Border Wars

Station 3

Member
May 21, 2010
3,395
Edinburg Texas
Dang have you seen that show all the new episodes are from my area McAllen, Falfurias, Alton ,Penitas, Hidalgo, Hidalgo County, its awesome im glad that they are doing a very good job and that show has shed some light and really helped me appreciate what the Border Patrol do. Makes my job patroling the streets look like childs play :eek:
 

surf_kat

Member
May 28, 2010
58
SE AZ
Station 3 said:
Dang have you seen that show all the new episodes are from my area McAllen, Falfurias, Alton ,Penitas, Hidalgo, Hidalgo County, its awesome im glad that they are doing a very good job and that show has shed some light and really helped me appreciate what the Border Patrol do. Makes my job patroling the streets look like childs play :eek:

We're doing another hiring push right now for Border Patrol. Go to http://www.usajobs.opm.gov and type Border Patrol in as the keywords. Max age is 40 unless you have vet preference. The pay is decent (unless you are looking at SoCal): a law enforcement officer with a year of street experience can probably meet the GL-9 requirements which is a starting pay of $49k for most of the SW border. Even with < 1 year LE experience a person can rate a GL-7 which is $43,900ish and an increase to a GL-9 in six months. The journeyman level is GS-12, so a GL-9 will promote to GS-11 after a year ($57,400 ish) then GS-12 after another year ($68,800ish). Once you get to GS-12 you get yearly step increases until GS-12 step 4 when it bumps to every two years.


That is base pay. On top of the base, we have night differential (10%) for any hours worked between 6p and 6a, and Sunday pay (25%): if any of the regularly scheduled hours are on a Sunday, you get that premium pay for the whole regularly scheduled shift. Then we have Administratively Uncontrolled Overtime (AUO) which is 25% of the base pay paid for an average of 2 hours unscheduled OT per day (taking our workdays from 8 to 10 hours). Realistically with shift diff and AUO, the paycheck is about 40% over the base pay rate.


There are a lot of different 'detail' assignments such as horses, ATVs, bikes, intel, K9, BORTAC (national tactical team), BORSTAR (national search and rescue unit), station/sector level EMS programs, training, teaching at the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center in the BP Basic and Advanced academies, etc.


It is NICHE law enforcement, dealing with illegal immigration, drug smuggling and to a lesser extent gun/money smuggling. It can be a stepping stone to other federal agencies, but many who have made that jump will say they enjoyed the field aspect of BP work a lot better.


One good resource is HonorFirst.com and the related message board on delphi forums known as United States Border Patrol.
 

Mike L.

Member
May 21, 2010
261
Everett, WA
I like the show. A few years ago they were doing a hiring push for WA state and I wasn't interested. Now that I am, they are not hiring for this area...go figure. Oh well, probably go Customs since that is what I basicly do already.
 

YieldRight

New Member
Sep 25, 2010
5
Central Illinois
It's amazing what goes on down along the border, and especially just south of it. If most people knew what was going on there, I think there'd be a lot more outrage.
 

TX-LEO

Member
May 24, 2010
139
San Antonio
Station 3 said:
Dang have you seen that show all the new episodes are from my area McAllen, Falfurias, Alton ,Penitas, Hidalgo, Hidalgo County, its awesome im glad that they are doing a very good job and that show has shed some light and really helped me appreciate what the Border Patrol do. Makes my job patroling the streets look like childs play :eek:


Yep. My take on it too. I stayed up until 3am the other night catching up on all the episodes I missed over the last couple of months that were on my DVR. They are kicking ass. They just need to hire some more ass kickers. I would do it if I knew spanish, and was single.
 

CenTexPSE

Member
May 21, 2010
789
Covington, TX
surf_kat said:
We're doing another hiring push right now for Border Patrol. Go to http://www.usajobs.opm.gov and type Border Patrol in as the keywords. Max age is 40 unless you have vet preference. The pay is decent (unless you are looking at SoCal): a law enforcement officer with a year of street experience can probably meet the GL-9 requirements which is a starting pay of $49k for most of the SW border. Even with < 1 year LE experience a person can rate a GL-7 which is $43,900ish and an increase to a GL-9 in six months. The journeyman level is GS-12, so a GL-9 will promote to GS-11 after a year ($57,400 ish) then GS-12 after another year ($68,800ish). Once you get to GS-12 you get yearly step increases until GS-12 step 4 when it bumps to every two years.


That is base pay. On top of the base, we have night differential (10%) for any hours worked between 6p and 6a, and Sunday pay (25%): if any of the regularly scheduled hours are on a Sunday, you get that premium pay for the whole regularly scheduled shift. Then we have Administratively Uncontrolled Overtime (AUO) which is 25% of the base pay paid for an average of 2 hours unscheduled OT per day (taking our workdays from 8 to 10 hours). Realistically with shift diff and AUO, the paycheck is about 40% over the base pay rate.


There are a lot of different 'detail' assignments such as horses, ATVs, bikes, intel, K9, BORTAC (national tactical team), BORSTAR (national search and rescue unit), station/sector level EMS programs, training, teaching at the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center in the BP Basic and Advanced academies, etc.


It is NICHE law enforcement, dealing with illegal immigration, drug smuggling and to a lesser extent gun/money smuggling. It can be a stepping stone to other federal agencies, but many who have made that jump will say they enjoyed the field aspect of BP work a lot better.


One good resource is HonorFirst.com and the related message board on delphi forums known as United States Border Patrol.[/quote:3nfg5tdr]


Can you pick where you want to live, or do they tell you where your going?
 

Station 3

Member
May 21, 2010
3,395
Edinburg Texas
tx-leo@coptalk.net said:
Yep. My take on it too. I stayed up until 3am the other night catching up on all the episodes I missed over the last couple of months that were on my DVR. They are kicking ass. They just need to hire some more ass kickers. I would do it if I knew spanish, and was single.[/quote:2kdutesv]


They send you to a basic spanish class i think thats one of the classes they have to get certified at before they graduate.
 

DLuccia

Member
May 21, 2010
675
Greater Waterbury CT
I took the CBP test in Boston last big push they told me only southwest areas that they are required to test in spanish. I wanted to be on the Northern border of Canada.I made it to my medical evaluation but got no further due to my medical condition.
 

Rofocowboy84

Member
May 20, 2010
1,161
Centre County, PA
surf_kat said:
We're doing another hiring push right now for Border Patrol. Go to http://www.usajobs.opm.gov and type Border Patrol in as the keywords. Max age is 40 unless you have vet preference. The pay is decent (unless you are looking at SoCal): a law enforcement officer with a year of street experience can probably meet the GL-9 requirements which is a starting pay of $49k for most of the SW border. Even with < 1 year LE experience a person can rate a GL-7 which is $43,900ish and an increase to a GL-9 in six months. The journeyman level is GS-12, so a GL-9 will promote to GS-11 after a year ($57,400 ish) then GS-12 after another year ($68,800ish). Once you get to GS-12 you get yearly step increases until GS-12 step 4 when it bumps to every two years.


That is base pay. On top of the base, we have night differential (10%) for any hours worked between 6p and 6a, and Sunday pay (25%): if any of the regularly scheduled hours are on a Sunday, you get that premium pay for the whole regularly scheduled shift. Then we have Administratively Uncontrolled Overtime (AUO) which is 25% of the base pay paid for an average of 2 hours unscheduled OT per day (taking our workdays from 8 to 10 hours). Realistically with shift diff and AUO, the paycheck is about 40% over the base pay rate.


There are a lot of different 'detail' assignments such as horses, ATVs, bikes, intel, K9, BORTAC (national tactical team), BORSTAR (national search and rescue unit), station/sector level EMS programs, training, teaching at the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center in the BP Basic and Advanced academies, etc.


It is NICHE law enforcement, dealing with illegal immigration, drug smuggling and to a lesser extent gun/money smuggling. It can be a stepping stone to other federal agencies, but many who have made that jump will say they enjoyed the field aspect of BP work a lot better.


One good resource is HonorFirst.com and the related message board on delphi forums known as United States Border Patrol.[/quote:3tyjo6fp]


Does State Corrections count as LE experience? I know many departments count it, but federal's always a little different, lol. Also, what are the entrance requirements? How about the pay along the northern border?
 

surf_kat

Member
May 28, 2010
58
SE AZ
CenTexPSE said:
Can you pick where you want to live, or do they tell you where your going?[/quote:1lqabmt5]


Usually they will try to accommodate the primary 'geographical preference' (for example the four southwest border geo preferences are California, Arizona, New Mexico/West Texas, South Texas), but depending on staffing needs you might be asked if you'll take a position outside of your primary preference. When you are offered a position, you will be given a specific station or choice of a couple of stations. Typically if you turn down a station in your primary geo preference you are removed from consideration (to discourage 'station shopping').
 

surf_kat

Member
May 28, 2010
58
SE AZ
Rofocowboy84 said:
Does State Corrections count as LE experience? I know many departments count it, but federal's always a little different, lol. Also, what are the entrance requirements? How about the pay along the northern border?[/quote:13g0lj8e]


State corrections does count as LE experience. If you are a good writer, you can definitely articulate your experience to enter on duty as a GL-7 (the promotion to GL-9 will come automatically after 6 months of satisfactory performance). USAJOBS (www.usajobs.opm.gov) has the current vacancy announcement for the SW border (set to expire at 11:59 pm on Sept 30th). Pay along the NB is the same as SB, 'locality pay' due to the cost of living will be the only difference. Check opm.gov and the federal pay tables for more info.
 

surf_kat

Member
May 28, 2010
58
SE AZ
surf_kat said:
[state corrections does count as LE experience. If you are a good writer, you can definitely articulate your experience to enter on duty as a GL-7 (the promotion to GL-9 will come automatically after 6 months of satisfactory performance). USAJOBS (http://www.usajobs.opm.gov) has the current vacancy announcement for the SW border (set to expire at 11:59 pm on Sept 30th). Pay along the NB is the same as SB, 'locality pay' due to the cost of living will be the only difference. Check opm.gov and the federal pay tables for more info.

Rofocowboy84 said:
Now I'm confused....at first you said that with one year of LE experience, you stand a good chance of getting G-9, but now you're saying if you convince them, you should be able to get G-7.....

Okay, here is the experience requirements for each level. I think a correctional officer with a year of experience should be able to come in as a GL-7, but they probably don't meet the requirements of a GL-9. A patrol officer/deputy may meet those GL-9 requirements (differences in the type of work). The applicant does have to show how they qualify at the grade level for which they have applied. Realize the personnel management people are not law enforcement, so it has to be spelled out to them in layman's terms.


Experience Requirements for a GL-5 level: Applicants must have a substantial background of work experience of which at least one year must have been comparable in level of difficulty and responsibility to grade GS-4 in the Federal service. This experience must have demonstrated the ability to do all three of the following:





1. Take charge, make sound decisions, and maintain composure in stressful situations;



2. Learn law enforcement regulations, methods and techniques through classroom training and/or on-the-job instruction;



3. Gather factual information through questioning, observation, and examination of documents and records.






Experience Requirements for a GL-7 level: Applicants must have one year of law enforcement experience comparable in level of difficulty and responsibility to GL-5 in the Federal service that demonstrated the ability to do all four of the following:





1. Make arrests and exercise sound judgment in the use of firearms;



2. Deal effectively with individuals or groups of persons in a courteous, tactful manner in connection with law enforcement matters;



3. Analyze information rapidly and make prompt decisions or take prompt and appropriate law enforcement action in light of applicable laws, court decisions and sound law enforcement matters;



4. Develop and maintain contact with a network of informants.






Experience Requirements for a GL-9 level: Applicants must have one year of law enforcement experience comparable in level of difficulty and responsibility to GL-7 in the Federal service that demonstrated the ability to do all eight of the following:





1. Develop cases, conduct interviews or interrogations, apprehensions, and arrests in order to further the process or cease development.



2. Prepare cases and appear as a professional witness in court.



3. Exercise sound judgment in the use of firearms and conduct training, qualification exercises, or courses in the proper care and use of firearms.



4. Deal effectively with individuals or groups of persons in a courteous and tactful manner in their detention, control or interrogation, and work to promote effective community outreach programs and public relations.



5. Analyze and disseminate intelligence information and data rapidly; and apply a practical knowledge of the laws, concepts, operational practices and law enforcement methods and techniques in order to independently perform duties typically encountered in law enforcement.



6. Develop and maintain contact with a network of informants, social and political organizations, state and local enforcement agencies, and private citizens, to ensure continuity of enforcement work and to carry out enforcement responsibilities.



7. Use a variety of law enforcement databases and information retrieval systems, such as TECS, NCIC, and NEXUS.



8. Prepare reports and write other documents that deal with the collection, protection, and recording of evidence, the presentation of testimony, and the retention of informational materials concerning illegal activities and practices encountered during daily activities.
 

Station 3

Member
May 21, 2010
3,395
Edinburg Texas
medic550 said:
Do they mandate you have to speak spanish to work for CBP

They send you to a basic spanish class which you must complete to become an agent. Pretty much teach you the danger words and such. Its not that hard i speak spanish.
 

Forum Statistics

Threads
54,246
Messages
450,881
Members
19,227
Latest member
covert

About Us

  • Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.