Best Rotator Bar.

Best Rotator Lightbar

• Total voters

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
The one lightbar I wish I still has is the whelen val-u-bar. 4 rotators, and hella effective.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
HILO said:
The one lightbar I wish I still has is the whelen val-u-bar. 4 rotators, and hella effective.

They should have given it a better name, they might as well call the Justice their "Val-U-Bar II" or something.

DLuccia

May 21, 2010
Greater Waterbury CT
I voted other because ive always been a fan of the Whelen 8000,Whelen Advantage or Federal Signal JetStream for Full size Rotator bars and Federal Signal Mini Jet for a mini bar

John Smith

Oct 19, 2010
CO, US
CenTexPSE said:
Also, the Xcal intersection sweeps suck! You never know if they are going to work. But i would still take Xcal over an ugly Streethawk anyday!
Matt, I have a Code 3 Excalibur bar on my CVPI, it is an LED bar with incandescent alley lights/takedowns/and intersection sweepers (The one bulb on each end does all 3 functions). On Code 3, like you stated, the lights only go on and sweep about half of the time. The other half they don't turn on, or sweep. I guess this is a common problem with the Excaliburs, is there anything I can do to fix it? I only have 2 more of these bars (It's a semi rare bar here), but I'm not sure if the others function any better or worse.

Thanks!

kitn1mcc

May 24, 2010
Old lyme ct
The Centurion and the Delta Used the Same Rotars. The Centurion is a bright bar and can be built up in many differnt ways

The Advantedge is just cool

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
I'm serious though - with a name like "Val-U-Bar" people are going to assume that it's cheaply priced, and therefore cheaply made, so they won't buy it. FedSig has their Jetstream and Code 3 has the LP6000 as theiir "low-end" lightbar, and they don't have the slightest mention of "value" in their names, so people buy them (and almost invariably use them on tow trucks) - but I've never seen a Whelen Val-U-Bar. I wonder why.

philyumpshus

Jun 20, 2010
Malone, NY
nerdly_dood said:
I'm serious though - with a name like "Val-U-Bar" people are going to assume that it's cheaply priced, and therefore cheaply made, so they won't buy it. FedSig has their Jetstream and Code 3 has the LP6000 as theiir "low-end" lightbar, and they don't have the slightest mention of "value" in their names, so people buy them (and almost invariably use them on tow trucks) - but I've never seen a Whelen Val-U-Bar. I wonder why.

+1 it sounds like a cheap POS. I've seen one and they are really bright; it's too bad Whelen didn't sell more.

As far as the favorite, I'd go with an Aerodynic with big cascade mirrors, independent rotators, and a couple of Intersection clearing lights in the center. And two PAR36s doing a slow alternating flash to the front.

WireKing

Dec 16, 2010
USA Southwest
nerdly_dood said:

You'd be surprised though. Here in Texas, many of the Public Works depts in various cities use the Val-U-Bar. Ive built and reconfigured many of them myself also. They use a thick extruded aluminum base, 3 year warranty rotator assemblies, and "never going to rust" mirrors and reflectors. Its really not a bad lightbar. The small amount of interior room inside the domes means there is not much space to mount options like takedowns and alleys, etc (even though Whelen offered the options to do so). But its still a good bar. At $350 for the basic 4 rotor version, its got alot of bang for the buck.

Whelen_vb447_x400.jpg

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
kitn1mcc said:
The Centurion and the Delta Used the Same Rotars. The Centurion is a bright bar and can be built up in many differnt ways

The Advantedge is just cool

Are you sure? Centurion bars used much bigger rotators from the looks of it... they don't use the same bulbs either.

Delta rotator part number is 02-0484131-02

Centurion part number is 02-0363225-00

delta.JPG

cent.JPG

localhero800

May 22, 2010
Southeast Missouri
My vote is an MX7000. It looks good on just about anything. My 1997 Suburban, a 2001 Blazer(diferent district), Brush truck, Pumper, 2 city police cars, ect ect. You can do pretty much anything with them. Mine is set up as an All Light with clear domes. B<>B< /A-C\>B<>B, Intersections, alleys, and 4 takedowns with the 35watt bulbs.

kitn1mcc

May 24, 2010
Old lyme ct
i thaught they did my bad

the value bar frames can have lots of options built into them i know of a few custom ones on tractors around here

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
kitn1mcc said:
i thaught they did my bad

the value bar frames can have lots of options built into them i know of a few custom ones on tractors around here

Similar rotators though.....

The value bars did have all sorts of options...

Here's the flyer for the 1996 options

ai57.photobucket.com_albums_g205_elightbars_Catalogs_whelen025.jpg

ai57.photobucket.com_albums_g205_elightbars_Catalogs_whelen026.jpg

ai57.photobucket.com_albums_g205_elightbars_Catalogs_whelen028.jpg

ai57.photobucket.com_albums_g205_elightbars_Catalogs_whelen029.jpg

ai57.photobucket.com_albums_g205_elightbars_Catalogs_whelen030.jpg

ai57.photobucket.com_albums_g205_elightbars_Catalogs_whelen031.jpg

ai57.photobucket.com_albums_g205_elightbars_Catalogs_whelen032.jpg

MX7000 hands down, I build my own 69" bars for all of our wreckers. 7 rotators, 4 diamond mirrors, 2 flat mirrors, front and rear intersection lights, 8 lamp arrow stick. yeah, no one even comes close to comparison with our trucks. s <> f <> f / f \ f <> f <> s 1920 fpm not including intersection lights or microthin strobes on the rest of wreckers. We dont just arrive and get the job done, we also provide loss of eyesight at scene. Shues seen one of our 14 ton wreckers a while back towing a vehicle, he was impressed of the light output and effectiveness

PC Comms

May 30, 2010
Beautiful southern Georgia!
Pete L. said:
For me it's the all-light StreetHawk.

+ 1,000,000!!!!

MX7000Guy

Jun 2, 2010
Middle of nowhere, VT
John Smith said:
Matt, I have a Code 3 Excalibur bar on my CVPI, it is an LED bar with incandescent alley lights/takedowns/and intersection sweepers (The one bulb on each end does all 3 functions). On Code 3, like you stated, the lights only go on and sweep about half of the time. The other half they don't turn on, or sweep. I guess this is a common problem with the Excaliburs, is there anything I can do to fix it? I only have 2 more of these bars (It's a semi rare bar here), but I'm not sure if the others function any better or worse.

Thanks!

It sounds like you have smart intersection sweeps with a bad "brain" if they're only moving and turning on sometimes. If they were just not moving at times I'd guess the position sensor, but if the light isn't illuminating it might be the "brain" that's bad.

towtruck said:
MX7000 hands down, I build my own 69" bars for all of our wreckers. 7 rotators, 4 diamond mirrors, 2 flat mirrors, front and rear intersection lights, 8 lamp arrow stick. yeah, no one even comes close to comparison with our trucks. s <> f <> f / f \ f <> f <> s 1920 fpm not including intersection lights or microthin strobes on the rest of wreckers. We dont just arrive and get the job done, we also provide loss of eyesight at scene. Shues seen one of our 14 ton wreckers a while back towing a vehicle, he was impressed of the light output and effectiveness

You have pics?

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
The light output was impressive to say the least. I've seen towtruck's work up close a couple of times, but I had never seen his trucks in service or while in traffic. I was amazed by the quantity of amber light reflected off of the glass in the front of the post office, in broad daylight mind you, while I observed it through the tinted windows of the Fazoli's. The truck was still five blocks away! I must say that towtruck builds an outstanding MX7000!

jazi23firefighter

Jan 16, 2011
Wayne County, PA
I would have to say the MX 7000, streethawk, aerodynic, but my favorite it the vector I like the smart vector though cuz of all the things you can do with it as long as you have the right controller for it!

S

sargeek

For Halogen Bars - I like the old Smith and Wesson Lightbars. The use of the high beam headlight is awesome. Running through an amber filter to the rear, and could be sceen for miles.

clevhgts.jpg

Tunes

Oct 26, 2010
South Africa
The Centurion was a big, ugly bar that only looked right on 7.5tonne plus trucks and terrible on the little euro cars i used to fit them on but i don't think it can be touched light output wise. The Delta certainly wasn't as bright.

The 4000 was a great bar though. Very flexible, anything could go in there. We used to use its bulk to hide the head of our vertical, through roof mast in. Strobe versions were a PITA to repair power supplies though.

The Val-U-Bar, or Nova as we called it was a good bar, much better suited to euro cars. We used to fit dichroic spots, alleys and rear flashers in the bar with cutouts and filters in the domes. Downside was very noisy rotators though. My first homemade light was a square throw light made out of two dome ends and a rotator from the scrap bin. it looked great and still does.

Overall though my favorite rotator bar is the Premier Hazard Midimax. Not because it's bright or particularly reliable just cos it looked sweet on anything and still does in LED form.

[Broken External Image]:http://www.tammivilkut.com/ezimagecatalogue/catalogue/variations/42-400x500.jpg

VFVFCo.68

Jun 15, 2010
Valley Forge, PA
Though i voted for the Vision/Vector, which i love, i got to give credit to the XL5000 for being a very widespread, reliable lightbar. My company has 2 trucks with XLs and they work great, but we have 1 truck with a Vector that i like even better. And we have another with ViewPoints.

toon80

May 24, 2010
Laval, Canada
I know this has been discussed many times but i never been in a close call with a firetruck. Whether on foot, bicycle, or driving.

Regardless of the lightbar/beacon/flashers/leds on and around the truck, I see them in ample time and have therefore enough time to react and get out of the way. (Some truck have halogen flashers only on the back. Maybe in those cases we see them a bit later...)

Be it a XL5000, Vision, Beacon Rays, led Vectors... if it blinks: I leave.

kd0giz

Jun 8, 2010
New Liberty IA
Gonna have to go with ECCO/Hazard's Series 60 evolution bar. Very bright halogen bar and uses belt drive w/ euro rotators!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.