Best Fire/EMS Vehicles

mdlighting

Jul 20, 2011
PG county,MD
Man that tanker is sweet. I have never liked the quantum chassis it's to big and those stairs would worry me if there was a issue how would you get in. As for the argument about red vs white vs yellow. Here in PG county we have all kinds of colors it's kind of how we stand out from one another some are red, red with black roof, red with white roof even a maroon with white roof company 10 in laurel, there are white with neon green stripe, white with orange stripe, white with blue stripe, there are slimmer green trucks hell 18 is black and yellow my point is that no matter what color they are as long as they get the job done its a good truck me personally mine are red with a white scallop

image-353891662.jpg

jprleedy4680

Jan 27, 2011
N. Michigan
mdlighting said:
...As for the argument about red vs white vs yellow. Here in PG county we have all kinds of colors it's kind of how we stand out from one another some are red, red with black roof, red with white roof even a maroon with white roof company 10 in laurel, there are white with neon green stripe, white with orange stripe, white with blue stripe, there are slimmer green trucks hell 18 is black and yellow...

That's interesting; are all of these companies under one agency or are they independent bodies?

It would make me a little crazy if there wasn't a uniform look to one fleet. :rolleyes:

Apr 28, 2012
Knox County, ME
GPC said:

Someone got a little excited about adding vectors on this beast.

lafd55 said:
Man I love Quantums!!!!!

Me too.

The center one in the last picture was going to be Quantum #1 off the line in 1996. It ended up being number 4 or 5 due to change orders. We actually chose to purchase the cab without ever seeing it initially, and the first pictures we saw of a Quantum cab were sent to us on an undeveloped film roll from the president of Pierce at the time. We had to develop the film to finally see what the cab would look like. The pictures were of a prototype cab as well and a few things actually looked different from the final production.

The Rescue on the right in the last picture is the first bumper Pierce ever made that looked like that with the full lid, that height and full length because they thought it would block too much air to the grille. They had to do some engineering testing before they would approve it. When we went out for final inspection it was the old style of 2 separate lids, and it looked horrible.

The New engine on the left is the first Pierce to ever use the Quantum fold down steps on the pump panel. Its also the first cab they ever did that has the 18" extended roof on the outside but it is actually only 12" inches raised inside, because it conceals the light tower. Another first is the extended bumper has 2 reels of flat lay 2" hose with 200' each. (not the bumper, but the reels due to size) They had never done any of those before. The reels they actually wouldn't guarantee 200', they would only guarantee 150' but it fits 200'. All of this was weeks spent back and forth with engineering to get it all approved. I got plenty of other pics of them if you want to see, let me know.

Bullets

Mar 14, 2012
New Jersey
foxtrot5 said:
As god intended? Please quote for me in the Bible, Torah, Quran, or any other holy book where God says "And there shall be rescue services provided forth by EMS."

I think whoever can get the job done should provide the service regardless of who they're affiliated with. Your location says NJ. I can think of one EMS based rescue organization up there that thinks it's all high and mighty because they drive around in a neighboring town's old ALF and call it an EMS based Rescue unit. You wouldn't happen to be from Bergen county, would you?

Nope, about an hour south of Bergen County.

I say as God intended EMS to provide rescue because Rescue is a patient care activity, and EMS does patient care

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
Bullets said:
Nope, about an hour south of Bergen County.

I say as God intended EMS to provide rescue because Rescue is a patient care activity, and EMS does patient care

So let Ems do pt care, and let the fire department do the rescue.

Firefly Berlin

Apr 25, 2012
Germany / Berlin
That is a easy to fix problem. ;)

Just have cross trained personnel. :D

Every gal and guy on our ambulances are firefighters and everybody on the big rigs is at least EMT, the majority paramedics.

And we only staff some 150+ rigs. ;)

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
I like the marshal creek tanker 4 international, but I am in LOVEEE with the winter park tractor drawn aerial (I literally had to change my pants at the 2 min mark of the video when I saw it all lit up)

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
RossBlitz said:
Check out Winter Park, FL's new tiller. It features a FedSig Vision SLR on the front. :D

What I would like to see is tractor drawn aerial ladder truck with a siren speaker mounted under the tiller cab. The siren would still be controlled from the tractor cab, but the sound would be spread out across the truck. I wonder if anyone has ever thought of that?

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Ooo, it looks like they copied the feniex promo music.

Wailer said:
What I would like to see is tractor drawn aerial ladder truck with a siren speaker mounted under the tiller cab. The siren would still be controlled from the tractor cab, but the sound would be spread out across the truck. I wonder if anyone has ever thought of that?

Not sure I see the point of having a Siren back there unless they plan on responding backwards (in which case I'd drive there just to see a tiller responding code 3 in reverse. Audible warning devices are intended to get the attention of the ppl ahead of the unit, and when the unit approaches a red light, the D/O is supposed to account for all lanes before moving any piece of the apparatus through the intersection, so if the D/O isn't sure that everyone has come to a stop and provided enough time/space for him to proceed through the intersection, he shouldn't be there in the 1st place (and a rear siren wouldn't do much at that point). The only time The only time I can think of having a noise machine to the rear is for when I have dumb douchebags tailgating us while responding to highway MVAs (in which case I'd have train horns, no a siren, mounted under my tailboard because the blinkies, the rear graphics, and the overall size of the truck aren't enough of a reason for them to stay back.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
I love the CVFC Peterbilt and the use of mini vectors on the perimeter of the tank! Does anybody know of any manufacturers that build brand new semis specifically for use as a FD tanker? I've only seen old tanker trucks (ie former/old gasoline trucks) converted by fire depts to be used for tanker/tender purposes, but that is a solid looking Peterbilt that doesn't look too aged

California Red said:
What are those "strobe-vector" lights on WPFD's vehicle called. I love those.
RossBlitz said:
Check out Winter Park, FL's new tiller. It features a FedSig Vision SLR on the front.

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
ai619.photobucket.com_albums_tt272_lafd55_IMG_20130727_131030_zps3d69f5e7.jpg

Knolls Atomic Power Lab, Milton/Niskayuna, NY. I think it's good because it is simple and lighting isn't over done. I don't know the flash patterns and don't mind the out of service sign, lol.

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
It's so they can yell at the pilots over the jet engines.

I really need that first rig. :drooling:

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
pdk9 said:
Ooo, it looks like they copied the feniex promo music.

Not sure I see the point of having a Siren back there unless they plan on responding backwards (in which case I'd drive there just to see a tiller responding code 3 in reverse. Audible warning devices are intended to get the attention of the ppl ahead of the unit, and when the unit approaches a red light, the D/O is supposed to account for all lanes before moving any piece of the apparatus through the intersection, so if the D/O isn't sure that everyone has come to a stop and provided enough time/space for him to proceed through the intersection, he shouldn't be there in the 1st place (and a rear siren wouldn't do much at that point). The only time The only time I can think of having a noise machine to the rear is for when I have dumb douchebags tailgating us while responding to highway MVAs (in which case I'd have train horns, no a siren, mounted under my tailboard because the blinkies, the rear graphics, and the overall size of the truck aren't enough of a reason for them to stay back.

I had a friend who operated a small private ambulance service in Lubbock for a short time in the '70s. He jokingly commented that he'd like to put a siren on the back of his ambulance (which already had 3 sirens). He said, "Not only would they know where I was coming from...they'd know where I'd been". Argggh! :p

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
Skip Goulet said:
I like the black Ward-LaFrance with the twin 175s and twin SolaRays...but it still needs a big sirens: Q or Super Chief.

If it has a 1960s era Federal electronic siren with the low-pitched tones, then I like it just the way it is.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ragnarok

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.