Brake light cut-off on Mastercom

PTRJason

Jul 25, 2010
Silverpeak, NV
I know this is a long shot. But one one of the sites, I think Sirennet they advertised the Mastercom as having 6 switches, one of the switches being a brake kill.

And before anyone starts, I don't want a debate on if you should or shouldn't have a kill switch or what can happen, keep it on topic.

I am wondering if all Mastercoms have that ability or not.

My reason is that the Mastercom in my unit has the last switch, Switch D, set up as the brake light / reverse light kill.

I have hooked up many of lights and sirens before, but never messed with the kill switch. So I do not know if it is just the version I have or if any switches can work that way.

What I want to do is maybe switch out the unit for a Whelen 295SLS*6, or a Unitrol Touchmaster Delta as I like their siren tones so much better, but I want to keep the kill option.

So if anyone knows about how the switches on the Mastercom work maybe you can tell me if it would be as simple as just hooking up everything the same on the new siren.

I have pulled my siren out a few times, but it's a pain in a tight area. I am just more curious now to see if anyone knows, if not one day I will try to take a test light to it and see what it reads.

Would I be able to hook up a 295SLS*6 or Delta the same?

PTRJason

Jul 25, 2010
Silverpeak, NV
I actually have the manuals for the Mastercom, Whelen, and Delta.

No help. Mastercoms says that Switch C can be set for NO or NC but just reads as if switch D is a regular switch.

I am also curious if I can do this with a SmartSiren as that is what I would really rather have.

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
Your best bet and I would suggest contacting a tech from each manufacturer and tell them what you want to do.

They should be able to tell you how to procede.

PTRJason

Jul 25, 2010
Silverpeak, NV
Never thought of that lol. Thanks. I may try to pull it out tomorrow on my day off and see what the test light shows.

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
You could invert the function of any button with a relay. Turning a NC switch into a NO or vice versa

Benno

Jul 17, 2011
Germany
PTRJason said:
...No help. Mastercoms says that Switch C can be set for NO or NC but just reads as if switch D is a regular switch... .
What Model number do your Mastercom have? I think it is a Model 3942L4/6.

The manual is mainly for the Model 3892, so it is a little bit different.

Is switch D momentary or has it also the timed output option?

PTRJason

Jul 25, 2010
Silverpeak, NV
I am not sure without pulling it out again. But I was reading up on the SS2000SM and output E is able to be set for NO or NC which is what I have been wanting anyway. I just never read that part when I owed one a few years ago.

But the mastercom in my unit has all push on and push off switches. I added a gun rack to my unit and bought a timer for it since it would be too much trouble to undo everything to pull the Mastercom out to open it to change the settings to momentary and activate the timer.

The way they wired it, I can only pull it out enough to access the back, but at a risk to maybe pulling a wire out accidentally.

I am going to try to look into getting a SS2000SM and maybe installing that.

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
Benno said:
What Model number do your Mastercom have? I think it is a Model 3942L4/6.
The manual is mainly for the Model 3892, so it is a little bit different.

Is switch D momentary or has it also the timed output option?

The PDF I posted covers the 3940 series and the "C" switch is considered the momentary switch.

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
PTRJason said:
I am not sure without pulling it out again. But I was reading up on the SS2000SM and output E is able to be set for NO or NC which is what I have been wanting anyway. I just never read that part when I owed one a few years ago.

But the mastercom in my unit has all push on and push off switches. I added a gun rack to my unit and bought a timer for it since it would be too much trouble to undo everything to pull the Mastercom out to open it to change the settings to momentary and activate the timer.

The way they wired it, I can only pull it out enough to access the back, but at a risk to maybe pulling a wire out accidentally.

I am going to try to look into getting a SS2000SM and maybe installing that.

You can make a momentary switch.

You open the unit up and which ever switch you want as momentary you push the spring back and pull out the little metal clip that makes it on/off and now it's a momentary switch. Go to page 10 of the PDF and it shows how to do it.

PTRJason

Jul 25, 2010
Silverpeak, NV
Yeah I saw that but to get the unit out of the console would be more trouble then it is work. I had a momentary switch from a secure idle that I used and drilled a small hole in a faceplate and ran some wires to power and ground. A lot easier then trying to get it hooked to the mastercom.

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
I've never had a problem.

Take the faceplate off.

Take off the 8 screws that hold the back and front plates on.

And slide it out. Makeing sure to feed mic cord through.

Last edited by a moderator:

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
Just thought you might like to know.

It took me about 15 mins. to take the Mastercom down and put nack together like I said in last post.

And by taking out the pin in the "D" switch I now have a 12v momentary switch to change mode in the Arjent I built.

PTRJason

Jul 25, 2010
Silverpeak, NV
It's easy. It's just the way it is mounted in my unit and installed. There is not really a lot of play in all the wires to be able to pull it out to access all of the connectors to undo them to safely remove the housing. If I pull it too much it may accidentally pull a wire loose.

It's just too tight to work with it being installed so it was just easier to mount a small momentary switch somewhere else.

When I also had it pulled out last time and tested the connectors for switch c. I was not getting any reading.

My timer came yesterday, so I may try to mess around with it a little more.

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
Yeah I tryed use "C" also no got had to change the "D" over to momentary.

I bought one of these of ebay Valet Alarm Push Button Momentary On | eBay

And installed it for changeing the patterns on my narrowsitk.

That thing is small comes with a good about of wire abot 71'' with that much you can just about mount it where ever you want to and a push button it takes a hole 17/64 .

Here's some pics..

IMG_0034.JPG

IMG_0035.JPG

IMG_0036.JPG

PTRJason

Jul 25, 2010
Silverpeak, NV
I already had a momentary switch that I cut off of an secure idle. However when I decided to hook up the gun lock timer, the connectors off of it broke.

So I was forced to pull radio, TA controller and Mastercom out of the console and try to hook it up that way.

I found that the brake light kill is hooked to a relay, which makes it a whole lot easier when and if I change to another system.

I put power to the Switch C common and got the terminal working I needed for normally open.

Then installed the timer and pulling the siren apart to switch to momentary was a pain but I got it apart enough to use a screwdriver and pull the clip out to make it momentary.

I also added a 3 outlet box for 12v and hard wired a magcharger charger then put it all back together.

It was a few hour operation because of the tight working space but I got it all hooked up.

Now just waiting on the AR rack to come in so I can splice those wires in and mount it.

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
PTRJason said:
I already had a momentary switch that I cut off of an secure idle. However when I decided to hook up the gun lock timer, the connectors off of it broke.

So I was forced to pull radio, TA controller and Mastercom out of the console and try to hook it up that way.

I found that the brake light kill is hooked to a relay, which makes it a whole lot easier when and if I change to another system.

I put power to the Switch C common and got the terminal working I needed for normally open.

Then installed the timer and pulling the siren apart to switch to momentary was a pain but I got it apart enough to use a screwdriver and pull the clip out to make it momentary.

I also added a 3 outlet box for 12v and hard wired a magcharger charger then put it all back together.

It was a few hour operation because of the tight working space but I got it all hooked up.

Now just waiting on the AR rack to come in so I can splice those wires in and mount it.

Glad to hear you got it working the way you wanted it to.

That "D" switch is the easiest to reach put in the situation you described sounds like it was a real PITA for you.

PTRJason

Jul 25, 2010
Silverpeak, NV
Well D was dedicated already to the brake light cut off. So C was what was needed for the gun lock so it was just far enough inboard to be a PITA.

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
PTRJason said:
Well D was dedicated already to the brake light cut off. So C was what was needed for the gun lock so it was just far enough inboard to be a PITA.

figuires.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StormChase85

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.