Bird Strike

Keith K.

May 21, 2010
Western States
Results of a Quail vs. a Whelen Liberty. Total damage amounted to a new lens, LIN6 module and module holder. The bird was DOA. While I was repairing the lightbar, I found bird seed throughout the inside of the lightbar...

ff168577

May 22, 2010
Levittown, Pa
Several years ago, I had a wreck on the Pa turnpike that involved a goose. It killed the driver of the van, leading him up a hill in to a bunch of trees, heavily pinning his wife(passenger), and 7 of her students that were traveling to Harrisburg for a week for a science convention.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
thats pretty intense

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
Keith K. said:
... I found bird seed throughout the inside of the lightbar...

Partially digested bird seed! :puke:

PJD642

May 20, 2010
east of Cleveland
Hmph. Sissy lightbars they're selling nowadays. Back when I was a project cop I nailed a pigeon with a Streethawk attached to a caprice doing well over 80. Streethawk never flinched.

(And yeah, we needed the big engines in those Caprices to get over 80 with that giant brick wall on top of the cruiser. That was back in the days with speakers in the middle of the lightbar, hearing be damned!)

Jan 20, 2011
Lake of the Ozarks
PJD642 said:
Hmph. Sissy lightbars they're selling nowadays. Back when I was a project cop I nailed a pigeon with a Streethawk attached to a caprice doing well over 80. Streethawk never flinched.

(And yeah, we needed the big engines in those Caprices to get over 80 with that giant brick wall on top of the cruiser. That was back in the days with speakers in the middle of the lightbar, hearing be damned!)

The angled dome definitely helps it deflect the bird...if the dome was flat I don't think it would have survived. lol

NoVAFed

Dec 28, 2011
Earth, USA, Northern VA
PJD642 said:

What, I can't hear you?

You used to know your siren was loud when that Setina cage would start to vibrate from the siren over it. Wonder what else we didn't know or think about is going to come back and bite us?

:duh:

RyanZ71

Jun 14, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Is it just me or is Whelen using different types of plastic now compared to what I am used to on their older bars? You could hit those things with a hammer and the lens would not shatter.

Oct 1, 2012
Bamberg, Germany
PJD642 said:

Maybe that is why they called it the "streethawk" ;)

Had a deer the other night that wanted to play chicken with my Ram. Luckily, I was going slow enough but I think he saw my bull bar on the front and thought twice about it.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htamboli

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.