Buying a basic Liberty to upgrade later?

Solvarex

Jun 2, 2010
Canada
I've decided that I'd like a lightbar for the truck. The idea is to have four corner LEDs (and maybe a pair of inboards) and the rest will be high intensity LED takedowns, work lights, and alleys. The latter will see the most use.

Having just spent a quarter million on a house the lighting budget is pretty low right now. I was considering buying a basic Liberty with only the four corners right now and add the takedowns later. I'd probably need no more than four additional circuits for front, rear, and each alley. Is this something a basic Liberty would come wired for? Is this a good route to take or should I hold out and buy the bar fully loaded?

And on the subject of high intensity LED takedowns, has anyone used them as a supplement to high beams/driving lights? I'm wondering how they'd perform on a dark highway. Thanks guys.

cory y

May 21, 2010
quarter million CND? so what $30-40?

:duh: :razz:

lol i kid i kid

But libbies are usually set up with all the wiring for flashing lights, I dunno if they can support a ton of Steady burn lights

philyumpshus

Jun 20, 2010
Malone, NY
When I visited Whelen's factory in NH I checked out some of the employees' lightbars that were on their vehicles. The most interesting was a Liberty with 4 corner amber modules. It was a normal 48" bar, so it had space for 6 inboard modules. He had 4 of the high intensity takedowns and then a pair of LR11s with an amber module directly in the middle (like NYSP uses). It was HITD-HITD-LR11-LIN6-LR11-HITD-HITD. My "tour guide" said that they will build any bar as long as the engineers say it can handle the heat so it sounds like you could do the same thing as the bar I described.

grfd711

Jun 23, 2010
Sherwood, AR
philyumpshus said:
When I visited Whelen's factory in NH I checked out some of the employees' lightbars that were on their vehicles.

Did they happen to say if they get employee pricing, free factory imperfections, etc? I have always wondered, as I figured the guys who work there and vollie with some public safety probably take advantedge of some deal.

Solvarex

Jun 2, 2010
Canada
Thanks guys but I still don't have a good answer to my question. Can a Liberty be bought basic and upgraded later? Is that practical?

Oh and last time I checked, the Canadian dollar was worth more than the American! ;) hehe

mjw357

Jun 17, 2011
OHIO
Depends on the bar you buy. I would get with a Whelen dealer and tell them what you want. There is nothing complicated about adding steady-burn work lights, you just have to have enough cables running to control them individually.

If it were me, I would just save up and get it built how you want it, will cost less in the end.

philyumpshus

Jun 20, 2010
Malone, NY
grfd711 said:
Did they happen to say if they get employee pricing, free factory imperfections, etc? I have always wondered, as I figured the guys who work there and vollie with some public safety probably take advantedge of some deal.

I was told that they get a significant discount but I don't know about defective products. They have a crusher and shredder onsite for stuff that doesn't make the grade. :sadcry:

To the OP, sorry for getting a little of topic, I was responding more to Cory's post about having several steady-burn lights. I agree with just saving money and buying it all at once.

Retired1

Jun 1, 2010
Woodward County, OK
Using the ELB for sale listings, you can buy a used late model (passive) Liberty (they can be found in various stages of completion - from empty shells to fully loaded) and then buy the used modules of your choice to make it the way you want it. You can then sell any, if any, unused modules.

Your total investment will be about 66% less than a new one from a dealer.

Solvarex

Jun 2, 2010
Canada
Thanks guys. Here's the thing, I need a Duo Liberty (or at least one with Duo corners). Hard to find on the buy & sell here. ;) I also want to support my local dealer as he'll be more apt to help out if I have warranty issues.

I sure wish one of those $499 Freedoms that HPD84 sells fit the bill. What a steal!

G1159

May 23, 2010
Southern New England
Just as an aside, I live in the Valley Shore area of CT where the mothership is, and whenever I go into the surrounding towns, I have to close my eyes, the equipment on the volley vehicles around the mothership will make any of us have neck pain from checking out the minty new unique toys they take home from work. Truly, it's something to behold. Usually you can't shove another light head in any of the bars, etc. Brings new meaning to the term "fully populated"

factorone33

Jun 13, 2010
Merriam, KS
Solvarex said:
Thanks guys but I still don't have a good answer to my question. Can a Liberty be bought basic and upgraded later? Is that practical?

Oh and last time I checked, the Canadian dollar was worth more than the American! ;) hehe

Actually, I would suggest doing that instead of buying one loaded with what you want. It'll cost less up front, and will make it easier to set up things exactly how you want them. The Liberty I have on my truck was an amber demo bar with amber corners and two red LIN6s to the front and two to the rear that I got through work, and it now looks nothing like that bar used to be (all red to the front with LED takedowns, red corners to the rear, amber traffic advisor).

So yes, you can. Some people have parts out there that you can use to supplement what you have, and if you're not a hurry to get everything done, it makes it easier on your wallet. ;)

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gasman

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.