burban project idea

iwillits

Apr 9, 2011
grant county, IN
Im already changing out the rims an tires to american racing outlaws an putting a lil meatier tire on it. just wanting some input. Im in a blue courtesy light state keep in mind. clear strobes an leds are ok an wig wags but no red.

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
The VFD my dad was on when I was growing up has a red 3/4 Burb with the 6.5. They have a red mini Edge on it, a single green can strobe to the rear, and IIRC one of the Whelen deals on the push bar that has two rectangular strobes and a siren speaker in the middle.

It is gorgeous, and short of the can strobe, I recommend a similar setup. As much as I hate the blockyness (its a word now) of Edge bars, they look good on these trucks.

Otherwise you can't go wrong with a 48" MX7000, either. I had one on my 98 Silverado, it was meant to be!

iwillits

Apr 9, 2011
grant county, IN
yeah the dept. im on use to have a suburban with an edge on just not sure how this truck would look with leds. i kinda wanted to get away from strobe an rotator age.

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
iwillits said:
yeah the dept. im on use to have a suburban with an edge on just not sure how this truck would look with leds. i kinda wanted to get away from strobe an rotator age.

Well, if you insist on LEDs, then a Freedom (even a liberty) would still Look the Look, and Walk the Walk. Preferably with colored lenses. Id personally mount some 3x7 strobes (or LEDs) to the grille or something. Also HLF I do believe is a must if possible!

iwillits

Apr 9, 2011
grant county, IN

iwillits

Apr 9, 2011
grant county, IN
7d9_z28 said:
Well, if you insist on LEDs, then a Freedom (even a liberty) would still Look the Look, and Walk the Walk. Preferably with colored lenses. Id personally mount some 3x7 strobes (or LEDs) to the grille or something. Also HLF I do believe is a must if possible!

Ive got some whelen 508 strobes i could retrofit for the grille an a hlf already. you got me thinking what else now.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
iwillits said:
wonder what your guys thoughts are on lighting for my new to me 96 k2500 suburban?View attachment 51554

I really think u should stay with the strobe era on that suburban because it fits it well (a freedom looks a little awk on older vehicles IMHO). I'd go with an all blue edge (all strobes with a pair of blue halogens/flashers on wigwag and maybe a pair of amber flashers to the rear of the bar) and 2 pair of clear strobes in the headlights...I absolutely hate HAWs or LAWs in headlights with the exception of that generation chevy/gmc suburban (if you ever saw the movie US Marshalls, the green suburban they use has 4 clear HAWs up front like that, and it looks great). I wouldn't put any HAWs to the rear, because you'd only be able to use clear HAWs (which I'm against to the rear) or colored HAWs (which have significantly lower output and are not worth the investment), and because LAWs/LEDs are a different generation so they look a little peculiar to me. There's an abundance of used Edge lightbars and colored lenses out there, so you won't have a hard time finding a decent one or paying for it, and the edge will fit right in

The MX7000 is also an option...I used to drive a 96 suburban with an MX and it worked great (to this day, it's still one of C3's best all time innovations IMHO)

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
7d9_z28 said:
The VFD my dad was on when I was growing up has a red 3/4 Burb with the 6.5. They have a red mini Edge on it, a single green can strobe to the rear, and IIRC one of the Whelen deals on the push bar that has two rectangular strobes and a siren speaker in the middle.

It is gorgeous, and short of the can strobe, I recommend a similar setup. As much as I hate the blockyness (its a word now) of Edge bars, they look good on these trucks.

Otherwise you can't go wrong with a 48" MX7000, either. I had one on my 98 Silverado, it was meant to be!

I agree completely with the MX7K! That or a nice Freedom would fit perfectly!!

Everything else is ancillary, but the bar is a must!!!

rohmers

May 24, 2010
MA
i have a 96 tahoe and aside from it being shorter than yours is the same truck.

i have nothing but leds all around the truck and it looks great!

4 LAWs front (lower front facing parking light replaced with AWL burst and corner empty housing is perfect for LAW also)

4 LAWs rear all clear except the brake housings in red LED

brush gaurd with 24TD/WL in blue

36 TD/WL in blue in the windshield

Intersectors in clear under the mirrors (being installed this week)

2 dual talons in the rear barn doors on the top blue/red

two linear 4's under the barn doors split blue/red

Two flood lights mounted to the front bumper with 4000 lumen total.

two flood lights mounted under rear bumper with 4000 lumen total

Code3 Undercover siren 200watts dual speakers mounted underneath the engine on the front skid plate. perfect for sound projection

truck vault storage for weapons and gear

to be added:

Side steps and two pairs of LIN3's on those

Headlight Flasher

mechanical siren under hood in spare battery location

dual grover air horns under the body on either side of truck

compressor and tank mounted in trunk

larger 17 inch mud tires on newer style rims

a few notes:

you can not do tail light flasher on these trucks. tail light sockets are wired for smaller voltage

taillights can take either strobes or leds... i used leds instead of strobes for the fact that i wanted to let this truck lights run for hours on details and not kill the battery. i did the boston marathon for more than 8 hours and it started right up.

rohmers

May 24, 2010
MA
have you decided what to do with the truck?

I have a set of Mirror housings for these trucks if you want to go that route. they take any 500 series light. Right now I have two LR11s mounted in each one for of axis flood and spot. Each one has a TD and Alley mounted inside.

let me know if you want any pointers or anything...

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
RBRONKEMA GHTFD said:
I have period correct MX7k that would look great on your truck. Its a 58"

:goodpost: :iagree:

My name is Zapp and I approve this message!!

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
pdk9 said:
I wouldn't put any HAWs to the rear, because you'd only be able to use clear HAWs (which I'm against to the rear) or colored HAWs (which have significantly lower output and are not worth the investment)

What??? :confused: :confused: You can use HAWs in the rear in the red light area. Granted, he might not be able to due to no red, but, when allowed, they perform well in the red light area of the rear lights.

rohmers said:
you can not do tail light flasher on these trucks. tail light sockets are wired for smaller voltage

Again, What???? :confused: :confused: Yes, you can install a positive switched TLF in these vehicles. I have one in my 97 Yukon. Between this, the 4 HAWs on the corners, the HLF, and a Firebeam dashlight/throwlight, I'm well covered (and period correct I might add).

rohmers

May 24, 2010
MA
rwo978 said:
What??? :confused: :confused: You can use HAWs in the rear in the red light area. Granted, he might not be able to due to no red, but, when allowed, they perform well in the red light area of the rear lights.

Again, What???? :confused: :confused: Yes, you can install a positive switched TLF in these vehicles. I have one in my 97 Yukon. Between this, the 4 HAWs on the corners, the HLF, and a Firebeam dashlight/throwlight, I'm well covered (and period correct I might add).

which tail light flasher are you using. we tried some here and they kept blowing all the bulbs. called a local shop and they said that they could not flash. I would love a flasher for this truck

hitman38367

May 23, 2010
West Tennessee, USA
If you are looking for an all blue Edge bar, I have a surplus Edge from my town's now defunct PD that has been approved for sale if you are interested. I have cleaned it up and polished all the lenses as well as tested the lightheads and the bar works at 100%. Still has the wiring harness, and mounting feet too.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
rohmers said:
which tail light flasher are you using. we tried some here and they kept blowing all the bulbs. called a local shop and they said that they could not flash. I would love a flasher for this truck

It's an older, positive switched, non-solid state (relay) unit, Sound Off I believe, or at least a rebranded Galls model. It looks similar to the bottom or moreso upper right in this pic. It's been mounted for at least 9 years, no problems and no blown bulbs.

TailLight flashers.JPG

Shawn L

May 21, 2010
Corbett, Oregon
I have used many federal signal tail light flashers over the years on these vintage pickups and tahoes/ suburbans, the last one was my 1999 2 door Tahoe with a federal signal fa6, it was hooked to brake and backup lights , with haw strobes in the red tail light area, I have installed haw strobes in the clear back up light area, but its a tight fit, and I had to use old school " U" tubes to get it all to fit. and I ran the on a low wattage supply due to the small size of the buck up light area.

iwillits

Apr 9, 2011
grant county, IN
iwillits said:
okay i found this computer animated mod of a suburban similar to mine what do u guys think?

Ive started on making my suburban look like the one in video. Ive spent my weekend working on on the burban an my explorer. Im searching for a full size justice in blue for the burban. the burban has a whelen talon, a wig wag in the front already. i decided to add a four pack of strobes. now im deciding wat light sticks i want for the side and rear. My explorer got upgraded to a liberty lfl an tir3's video soon to come.

iwillits

Apr 9, 2011
grant county, IN
Suburban went bye bye back in feburary of 2014. Now I have a 93 Chevy 3500 extended cab with a 6.5 diesel along with a 96 Ford explorer awd and a 98 Chevy lumina

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
man i was really hoping this was gonna be something similar to ours so I could get more ideas. :)

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htamboli

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.