Best Fire/EMS Vehicles

irsa76

May 24, 2010
Australia, NSW
lafd55 said:
ai619.photobucket.com_albums_tt272_lafd55_IMG_20130727_131030_zps3d69f5e7.jpg
Knolls Atomic Power Lab, Milton/Niskayuna, NY. I think it's good because it is simple and lighting isn't over done. I don't know the flash patterns and don't mind the out of service sign, lol.

Just looking at the setup I'm guessing strict KKK standard flash patterns.

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
It's a Federal Ambulance, so it's hard to find one that isn't KKK. For the most part Federal Buses have orange stripping, but that's kinda going by the wayside as I have seen some departments with different graphics.

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
fireman29b said:
Guthrie Fire-EMS
2013 Ram 4500 4x4

Osage Industries

That looks liker a mechanical siren in the middle of the bumper. B&M, maybe?

fireman29b

May 23, 2010
Guthrie, OK
Wailer said:
That looks liker a mechanical siren in the middle of the bumper. B&M, maybe?

It is! We love it and are officially done with Q2B's from now on. They're kind of tucked in but it's also got twin 18" Hadley E-Tone emergency air horns and a Whelen 295HFSC9.

The lighting is all hooked to a central KKK style flasher. All reds flash together alternating with the blues and clears.

You can definitely see and hear this girl coming.

Last edited by a moderator:

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
fireman29b said:
It is! We love it and are officially down with Q2B's from now on. They're kind of tucked in but it's also got twin 18" Hadley E-Tone emergency air horns and a Whelen 295HFSC9.
The lighting is all hooked to a central KKK style flasher. All reds flash together alternating with the blues and clears.

You can definitely see and hear this girl coming.

There are a lot of departments that have switched, or are switching, to the Super Chiefs in place of their Qs. B&M's owner, Kevin O'Connell has done a good job in his demos of how the Super Chief beats the Q at long range. The Super Chief is the only siren I've ever used that hurt my ears!

fireman29b

May 23, 2010
Guthrie, OK
Skip Goulet said:
There are a lot of departments that have switched, or are switching, to the Super Chiefs in place of their Qs. B&M's owner, Kevin O'Connell has done a good job in his demos of how the Super Chief beats the Q at long range. The Super Chief is the only siren I've ever used that hurt my ears!

Yep, I consulted with Kevin before we spec'd this one out. It's amazing how the sound bounces at distances, especially downtown between the buildings.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Skip Goulet said:
I like the black Ward-LaFrance with the twin 175s and twin SolaRays...but it still needs a big sirens: Q or Super Chief.

I have always loved the look of scanias!

As for the airport SUV, I have never seen speakers roof mounted that far back. However, I don't think there are enough speakers or front flood/scene lighting! (JK)

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
fireman29b said:
It is! We love it and are officially done with Q2B's from now on.

The B&M is a lower-pitched siren than the Q2B, and at full speed it should be heard better from a distance. Lower frequency sounds travel further than high frequency sounds.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
fireman29b said:
Yep, I consulted with Kevin before we spec'd this one out. It's amazing how the sound bounces at distances, especially downtown between the buildings.

Have you ever seen the demo that Kevin does that puts one of his Super Chiefs up against a Q? He takes a truck that already has a Q on it, and gets in the cab with a db meter. He runs the Q to show the db reading. And then does the same with the demo Super Chief sitting in the same place or area as the Q. The inside dbs are much lower with the Super Chief. Then he takes the db meter in hand and walks out 100'. First someone runs the Q and then the Super Chief. At 100' the Super Chief outdoes the Q. It's that deep-throated roar that gets the carrying range. Up close a Q will drown out the Super Chief because a Q is a 10" siren compared to the 8" of the three B&M models.

I'm glad you like your Super Chief, and I know Kevin appreciates it! :p

BTW, I sent Steve Loftin a link to this thread. Was he involved in specing out the truck? I know he sells firetrucks, but I don't know for whom.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Travelin Man said:
Nah, I just know him from being involved in the industry.

Yeah...he has made his rounds. When I first met him he was still with Boardman. I bought his '74 Olds ambulance that he had bought from Boardman when they took it in trade several years ago. It's now up in MI and is shown on the Fire/EMS Media forum too.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KeystoneDiesel

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.