Best LED HAW for wig-wags? (Feniex Experience)

JohnFireFan

Jan 29, 2012
Louisiana
What's the best LED hide-a-ways used for wig-wags? 

As of right now I have Feniex Cannons (2-mode) in solid white acting as a "wig-wag". Over a few months the lights have seemed to have dimmed down and the lens have both faded dramatically reducing the output. IMG_0482.JPGIMG_0483.JPGIMG_0488.JPGIMG_0490.JPGPassenger Cannona.jpg

I contacted Feniex and they sent out some "New" refurbished Feniex Cannons (2-mode) in solid white. They were not in the factory bag and did not come with the screws, gaskets or instructions just a sealed bag with just the lights. It wasn't appealing when I opened the package but that wasn't really a big issue. I luckily had spare gaskets around and used them for the newer Cannons that were sent.

I took off my bumper and installed the lights using the 1inch hole, set screws, gasket and sealed up the second wall of the headlight preventing any moisture from getting inside the light. The double walled headlight has a large gap between the layers so heat should not be a issue when it comes to the Cannons being on. I didn't bother testing the Cannons since they looked new but that's were I messed up. Put back on the bumper, wired it accordingly, and ta-da one Cannon has 2-3 LEDs that are out and the other Cannon is bright, but not as bright as it should be. I checked the voltage and it's good at 12.4VDC nothing seems to be wrong on my end. IMG_0493.JPG

Contacted Feniex today and they want to repair the lights I have which means I have to un-install the lights that are in there now and send them back in for repair. This leaves my headlights with a 1inch hole in them until I get another set of replacements that hopefully works. Instead I asked for a refund and I am awaiting a response...

I chose the Cannons because they are bright with 12-LEDs and my entire vehicle is covered in Feniex products. Unfortunately, getting brand new Cannons is not an option since that would be an upgrade from the 2 mode to the 3 mode. It's not my fault they quit making the 2-mode and make the 3-mode now. I'd rather explore other options for LED HAWs since I am having a difficult time from Feniex, as much as I hate to say that. I've purchased plenty of items from Feniex and love them but this is truly disappointing.

Should I contact someone else from Feniex about this issue other than the technical department?

*Edited on 4/14/15 at 03:02hrs CST - changed title

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Station 3

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Should I contact someone else from Feniex about this issue other than the technical department?
Who'd you buy them from? If it's a Feniex dealer, I'd see if they could help you out.

Otherwise, I'd order some new LAWs from STL, since they're know for their immaculate customer service and reliable products with their 7-day warranty ;-)

JohnFireFan

Jan 29, 2012
Louisiana
Who'd you buy them from? If it's a Feniex dealer, I'd see if they could help you out.

Otherwise, I'd order some new LAWs from STL, since they're know for their immaculate customer service and reliable products with their 7-day warranty ;-)
I bought them (x2 Feniex Cannons 2-mode, solid white) from a someone off eBay. They were new in the bag whenever I received them and didn't look to be tampered with, still sealed. As far as STL is concerned, YEAH RIGHT!

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
So, you bought product from eBay, had an issue over time, contracted the manufacture, they STILL sent you different lights even though you didn't buy from them (alot of places would tell you to suck it) and after an issue with those they want to repair them for you, and you had 'bad customer service'? You sure see things differently than I do.

Anyways, The Vertex are junk, the SOS seem OK but nothing amazing, the FS laws have never been anything special... It pretty much all goes to the Cannon. For a HAW I would put strobes in.

JohnFireFan

Jan 29, 2012
Louisiana
So, you bought product from eBay, had an issue over time, contracted the manufacture, they STILL sent you different lights even though you didn't buy from them (alot of places would tell you to suck it) and after an issue with those they want to repair them for you, and you had 'bad customer service'? You sure see things differently than I do.

Anyways, The Vertex are junk, the SOS seem OK but nothing amazing, the FS laws have never been anything special... It pretty much all goes to the Cannon. For a HAW I would put strobes in.
I do see things differently because I have worked closely with customers before in retail and understand their frustration most of the time. Feniex doesn't sell directly so yeah, I bought from another source, an had an issue over time, contacted the manufacturer because that's what a 5 year warranty is for, and yes the customer service was not pleasant. I see it as clearly as this, treat your customers how you want to be treated, period. If you have to go out of your way to satisfy a customer and save the sale then yeah by all means do it. I've done lots of business with Feniex and praise them for their products, customer service and growth over the years. If your company is that important to not service a $60 light that is within it's warranty then you automatically lose my business during that transaction and from that point on. $60 isn't worth losing a lifetime customer, really is it?

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
I do see things differently because I have worked closely with customers before in retail and understand their frustration most of the time. Feniex doesn't sell directly so yeah, I bought from another source, an had an issue over time, contacted the manufacturer because that's what a 5 year warranty is for, and yes the customer service was not pleasant. I see it as clearly as this, treat your customers how you want to be treated, period. If you have to go out of your way to satisfy a customer and save the sale then yeah by all means do it. I've done lots of business with Feniex and praise them for their products, customer service and growth over the years. If your company is that important to not service a $60 light that is within it's warranty then you automatically lose my business during that transaction and from that point on. $60 isn't worth losing a lifetime customer, really is it?
Wait, so after all these 'years of great service' one bad experience and you are done?

Carry on. I still say strobes FTW.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Absolutely, this has been an on going issue and many emails back and forth.... Life moves on...
Maybe, for your sanity, just go with AWL burst or SNM LAWs since this has probably put a bad taste in your mouth if they don't replace them (although, if they do, I doubt you'd have faulty cannons again if they gave u brand new units)

PJD642

May 20, 2010
east of Cleveland
No, its certainly "not your fault" they improved the Cannons and made them 3-mode now.  Regardless of that, what in the name of god happened to the original ones that they are lopsided like that?

Reactions: unlisted

paff2

Nov 30, 2010
Lancaster, PA
Absolutely, this has been an on going issue and many emails back and forth.... Life moves on...
When I had an issue with my Feniex lights a year or so ago I talked to Tom and he was very willing to help me out. Sent me new ones after I sent the old ones back. These were lights that i bought used so that was not an issue.

Curious to know who you were dealing with?

Reactions: Mrlunchbox

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
I bought them...from a someone off eBay. They were new in the bag whenever I received them and didn't look to be tampered with, still sealed. 
^^There's your first problem...and you can buy the bag re-sealers online for like 10 bucks. Did you shop around here on ELB? 

I would also have to agree with 7d9_z28.  Most companies only honor their warranty for the original purchase of the lights.  IMO Feniex tired to do right and send you refurbed lights if you send them the old ones.  I'd just chalk it up to a bad ebay experience and move on.

My 2 cents here....From what I see online the Feniex stuff new is usually 10-20 dollars more vs. used.  I'd pay that knowing I get a 5yr warranty and that they are new from MFR. not "new" from some MF'R.

Reactions: Storm82

Storm82

Dec 16, 2014
Ludlow Falls, Ohio
^^There's your first problem...and you can buy the bag re-sealers online for like 10 bucks. Did you shop around here on ELB?

I would also have to agree with 7d9_z28. Most companies only honor their warranty for the original purchase of the lights. IMO Feniex tired to do right and send you refurbed lights if you send them the old ones. I'd just chalk it up to a bad ebay experience and move on.

My 2 cents here....From what I see online the Feniex stuff new is usually 10-20 dollars more vs. used. I'd pay that knowing I get a 5yr warranty and that they are new from MFR. not "new" from some MF'R.
I like that last statement, lol.

Looks to me that they were too close to the factory blubs, and melted the dome on the Cannons.

Either that or they had a defect to begin the with, that caused by them to over heat on their own.

Either way, it sounds to me that Feniex went out of their way to make it right, which to me spells grade A customer service.

Reactions: Adam 12

JohnFireFan

Jan 29, 2012
Louisiana
I appreciate everyones comments about the topic. 

This issue has now been resolved by Feniex . The outcome = they went out of their way to send me two new replacement Cannons. I'm happy and I hope they are too after having to put up with me. My business with Feniex will not stop because of a small bump in the road. They fixed the issue better than expected and I couldn't be more thankful.

Reactions: Sparky_911

cbpdogboy

May 23, 2010
Detroit, MI
I appreciate everyones comments about the topic. 

This issue has now been resolved by Feniex . The outcome = they went out of their way to send me two new replacement Cannons. I'm happy and I hope they are too after having to put up with me. My business with Feniex will not stop because of a small bump in the road. They fixed the issue better than expected and I couldn't be more thankful.
Just a suggestion..maybe you should update the topic to " Feniex Has Great Customer Service". It just look like you had a bad outcome by the title..glad everything worked out for you.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
A question I haven't seen here.... why do the heads look like that if it's used as intended?

These are advertised as a replacement on steady burn for driving lights, takedowns, parking/brake/reverse lights.... etc. But, you use them too long and they start to melt and look like this?

This, here, is the bigger issue. How many people are using them in this fashion and possibly have this to look forward to after X amount of time.

JohnFireFan

Jan 29, 2012
Louisiana
A question I haven't seen here.... why do the heads look like that if it's used as intended?

These are advertised as a replacement on steady burn for driving lights, takedowns, parking/brake/reverse lights.... etc. But, you use them too long and they start to melt and look like this?

This, here, is the bigger issue. How many people are using them in this fashion and possibly have this to look forward to after X amount of time.
I'm glad you brought that to the table RWO978.

The housing these lights are in provides far more than enough air flow for the heat sync to work properly. The voltage was correct and the lights were both grounded properly so nothing should arise from that. These have only been in my POV for a 6months -  1 year so hopefully it's just my bad luck and not anyone elses.

My only problem I had with Feniex is instead of replacing the light with new ones they sent repaired lights that were defective. I'm not about cheating a company out of money or haggling to get new lights but sending repaired used lights out does not make you or the company look good. After all this the guys at Feniex came to a resolution and the new replacement lights will be here this coming week. If the lights fail then they are my issue and if they work that just makes it all better.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GSPS629

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.