA and Blauer was right down the road, so I wouldn't be surprised if some of the brass had an "in" at the company and were ordering us the best products they made. I encountered some Blauer trousers once since then, and the fit and finish just did not seem nearly as nice as what I was issued in MA.

minig0d

Mar 29, 2013
LA & TX
Just a small update. I got the propers from Amazon a few minutes ago. I tried them on but then had to run out the door. My initial impression is that they are everything that the 5.11 was not. The material is very similar But the cut of the pants fit me much much better. They were $40 on Amazon prime So of course free second day shipping. And they came with a free belt. Unfortunately for testing purposes, the weather has cooled down. So I won't be able to test the hot weather performance. But I will report back in a few days after giving them a couple tries and seeing how the pockets are with a duty belt on.

tnems7

May 21, 2010
USA Nashville Tennessee
Good luck with the Propper pants. I have two pairs of navy blue bdu pants for my rescue squad uniform.

I purchased the summer weight law enforcement style and I love them.

The uniform shop had to special order the EMT pants. The "medic' style is heavier and so baggy I feel like I may need suspenders. Too many pockets! Concealed pockets behind the cargo pockets, then small slash pockets and multi pockets at the knees with more hidden pockets at the ankles.

The lighter pants have a small pocket on the left that can hold a Leatherman or Gerber tool or a folding knife. A small cellphone will also fit. The deep back pockets have a small raised pocket for a billfold or ID and small note pad with Velcro tab closers. While I like the elastic waistband, model 2060999, others are available. A small D-ring holds a small clip with my car key, the knees are double layered and have pockets for kneepads. I like these pants so much I'll wear long underwear so I can wear them in colder weather.

If that's the style, I hope you will like them.

minig0d

Mar 29, 2013
LA & TX
tnems7 said:
Good luck with the Propper pants. I have two pairs of navy blue bdu pants for my rescue squad uniform.

I purchased the summer weight law enforcement style and I love them.

The uniform shop had to special order the EMT pants. The "medic' style is heavier and so baggy I feel like I may need suspenders. Too many pockets! Concealed pockets behind the cargo pockets, then small slash pockets and multi pockets at the knees with more hidden pockets at the ankles.

The lighter pants have a small pocket on the left that can hold a Leatherman or Gerber tool or a folding knife. A small cellphone will also fit. The deep back pockets have a small raised pocket for a billfold or ID and small note pad with Velcro tab closers. While I like the elastic waistband, model 2060999, others are available. A small D-ring holds a small clip with my car key, the knees are double layered and have pockets for kneepads. I like these pants so much I'll wear long underwear so I can wear them in colder weather.

If that's the style, I hope you will like them.

I didn't verify model number against yours but it sounds right. I wore them that shift while they were brand new without even washing them and found them very comfortable and the pockets worked out pretty well. I would have liked to see some knife pockets like my tru specs have (between the front and rear pockets) but its not an end all. Personally I'm not a huge fan of that little d ring but its so small it's not like its hurting anything. So anyway I washed them once like with the rest of my laundry, not by any special instructions. No signs of shrinkage or fading. The pants material feels even more comfortable too. So far they get an A in my book.

I actually just moved to Houston and we have a chain called the Command Post (an army surplus store) and they keep the 5.11 and a couple different propers and tru specs and a couple other brand bdu in stock so I may go try on some of the heavier weight propers for winter. But like you suggested, may just stick with some thermals under the summer ones as it doesn't get very cold very often here.

ryanm

May 20, 2010
Arkansas
My 5.11 Stryke pants are super comfortable and a worthy upgrade from the TacLite (previous favorite).

I also have a pair of the Propper LS1 tac pants which feel thinner but also are very comfortable.

Ben E.

May 21, 2010
Iowa, USA
I wear the 5.11 TacLites because they're the only pants light enough to handle the heat during the summer, at least for me. The earlier versions of the tac pants, the crotch was, um, too small. I kinda like how they made that area larger.

Anyway, Propper is good stuff like others have recommended. When I ordered my last pair of TacLite's, I also ordered a pair of Vertx pants. They are probably the best fitting pants I've ever owned. Not too baggy, not too tight, stretchy in all the right places, great material, high quality. They are just a little thicker than the TacLite's though so I skipped them on REALLY hot days. But overall I think they are my favorite pants.

MEVS06

May 23, 2010
San Antonio, TX
Thanks Ben, I have been waiting on ordering a few pairs of Vertx in OD Green until I heard from a reputable person on their fit and quality. I have seen them on GovX.com going for $37ish plus $7.95 flat rate shipping IIRC. Which IMHO is not bad at all

minig0d

Mar 29, 2013
LA & TX
Ben E. said:
I wear the 5.11 TacLites because they're the only pants light enough to handle the heat during the summer, at least for me. The earlier versions of the tac pants, the crotch was, um, too small. I kinda like how they made that area larger.

Anyway, Propper is good stuff like others have recommended. When I ordered my last pair of TacLite's, I also ordered a pair of Vertx pants. They are probably the best fitting pants I've ever owned. Not too baggy, not too tight, stretchy in all the right places, great material, high quality. They are just a little thicker than the TacLite's though so I skipped them on REALLY hot days. But overall I think they are my favorite pants.

I haven't worn them both but these lighter weight proppers felt equal in lightweight-ness to the 5.11 taclites. I've heard some good stuff about the vertx also and am curious about those. The strike pants pockets just don't look like they are in a useful layout for LE use with a duty belt and standard holster. Maybe with a drop leg.

Hoff

Aug 2, 2011
SW Ohio/US
I have worn LA Police Gear pants, 5.11 Taclite Pros, and Vertx. Of the three Vertx is my favorite. They fit great and if you need a semi professional appearance they are it. The rip stop ones are doing fine "over here". I wore them this past summer at work and they did pretty good with the humidity and the 100 to 110+ degree weather. GovX has the best pricing, sales excluded.

609PFD812

Aug 30, 2013
New Jersey
I've had 3 pairs of 5.11 Ripstop TDU in the past 4 years, and they old up pretty well. That being said, they appear to cut every pair differently, and it was nearly impossible to find 3 pairs that all fit the same. Additionally, the color fades on the blue/black models after a few washes.

When I needed khakis pants I tried 5.11 but they to no surprise fit terribly. I ended up going with 1 pair of the Tru-Spec and 1 pair of the Proppers. I have been extremely pleased with both and highly recommend them. That being said, I've also heard good things about the 5.11 Stryker Pant, but personally that too much to pay for pants.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ragnarok

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.