Boston Deputies express concern in Chief's leadership after bombings

HFD eng1ine

Jul 27, 2010
Essex County. MA

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
All I can say is I believe in the IC structure with that said.

No futher comment.

Don't need to start a flame war on this.

Everybody got their own opinon on the matter.

HFD eng1ine

Jul 27, 2010
Essex County. MA
chief1565 said:
All I can say is I believe in the IC structure with that said.
No futher comment.

Don't need to start a flame war on this.

Everybody got their own opinon on the matter.

Didnt say anything about starting a flame war but thanks..

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
HFD eng1ine said:
Didnt say anything about starting a flame war but thanks..

Right... but since none of us were there, have read the letter or have a good handle on what role Boston FD's chief should have played vs. did play, we are all just sitting around tossing conjecture back and forth... which in the past on most public safety boards has lead to flame war type arguments.

I don't think anyone here, or in the public for that matter, has enough info to intelligently discuss this at this time. I see where the reply was coming from being cautious about the post degrading.

FSEP

Nov 11, 2012
DE
so they're annoyed that the chief didn't assume command at an Ops level? Well thats a first for a deputy/assistent chief. They tend to like being on the top. None the less, without being able to listen to the radio traffic and knowing what happened outside the radios reach, I cant say much on it.

In refrence to your secound question, we dont face a "ghost" chief. He will only take command if he feels its nessasary, however he will stay with the IC for the most part to make sure things run smothly. Heck, he's allowed a firefighter to retain command at some scenes, but he'll be on your six.

boboloo

Jun 5, 2012
Kalamazoo, MI
When I read the article what first comes to mind is the "express concern" stems from a larger issue. Perhaps something has been on a slow boil on the department and only insiders know the full story.

Most of us have likely been in similar situations and the inside story is much more meatier than the media account. It would be difficult to form an opinion based on the article.

HFD eng1ine

Jul 27, 2010
Essex County. MA
JohnMarcson said:
Right... but since none of us were there, have read the letter or have a good handle on what role Boston FD's chief should have played vs. did play, we are all just sitting around tossing conjecture back and forth... which in the past on most public safety boards has lead to flame war type arguments.

I don't think anyone here, or in the public for that matter, has enough info to intelligently discuss this at this time. I see where the reply was coming from being cautious about the post degrading.

True. Alrighty forget it then.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
HFD eng1ine said:
True. Alrighty forget it then.

I don't mean that we shouldn't discuss it... I think we just need to keep in mind the potential of such a topic to go south fast.

Phoenix_Rising

Lifetime VIP Donor
Feb 27, 2012
Berks County PA
JohnMarcson said:
I don't mean that we shouldn't discuss it... I think we just need to keep in mind the potential of such a topic to go south fast.

+1 :thumbsup:

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
In the coming days maybe it will become more clear what role the Chief of this Dept is supposed to play and what role he did play. Unless we have a full picture of what his role specified role is in Boston ICS / MCI plans and a clear picture of his specific actions or lack there of at that specific incident incident and possibly others, we can only guess at reasons behind such a letter.

Another user then commented that they didn't want to start a flame war. That's just the community acknowledging that these situations where we have little info except the several line news report often end up in the ring. With little real substance released to debate, people turn to arguing existing Police vs. Fire vs. media vs. Chewbacca vs. Chevy type things. I'm fine with these things being posted, but these threads have no replies when people stick to discussing just the facts... so basically these threads are really boring or in the ring and really embarrassing. Let's make this one boring, at least until some real info is released to discuss.

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
JohnMarcson said:
Police vs. Fire vs. media vs. Chewbacca vs. Chevy

EMS, EMS, I get my news from here, Spock, yes.

:thumbsup:

That being said, If the chief did indeed skirt his duties it's shameful to the fire community. One major concern that should be on everyone's mind at a major incident (especially a terrorist incident) is just how much senior staff do you need physically on scene? We all remember the horrors of 9/11 and how many Chief level officers FDNY lost that day.

Phillyrube said:
The Commish is a retired Navy guy!!! Jus sayin'

Don't be hatin' on squids!

Phillyrube

May 21, 2010
Flatistan
foxtrot5 said:
EMS, EMS, I get my news from here, Spock, yes.

:thumbsup:

That being said, If the chief did indeed skirt his duties it's shameful to the fire community. One major concern that should be on everyone's mind at a major incident (especially a terrorist incident) is just how much senior staff do you need physically on scene? We all remember the horrors of 9/11 and how many Chief level officers FDNY lost that day.

Don't be hatin' on squids!

Not at all, I'm a retired Senior Chief...

I like what the Commish said...if it ain't broke, leave it alone.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ben E.

May 21, 2010
Iowa, USA
Sounds like the Commissioner is the type of guy that I would LOVE to work for (and have in the past).

1. He's notified of a major incident.

2. He responds.

3. He arrives on scene and makes contact with whoever's running the show at that point.

4. He observes that his men are doing fine job, makes a mental note that they are performing their duties to the best of their abilities.

5. He takes note of all the goings on and lets the scene commander command the scene without puffing his chest and telling everybody HE'S IN CHARGE NOW.

Sounds like exactly what he should have done. The worst commanders on the face of the planet are the ones that show up late, decide you're doing it wrong, tell you to move aside and proceed to f*** everything up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Phoenix_Rising

Lifetime VIP Donor
Feb 27, 2012
Berks County PA
@BostonGlobe: BREAKING NEWS: Boston Fire Chief Steven Abraira has resigned.

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
Chief Abraira had problems in Dallas as well. He stood up against the City Manager when she wanted to lay off fire fighters and park equipment, and she forced him out. He is a through the ranks Fire Fighter, not some white shirt test taker. While Chief of Dallas FD, I have personally seen him in turn out gear, respond to fires, major accidents, a shooting, and persons trapped in elevator call. All these were deep nights activity. He never assumed command, simply there as another fire fighter. One of the wrecks was a freeway major (very routine, nothings serious injury wise) at 2:30am. I was first on scene, and started throwing flares. Chief Abraira rolled up second in his Department vehicle, stopped at my vehicle and came to me and started capping and setting flares while the ambulance and engine handled the scene. He stayed on scene with me and patrol, even after we let the engine and truck go back to their house.

vc859

Oct 31, 2010
USA/ New York
It sounds like he was forced to resign because the Deputy Chief's weren't happy that an outsider was selected over them for chief and told him they wouldn't cooperate with him on anything.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ragnarok

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.