Best throw light?

I use Fed Sig Sentrys for the roof of the White Beast, f250 Super Duty CC, Red on driver side, Blue on pass side. They are wicked bright. 95 flash per min speed. Work great.

NPS Ranger said:
The Sentry and Model 100 use the same 55 watt bulb/reflector assembly as the Streethawk. The Cadet uses a 20 watt bulb.[/quote:28f412n4]

Close. 27 watt bulb. But your point has been made, it's lower wattage compared to others AND the bulb is placed differently from others (instead of standing up), so it's not as effective. At least it's compact for the dash.

Wheher they came off at speed depended on the production year and type of light. And if the roof was dirty or wet, etc.

The original Federal Fireball and SVP( and Smith and Wesson, KD) used four one inch bar magnets to secure the magnetic lights to a roof. And if you kept your car roof cleaned and polished, it might stay on. But above 80 MPH, forget it, particularly on the Ford Crown Vic, the Chevy Caprices, and Plymouths of the 1960s and 70s where the air impacted the roof line. And some idiots even tried to use them on vinyl Landau roofs.

The later generation Fireballs had a one x three inch bar magnet and finally two or three inch round magnets to affix the light to the roof. But the later generation lights have had stronger magnets. And cars were more aerodynamic, so the "Kojak" light could be used and would stay on. I never had any trouble with the Federal Firebeam, or the SVP pancake light, since these used a stronger round magnet.

Are there more than one version of the Cadet? I've seen many different claims for wattage. The Whelen website says 20 watts:

http://www.whelen.com/_AUTOMOTIVE/detai ... rod_id=165

SPECIFICATIONS

Input Voltage ..................12.8 VDC

Current Draw ..................2 amps @12.8 VDC

Lamp (standard) ............20 watt bi-pin halogen

Beam Candlepower .......42,000 (clear)

Operating Temperature ..-30°F (-34°C) to +120°F (49°C)

Weight ............................1lb., 2 oz. (.5kg)

And the installation instructions say:

http://www.whelen.com/_AUTOMOTIVE/install/132/13246.pdf

HALOGEN BULB WARNING:

P / N H20W12 (12V / 20 WATT)

DO NOT INSTALL BULBS EXCEEDING 20 WATTS

But the Sirennet website says 27 watts, you say 27 watts, I've seen many websites claiming 55,000 CP for it, and Galls sells replacement bulbs for it and says they are 35 watts. What gives?

Not that I'm in the market for one, anyway.

This is a install I just did. I used everything Tomar and a Code 3 LED throw light. I think its very bright. Let me know what you think . Im still adding a 10-75 LP bracket with Tomar Rect14's for intersectin warning.

I think all of the Cadet bulb wattages were correct at one time or another, but current lights are 20 watt. I think they lowered the wattage from 35 to 27, and finally 20, because of heat problems.

Dan

NPS Ranger said:
Just to see if it could be done, I bought a used permanent mount Model 100 off Ebay for a couple bucks, put a new 100 watt H1 bulb inside to replace the 55 watt bulb, cemented 4 ceramic ring magnets to the base (almost total base coverage by magnets) and wired it up with zip cord and a cig plug. Have had it up over 100 MPH and it never moved a millimeter, plus it's wicked bright. Just a thought.

And they now make Model 100's in 3 speeds, 95, 120 and 175 FPM.

How does the rotator and lens hold up to the 100 watt bulb? I would feel very well covered with a model 100 on the roof. A nice choice for a light on the high profile side of the spectrum.

I'd never seen the Code 3 LSS222 beacon used, but i'd figured it wouldn't be very bright off-axis - but having seen that video, I quite like it.

JohnMarcson said:
How does the rotator and lens hold up to the 100 watt bulb? I would feel very well covered with a model 100 on the roof. A nice choice for a light on the high profile side of the spectrum.

So far, no problems. Then again I haven't had it running in the Arizona sun for hours on end. Also a blue dome would run hotter than a red or amber so blue may be a problem. I did email FedSig to ask, and they did say not to use 100 watt bulbs.

Code 3 offers 100-watt bulbs in most of their lightbars, but they do advise against using more than one per section on full-size lightbars. Personally I think you're just fine using a 55-watt bulb.

Well i was going to do a video with 100w vs- 55w in a dashlaser, but .. walmart didnt have any in stock.. they were all on order.. Who needs 100w h1 bulbs from walmart.. ?? lol :D

100 watt makes a difference, especially when using a fast flash motor, like the 100F 175 RPM, due to the shorter dwell time. I have used 100 watt in a model 100F 175 RPM early version, with the aluminum reflector. No problems. The dome was fine. Not sure about the newer plastic reflectors.

Dan

nerdly_dood said:
I'd never seen the Code 3 LSS222 beacon used, but i'd figured it wouldn't be very bright off-axis - but having seen that video, I quite like it.
I just ordered another one today for a Volly who saw it in action. Its very good off axis since it has 16 LED's and it doesnt make that annoying rotator noise. I was thinking to try the L32 mag mount but they are like $300 in red.

Jared @ 911Lights said:
FS Firebeam with the Mirror, Hands Down.

As stated.... this is a throw light... for the roof....to give 360 degree coverage. So obviously a firebeam with 5 flash mirror would not work. :oops:

Jared @ 911Lights said:
Sorry, I haven't had a chance to read the entire thread. I would say that a throw light can go either on the roof or in the dash, but I guess you need 260.

-Jared

[/quote:3b4r60wq]

A firebeam w/o mirror on roof would be a fine choice though.

The DashLaser is probably too small to accomodate the greater heat from a 100 watt bulb. Large lights OK, smaller you'll melt the dome, and possibly ignite the plastic. I once bought a Premier Hazzard light, 160 FPM, similar to the DashLaser. They installed a 100 watt bulb, but they drilled a 1/4' hole in the bottom rear of the dome, to allow for heat to escape. I plowed with this light, and didn't have a problem. The FireBeam dome and base is plastic. I wouldn't go more than 55watt on that one for sure.

Dan

My main problem with the Firebeam is that it's square - I figure square single beacons should only be used as a dash light. There are several properly round or teardrop-shaped options available that are similarly effective.

VolEms said:
Whats wrong with square . It flashes the same

That's what I thought. When it's on your roof, who cares what shape it is.

rwo978 said:
That's what I thought. When it's on your roof, who cares what shape it is.

A square one is going to have more drag - which means less fuel economy, and an increased chance it will come off at higher speeds. The difference won't probably be all that big though.

RJ* said:
A square one is going to have more drag - which means less fuel economy, and an increased chance it will come off at higher speeds. The difference won't probably be all that big though.

On a roof, the wind will never notice a firebeam , its so small, and if you got that light on at speeds that drag would be affected, maybe you should slow down. Ive left my firebeam on on highways at 110-120 km/h, no issues.

I just think a square light is counterintuitive for a single rotating beacon, plus I just think it's a bit ugly. But that's just my opinion on appearance, it doesn't affect the visibility of the light, so if you want a Firebeam, go for it. (But allow me to recommend the dual-speed version, if I may)

I still recommend the new Code 3 LED beacon light- bright as snot, has patterns that closely mimic halogen rotators, and low, low amperage draw compared to halogen. (oh and cheap, considering...)

:p

That I also like; I think it's better with a colored dome.

I was debating for a while about clear or color dome. I got a color dome in red . I think its nicer.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNConstable