Blue Twinsonic Dome cleaning

gpd132

May 24, 2010
Gulfport, MS
I got 2 blue twinsonic domes. I washed them, wet sanded them, and polished them. The Turtle Wax headlight restore kit did a good job for me. Is it possible to get the domes to be a solid blue? After finishing mine they still have a very slight off blue/greenish tint. Its not so noticable until I compare it to the inside part of the dome covered by the speaker grill thats never been exposed to the sun. That part looks right out the box blue. So is more sanding/cleaning the cure or has the sun gotten into the plastic and changed the tint for good?

Before:

[Broken External Image]:http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad126/gpd132/IMG_1826.jpg

After:

[Broken External Image]:http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad126/gpd132/IMG_1825.jpg

May 21, 2010
Wilkes-Barre, Pa
I just polished a blue one myself and it also has that issue. The sun does do damage to the plastic that can't fixed. Clear domes are a good example of how discoloring cannot be removed. Your dome looks very nice, once it's on the bar it will look awesome.

gpd132

May 24, 2010
Gulfport, MS
I used the Turtle Wax Headlight Restore Kit. It comes with 3 pads, one of which has different grades on each side. The grades are not mentioned, they are labeled 1 - 4. It also comes with a lubricating spray and a polishing compound. I got slightly better results when I sanded horizontal, vertical and horizontal again, but I don't know if it was worth the extra time. Then I used the polishing compound applying by hand and removing with an orbital buffer. Later I will use Novus #1 on them as the final step. They came out pretty nice but not as nice as some i've seen. But mine were really discolored so maybe I have them as good as they will get. I have red domes and used the same process and got similar results. I did notice when applying the polishing compound by hand the sponge turned brownish. I may continue the polishing process and see if i can get to the point where the sponge does not turn colors. Thats what I did with mine.

gpd132

May 24, 2010
Gulfport, MS
oh, i forgot to mention, you can use 2000 grit wet/dry also but I found the kit did fine and I found the small square sanding pads easy to use

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.