BMW e60 amber install

devinwwu

Jun 1, 2012
United States
Hey guys.

I have installed a few serious in my old cars mainly for awareness when I stop to help someone on the shoulder.

I'm not a LEO, so I've always used amber and clear. I also wanted a professional looking setup for car meets

Mostly for fun and a challenge (not activating while driving around to scare people)

It's not fully complete yet. What I have so far:

Rear:

Tai lights have an amber whelen vertex in each corner. These are synced.

There is a federal signal traffic advisor in amber that is controlled by a whelen ufm8.

Front:

I have installed a soundoff signal pinnacle headliner bar that is a universal fit. I had to fabricate a cover that bolted between the sun visor attachments in order to mount.

So far the install is pretty easily removed.

I have a few cleanup things to do and plan to add two more sets of amber vertex to the front of the car. Probably one in the headlight but I'm not sure on the other set.

The overall goal was to make this a very clean install that is subtle and not noticeable until active. With the tint band at top none of the lights can be seen while off.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397919974.664660.jpg

I can't figure out how to post a video from my phone so I'll have to try that later.

Constructive criticism and advice is appreciated.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397919934.640385.jpg

GPC

Oct 17, 2010
North Carolina
You are probably going to get some comments on how you are a whacker and whatnot for having amber lights on a vehicle like that but, whatever, I think it is cool and look forward to seeing a video.

How about a couple of grill lights?

devinwwu

Jun 1, 2012
United States
GPC said:
You are probably going to get some comments on how you are a whacker and whatnot for having amber lights on a vehicle like that but, whatever, I think it is cool and look forward to seeing a video.

How about a couple of grill lights?

I hope that folks will just appreciate that we share a common interest and recognize that I don't have an install business to play with "typical" cars so I just install on my own to create something that you don't see everyday.

I appreciate your comments

here is a video of my old 540i with whelen clear strobes in the fogs, high beams and rear corners. It also had an amber slimlighter in the front dash

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/JSf2zyaZsgs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

here is the current car.

Sorry for the cell phone video

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/lOHaXpDvBqQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

YPD-ACU

Mar 11, 2013
Westchester County, NY
I can appreciate your interest in lighting but being the true BMW fan that I am if that's an actual M5 which it appears to be from the front I would not install Lighting on it. Only because you're taking away from the sexy nature of the car being that its a European high performance car. Even if some european countries use them as Police cars , I just couldnt do it. If I was you I would get a different car to install lights on. Doesn't have to be a Law Enforcement look a like just something other then a sexy BMW M5, Just my opinion. But for what its worth your current set-up doesn't look bad.

devinwwu

Jun 1, 2012
United States
YPD-ACU said:
I can appreciate your interest in lighting but being the true BMW fan that I am if that's an actual M5 which it appears to be from the front I would not install Lighting on it. Only because you're taking away from the sexy nature of the car being that its a European high performance car. Even if some european countries use them as Police cars , I just couldnt do it. If I was you I would get a different car to install lights on. Doesn't have to be a Law Enforcement look a like just something other then a sexy BMW M5, Just my opinion. But for what its worth your current set-up doesn't look bad.

Thanks for the comments

It is a true m5 and it sounds like you know how to spot a fake.

I've been a BMW enthusiast for about the last 10 years and owned several models.

I do appreciate that people may think it takes away from the car to do this kind of lighting.

I made sure to make everything easily removed and tried to minimize any permanent changes. So far the only "permanent" effects are the two vertex holes in the tail lights which will not adversely affect the car if they are removed.

NFD-102

Aug 1, 2011
NW Connecticut
oh boy...here we go. Why not just pass by and help someone by calling 9-11. God for bid something terrible happens to you or they claim you do something to them. Just call 9-11. Let us do the work.

Reactions: emergency_ram12

devinwwu

Jun 1, 2012
United States
NFD-102 said:
oh boy...here we go. Why not just pass by and help someone by calling 9-11. God for bid something terrible happens to you or they claim you do something to them. Just call 9-11. Let us do the work.

Point taken.

I guess I should clarify that when I say "helping on the shoulder" I would limit to simple flat tire changes etc. where I would not be adding to the danger/risk of the situation.

More of a "Good Samaritan" role

In the event of an emergency or dangerous location I would absolutely call the appropriate first responders.

occram

Sep 22, 2010
New Jersey
You won't catch any flak from me. Half the people here, if they're honest with themselves, would admit to not truly needing half the lights or equipment they install (myself included). I enjoy the work and am an enthusiast just the same as you. I respect that you stayed away from red and blue. You have a beautiful car and from what I can see from the outside, it looks good.

CodeMan

Dec 27, 2012
Central Florida
occram said:
You won't catch any flak from me. Half the people here, if they're honest with themselves, would admit to not truly needing half the lights or equipment they install (myself included). I enjoy the work and am an enthusiast just the same as you. I respect that you stayed away from red and blue. You have a beautiful car and from what I can see from the outside, it looks good.

Agreed !

That would make for a sweet security vehicle for the Upscale Gated Communities, I remember back in the 80's a community called Sweetwater Oaks had two fully marked white Cadillac sedan Deville's w/amber light bars for security patrol cars..

I've been pondering the idea of mounting Amber HAWs in the rear tail lights of my wife's Soul with a simple alternating pattern incase she breaks down on the interstate... Since most people here in the US are oblivious to hazard lights and what they mean... :(

Last edited by a moderator:

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
It's a nice car and good flash patterns but:

A) I still do not honestly see the need to have lights in your vehicle, especially the lightbars. I mean, how many times a year do you pull over and render roadside assistance to people?

B) if I had an M5, I would not touch it with a drill or put any lights in it

codycat91

Feb 17, 2011
NY
occram said:

I normally don't comment on here, but this is one of the most honest statements I've read on this forum. If be willing to bet 90% of the people here have more lights than they "need" and in most cases, sure it could add to our safety while not being "needed," but on the same token, it is a hobby and fun to do. Nothing better than putting in time and effort and then being able to sit back and appreciate your work.

Also, nothing worse than coming upon something on a public highway that you would need to warn others of (MVA) and not having anything. I've been there, while driving the gf's vehicle and coming across an MVA, it sucks looking for your light switch and realizing all you have are your dim 4-way flashers. I would always rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

jhallgren22

Sep 8, 2013
Norton, MA
Being a non-emergency personnel on here, with lighting on my vehicle (Following MA state guidelines for color) but due to working construction where we may be parked on roadway or doing work in the road. I like the install, looks good, I just don't see the need for the front bar or to add more than a traffic advisor. I have 2 E6 lights that are on my truck at all times to the rear, as well as a mini phantom on the passenger headliner just for when I park facing oncoming traffic, but I would doubt there would be a time you would need the front bar? Its hidden though so I don't mind. VERY jealous of the car though. :eek:

CodeMan

Dec 27, 2012
Central Florida
codycat91 said:
I normally don't comment on here, but this is one of the most honest statements I've read on this forum. If be willing to bet 90% of the people here have more lights than they "need" and in most cases, sure it could add to our safety while not being "needed," but on the same token, it is a hobby and fun to do. Nothing better than putting in time and effort and then being able to sit back and appreciate your work.

Also, nothing worse than coming upon something on a public highway that you would need to warn others of (MVA) and not having anything. I've been there, while driving the gf's vehicle and coming across an MVA, it sucks looking for your light switch and realizing all you have are your dim 4-way flashers. I would always rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

I remember years ago, I rolled up on a really bad 3 car mva just around a curve (I pulled up on the shoulder) the other good Samaritan parked back from the scene. We were trying to help the injured and it happened someone came flying around the corner and took out the guys pick up which added to the crash he did have his hazards on. since then I have always had a rotating or strobe Amber throw light on the floorboard. They tend to see it faster & farther than the factory hazards... ;)

devinwwu

Jun 1, 2012
United States
Appreciate the feedback guys. I expected to catch some flak, but it is nice to see that others can appreciate the install despite the potential non-usefulness of it.

I too would agree that the lights are unnecessary, but making my cars unique is something I enjoy doing.

I probably won't find much use for the front bar except that it is cool to be able to show a strobe setup at a car show that isn't an eBay special plasmaglow kit.

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
Install looks good and clean... :thumbsup:

And to everyone giving this guy flak, remember this: He came into this forum THE CORRECT WAY!!! He didn't come in here with an attitude or a big chip on his shoulder about his lights and all like many other whacker newbs do, and I commend him for that... Coming from the vehicle modification side before I got into the emergency responder side, I did the same things to my pre-responder vehicles... Not in the "assist other motorists" capacity, but in the car show/accessory capacity...

Again, great job with the install and coming into this forum the proper way!!!

Snibsey

Sep 12, 2012
UK
Why ruin a great car with a Whacker set-up? :hopeless:

If you really must be a knight of the road invest a few dollars in an amber throw light that can spend its days tucked away in the boot (trunk).

Iowamedic2013

Feb 14, 2014
Bellevue Iowa
Agreeing with some folks here like your setup..I don't like the fact that you did it on an car like that just being the car lover I am but I do think it looks good and appreciate you staying away from red and blue. I had an F250 a few year back that I had some amber lights on when I worked road construction and when I left that company I kept my lights incase I did help someone on the side of the road due to people around here not really paying attention to the standard hazard flashers on vehicles...overall it looks good and I like it

TheGatekeeper

Jun 19, 2010
France
occram said:

Hey, don't generalize please, I DO need half the lights I got ! ;)

firedogg2

Nov 1, 2011
Fort Myers, Florida
NFD-102 said:

When someone drives by and calls 911, we call them "cell phone heroes", and ask ourselves why the he!! couldn't they just stop and say "hey, are you ok?". Instead of wasting all these resources for a guy sleeping on the side of a bench. But when someone is interested in stopping and helping, we given him crap. I agree there is defiantly a time and a place that the 911 system should only be used and you should keep yourself out of it but I wish we had more citizens like these with some common sense to just be a good samaritan as long as they don't put themselves in danger. Thank you and don't do anything stupid.

Casey

jhallgren22

Sep 8, 2013
Norton, MA
firedogg2 said:
When someone drives by and calls 911, we call them "cell phone heroes", and ask ourselves why the he!! couldn't they just stop and say "hey, are you ok?". Instead of wasting all these resources for a guy sleeping on the side of a bench. But when someone is interested in stopping and helping, we given him crap. I agree there is defiantly a time and a place that the 911 system should only be used and you should keep yourself out of it but I wish we had more citizens like these with some common sense to just be a good samaritan as long as they don't put themselves in danger. Thank you and don't do anything stupid.

Casey

Well said. Made me think of my grandmothers sister, she broke down on the side of the road, dosnt have a cell phone and was somewhere in vermont. Luckily someone did stop and help her and get her on her way, there wasn't a need for police of anything she just needed help with the car (can't remember the simple problem) But this reply to the OP was a good one. :)

CodeMan

Dec 27, 2012
Central Florida
firedogg2 said:

Casey

This is why you educate the public to use the NON Emergency #'s, as most people have cell phones. If they don't have one offer yours so they can call someone. I agree with having good Samaritans, but in this day and age there's always a risk as that person broke down could be running from the law & now he has a neat BMW.. Lots of could be's, what if's, kudos for him being one wanting to help & for helping others :thumbsup: .

Waste of recourses? most people don't want to get involved, THAT GUY sleeping could be a heavy drunk sleeper, O/D or dead.. Here typically the PD responds to check them out, then calls the FD if needed. and it's never considered a wasted resource..

Last edited by a moderator:

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
I need all the lights I have.... and could use more!

:D

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GSPS629

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.