Best way to black out the top of a Jetstream dome

Hello all,

I am working on a Jetstream for our local volunteer fire department. The bar I removed from their rig has been completely destroyed by sunlight. The gears are powder and the wiring is rigid, brittle, and breaks when you move it. I am putting a refurbished Jetstream back on the rig, and I want to add some sun protection to it.

The domes have the clear textured 'sunblock' sections on the top. I remember the old Jetsonic domes actually had black paint or vinyl on them. I want to do something similar to this one. My question: Would I be better served by taping and spraying with a black paint, a heavier black coating like spray-on vinyl, or would a lighter color such as white or silver be better to reflect rather than absorb heat? They don't have any money to spend on expensive upgrades like a new bar or other changes, so I'm doing this for them on a barter and trade plan. This bar is going on top of a mid-90's Chevy Blazer, so most people won't see the top of the bar. Ideas...?

PS: I tried to search for older threads with this information, because I seem to remember reading comments about sun blocking in the past, but the search feature on our board isn't that intuitive, at least for this topic.

J-Rock1944

Jun 26, 2013
Lexington, Kentucky
Have you considered "Plasti-dip?" They make in a multitude of colors, with the option of brush on or spray can types. The good thing about it, is that you peel it off if you don't like it or need to clean the bar or some such. The more layers you add, the easier it will be to peel off (if you need too) and the longer it lasts. They're usually about $10 a can and are in pretty much every hardware store.

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
Tape and paper the area off. Scruff it up a bit and throw some black spray paint on it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
chief1565 said:
Tape and paper the area off. Scruff it up a bit and through some black spray paint on it.
Agree, and I'll add that Krylon Fusion is probably the best for this. It is specially formulated for plastic and adheres better than most any other paints. I've used a variety of colors on a variety of projects and am very pleased with the results every time. I'd also suggest painting the outside of the plastic rather than the inside. That way, there is some UV protection for the lens as well.

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
If you're that worried use silver paint.

But the black has been used alot.

Torpedo

May 9, 2012
USA Fl
I protected the top of my Aero Dynic with Home Depot shelf paper in white. In fact, I like this product so much I wrapped the entire white portion of my rescue with it instead of repainting it. $70.00 worth of *vinyl vs. 3K worth of paint for a .5K value truck made cents to me. I feel white will also further reduce heat into the light bar during sunny days. As for the durability/UV stability of the product I mentioned, I did the hood (hottest part of this Floriduh truck, no insulation/liner) as a test over three years ago and it is just now starting to look like it needs another "coat". Love bugs? No problem, just heat gun strip off and reapply. It comes off whole but in my case takes paint with it due to the wrong primer being used by the county that once owned this unit. I'm $old on this cheap solution so far. Just don't park too close to a "worker". (I don't)

:|

Strobe Craft

Jul 23, 2011
IL
Black Spray paint or the Plasti-Dip. Plasti dip is nice to cause it provides some scratch protection also.

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
chief1565 said:
If you're that worried use silver paint. ...

I used silver on mine to reflect the light back. I don't need to make the inside any more like an EZ Bake.

Solvarex

Jun 2, 2010
Canada
JazzDad said:
I used silver on mine to reflect the light back. I don't need to make the inside any more like an EZ Bake.
Have you ever touched a 55 watt halogen bulb after it's been on for a few minutes? No amount of sunlight will get your bar hotter than the lamps inside will.

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
True.

But even if they are not on in the hot baking sun anything will deteriate.

I had the Argent I built on the Caprice for 3 years and just took it off because the car is done and being retired.

And there is no 55 watt bulbs in it and with the clear tops all my wiring is fade out because of the sun.

So your theory on that is gone.

Solvarex

Jun 2, 2010
Canada
chief1565 said:
And there is no 55 watt bulbs in it and with the clear tops all my wiring is fade out because of the sun.
So your theory on that is gone.
Please stop making a fool of yourself. Heat didn't fade your wires, ultraviolet light did. Heat is caused by infrared light.

Dozzer295

Jun 23, 2012
Middle Tennessee, US
when I had my Jetstrobe mounted to my Grand Cherokee I used gorilla glue duct tape on the top textured part and the center dome as I had nothing in the center. worked like a charm, in fact that tape is still in place now that I think about it. I had planned on using krylon fusion spray paint, but seeing as how the tape held fast and was so durable I decided to keep it on there. Just one more thing that duct tape is good for.

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
Solvarex said:
Please stop making a fool of yourself. Heat didn't fade your wires, ultraviolet light did. Heat is caused by infrared light.

You know you're about as smart has I am.

your responce to JD

Originally Posted by JazzDad

Solvarex

Have you ever touched a 55 watt halogen bulb after it's been on for a few minutes? No amount of sunlight will get your bar hotter than the lamps inside will.

And like I said you're trying to say a 55 watt bulb will do more damage to parts inside a bar than sunlight.

I was trying to say theat sun does the same. You leave a vehicle out it the sun all day and the heat will go up higher than any 55watt bulb ever will.

What do you think cooks a intellflash in my Arjent ultraviolet light? Heat does and not from a 55watt bulb.

And you need to phrase your replies a little better did I call you a fool no.

Have a little respect for others on here.

I could come back and bash you do but I'm better than that.

And this is not the place or the Ring to do that in.

The op asked for comments not to start a bashing thread. :rant:

Now back on topic.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sadlad

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.