Buying empty Liberty shell

Solvarex

Jun 2, 2010
Canada
As I mentioned in another thread I'd like to get a Liberty for my truck. To buy the basic configuration I'm interested in though would be close to $1,500 retail, and I'm seeing fully populated used Freedoms on this board for a third that. I'm sure I can do much better but at the same time I want to support my local dealer.

My plan is now to buy an empty Liberty shell, if possible, and populate it as time and funds permit, with the options ordered through my local dealer. Since I plan to do a Duo configuration bar with far more LED takedowns than Whelen would dream of installing, I plan to run it all off a single ULF44 and an HHS2000 or Cencom with straight-through wiring so I don't even need an I/O board (which probably won't support what I want to do anyhow).

So my question is, is there anywhere I can buy a 54" Liberty frame with lens kit and nothing else in it?

TNFF412N

May 22, 2010
San Antonio, Texas
What are you looking to build ? You say install WAY more takedowns then Whelen would ever think of, how many are you thinking of. Whelen makes bars that probably have what you are thinking already. If im not mistaken Texas DPS liberties have 8 led takedowns. They made liberty bars for california highway patrol that used TIR3 which is not an option anywhere else.

http://www.elightbars.org/forums/f13/discovery-science-channel-how-its-made-lightbars-11487/index2.html

You can call your local dealer and he might be able to get you a shell, but you are going to spend a hell of a lot of money in the long run doing it the way you are. If you dont mind sharing with us what exactly are you looking for and how would you set it up ???

fire1

Jun 5, 2011
Michigan
Solvarex said:
As I mentioned in another thread I'd like to get a Liberty for my truck. To buy the basic configuration I'm interested in though would be close to $1,500 retail, and I'm seeing fully populated used Freedoms on this board for a third that. I'm sure I can do much better but at the same time I want to support my local dealer.

My plan is now to buy an empty Liberty shell, if possible, and populate it as time and funds permit, with the options ordered through my local dealer. Since I plan to do a Duo configuration bar with far more LED takedowns than Whelen would dream of installing, I plan to run it all off a single ULF44 and an HHS2000 or Cencom with straight-through wiring so I don't even need an I/O board (which probably won't support what I want to do anyhow).

So my question is, is there anywhere I can buy a 54" Liberty frame with lens kit and nothing else in it?

You say that you are going to make a duo bar. If you are talking about making it like the new duo bar from whelen. By buying parts from your dealer, plan on a huge bank loan. Yes the basic bar with 4 heads is about $1200.00, you can add up to 12 more heads at a cost of $240.00 - 350.00 per head new, For example you can find some used minimum intensity led take downs or alley lights for about $100.00 a set. for maximum intensity is around $250.00 per head new & I have yet to see any used. If you are making the duo tech bar you have to have the brain to change the color on the heads & have them flash, that would not be cheap & I do not think that a ULF44 will even flash the head. If I where you I would find a used bar ether a 9m or a liberty that is setup & just make minor changes to it. Good luck on your plans. If you ever get it done please post a video of it and tell us the cost.

Solvarex

Jun 2, 2010
Canada
Well I spoke to my dealer today and he dissuaded me from taking the route I was thinking of. I was unaware that there are two different prices for Liberty options; one for when you buy it IN the bar, and another (higher price) for buying them after the fact. He explained that when they order Liberties they order them fully populated all the time, and then strip heads out according to the customer's specs because they can save the lightheads for other bars or housings like a grille mount.

I'm not 100% on which configuration I want. It would be one of the following, with both front and rear the same:

LIN18 Duo / LR11 spacer mod / HITD / HITD / HITD / HITD / HITD / HITD / LR11 spacer mod / LIN18 Duo

or

LIN18 Duo / LR11 spacer mod / LIN12 Duo / HITD / HITD / HITD / HITD / LIN12 Duo / LR11 spacer mod / LIN18 Duo

As you can tell I'm more interested in white light than warning power. The end caps would also have LR11 alleys. My dealer figures I should go with an Edge and some Pioneers but I know what those cost, and HITDs are cheaper.

My dealer DOES have a nice 9M in all-clear that some whacker was told by the cops to remove, but that doesn't give me the option to change colors when needed. I'm not crazy about Freedom II split stacks either, I consider them wasted footprint. You also can't get HITDs in a full size Edge yet so that means halogen takedowns, and the amp draw is a problem if I have that many going.

Any advice here would be most appreciated!

fire1

Jun 5, 2011
Michigan
Solvarex said:
Well I spoke to my dealer today and he dissuaded me from taking the route I was thinking of. I was unaware that there are two different prices for Liberty options; one for when you buy it IN the bar, and another (higher price) for buying them after the fact. He explained that when they order Liberties they order them fully populated all the time, and then strip heads out according to the customer's specs because they can save the lightheads for other bars or housings like a grille mount.

I'm not 100% on which configuration I want. It would be one of the following, with both front and rear the same:

LIN18 Duo / LR11 spacer mod / HITD / HITD / HITD / HITD / HITD / HITD / LR11 spacer mod / LIN18 Duo

or

LIN18 Duo / LR11 spacer mod / LIN12 Duo / HITD / HITD / HITD / HITD / LIN12 Duo / LR11 spacer mod / LIN18 Duo

As you can tell I'm more interested in white light than warning power. The end caps would also have LR11 alleys. My dealer figures I should go with an Edge and some Pioneers but I know what those cost, and HITDs are cheaper.

My dealer DOES have a nice 9M in all-clear that some whacker was told by the cops to remove, but that doesn't give me the option to change colors when needed. I'm not crazy about Freedom II split stacks either, I consider them wasted footprint. You also can't get HITDs in a full size Edge yet so that means halogen takedowns, and the amp draw is a problem if I have that many going.

Guess I need to ask. Why do you need a DUO bar? Yes they do make led take downs & alleys for the 9M bar. Try talking to HPD84 on the leds or even a 9M bar.

Solvarex

Jun 2, 2010
Canada
Because blocking a roadway doesn't require red lighting, and emergency response does. Most of my other lighting is configured the same (Axixtech dual color lights).

fire1

Jun 5, 2011
Michigan
Solvarex said:

or

I would stay with a 9M and use theses. They will fit inside the bar. Strobes N' More

Solvarex

Jun 2, 2010
Canada
A strobe bar doesn't help me with Duo corners, but thanks for the heads up on the 700 scenelight. I wonder how it would perform without that lens.

fire1

Jun 5, 2011
Michigan
Solvarex said:
A strobe bar doesn't help me with Duo corners, but thanks for the heads up on the 700 scenelight. I wonder how it would perform without that lens.

Should perform fine that is a non optic lens

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesseclark2448

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.