Blank Childrens Hospitol Transport Unit

emt.micah

Sep 6, 2012
Northwest Indiana
Peds transport rigs usually are huge. Often staffed with RNs and a respiratory tech, there is usually space for a ventilator ans other special equipment. They have the 4-door cab for crew comfort en-route to pick up the PT or on the way home. These rigs often drive hours each way between hospitals.

Flashguy

Jan 4, 2011
United States, Florida
jd3.jpg

Crewcab often transports families of the sick/injured child. The box is large, as mentioned earlier for all the specialized equipment. A lot of agencies around South Florida have similar units.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
SomeBloke said:
Ah, Gotcha.

I'm just used to Mercedes Sprinters for everything. Like this.

Locally, Ohio/Michigan USA, the size of these vary from as large as the extended one in the OP, down to regular for "type III" mods. The size of the unit varies a lot from location to location even amongst children's hospital units.

timlinson

Apr 11, 2011
North Dakota
Question. Does a CC ambulance employ it's own CC nurses/respiratory therapists/paramedics, or do they bring the hospital's?

Flashguy

Jan 4, 2011
United States, Florida
timlinson said:
Question. Does a CC ambulance employ it's own CC nurses/respiratory therapists/paramedics, or do they bring the hospital's?

The ambulance I posted above is American Ambulance (private ambulance company.) They staff two paramedics from American that are only for that hospital (Joe DiMaggio) but during any transports will use hospital RN/Respiratory etc.

Other big medic units from fire rescue departments in Florida:

thumb_MiamiDadeRescue27.jpg

post-19533-127313870555_thumb.jpgS

7769562638_a46613b2f4_z.jpg

3439928800_8fbd8bd022_m.jpg

94727483162696675.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
interesting ambos. Sometimes I wish we would have a 4 door ambo. I kind of like the ones that have a cab that look somewhat like an engine. I would like the room in the cab. I think a

Pierce ambo would be pretty cool

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
timlinson said:
The ambulance company around me has two "Children's Hospital" bus(but I think the larger Chevy is retired), it is staffed by a EMT/Paramedic Driverand Paramedic from the ambulance company, and nurses and doctor's from the hospital.

ai619.photobucket.com_albums_tt272_lafd55_DSC_9364copy.jpg

ai619.photobucket.com_albums_tt272_lafd55_DSC_3574copy.jpg

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Very cool unit, and I love the graphics. I just think the name of the hospital is funny (when I saw the title of the thread, I thought it was a demo CCT unit for hospitals lol

Eric1249 said:
interesting ambos. Sometimes I wish we would have a 4 door ambo. I kind of like the ones that have a cab that look somewhat like an engine. I would like the room in the cab. I think a
Pierce ambo would be pretty cool

They are definitely very cool, spacious, and fun drive, but unfortunately they are not necessary most of the time in the SE Florida area, where are handful of those pics are from...while a lot of departments down here used to have a combination of 3 Firemedics & Firefighter/EMT's on a rig, currently, about 1/2 the departments with quad cab freightliners or internationals are staffing them with 2 person crews the majority of the time, due to staffing/budget reasons. My dept has 2-3 FF's on a DuraStar rescue, but we only have a 2 door cab with the 3rd FF in the rotating captains chair in the back; being from NY (where I only rode in F-series and E-series ambos), I'm more than comfy in the back of our rescues. Some of the departments (ie palm beach county) are going to 2 door cabs now; I'm guessing that the cost to operate the bigger units is a big factor in that

Mike L.

May 21, 2010
Everett, WA
timlinson said:

Here in Seattle, we provide the ambos for Childerens. We staff it with only one EMT. The EMT is assigned to quarters at the hospital and their only job is to drive the ambulance. When a call comes in appropriate staff will be pulled from the hospital, usually 2 RN's and an RT or MD depending on patient. We also have a Baby Car for Swedish that has no stretcher so it can carry the isolet.

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4125/4838296282_1cd8170d37_m.jpg

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4147/4841925110_ab1a898495_m.jpg

vc859

Oct 31, 2010
USA/ New York
I never understood hiring EMTs as drivers when they do no medical work at all.

If all you are looking for is a driver, then advertise the position as a Motor Vehicle Operator, give him CPR/AED/First Aid training and A LOT of EVOC training, more than normal EMS agencies.

Hiring EMTs and not letting them use their skills seems like a quick path to turnover and disillusionment if you ask me.

Mike L.

May 21, 2010
Everett, WA
vc859 said:

If all you are looking for is a driver, then advertise the position as a Motor Vehicle Operator, give him CPR/AED/First Aid training and A LOT of EVOC training, more than normal EMS agencies.

Hiring EMTs and not letting them use their skills seems like a quick path to turnover and disillusionment if you ask me.

First off, in our company the position is usually staffed by those getting ready to retire. Even though you are an AMR employee you need to interview with the hospital for the position.

Second, You work out of the hospital. When not on a call you can be called to assist in the ER as a Tech.

Third, WA State Law requires every ambulance to be staffed by an EMT or medic. RN's and MD's are not allowed to staff an ambulance unless they obtain their EMT.

Fourth, These are Critical Care Units. By the time these units are needed the patient is far beyond the capabilities of an EMT or a Medic. That is not to say the EMT doesn't get to assist if the doctor or nurse trusts them.

timlinson

Apr 11, 2011
North Dakota
vc859 said:

ND requires an ambulance to be staffed by an EMT and a CPR/EVO certified driver.We staff ours with EMTs or RNs as our providers and first responders as our drivers. RNs usually do ALS transfers and EMTs do BLS runs.

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
lafd55 said:
The ambulance company around me has two "Children's Hospital" bus(but I think the larger Chevy is retired), it is staffed by a EMT/Paramedic Driver and Paramedic from the ambulance company, and nurses and doctor's from the hospital.

You are correct; the larger is for sale. Mohawk just offered it to a commercial outfit up this way. I don't think they'll be buying it, but never say never.

Light It Up

Jun 19, 2011
bk ny
Steve0625 said:
You are correct; the larger is for sale. Mohawk just offered it to a commercial outfit up this way. I don't think they'll be buying it, but never say never.

In all seriousNess price

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
Light It Up said:
In all seriousNess price

That I didn't get. If you're interested or know someone who might be, have them contact Mohawk.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woobatu

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.