Buying radios for rental

DJIceman97

Dec 22, 2012
Northeast Kentucky
I'm looking to purchase some radios to get into the radio rental business for my live production company.  Probably buying up to 30 radios for our uses as well as to rent out for events.  Been stuck on the Kenwood TK-2312 (possibly TK-2302) and have priced them out locally but the prices don't really fit well.  Are there any other options to purchase or can anyone recommend me a dealer to talk to?   Also, any advice on radio rental would be appreciated.  I will be purchasing itinerant licenses for the radio's use.  Thanks

Nathan R

Lifetime VIP Donor
Mar 27, 2014
USA
I have relocated this to the general discussion topic. If you are soliciting a sale of items, please let us know and this will be moved to the appropriate Wanted section.

buddek09

Aug 15, 2012
US, Ohio
I did not post it here because I also sent him some pricing. I recommended looking at the Hytera PD502 & PD562 since they are around the same price as the TK-2312 & TK-2302 but are thinner, lighter, and are digital instead of analog. Digital has a little more range and the audio sounds better. I also recommended possibly getting UHF vs VHF since UHF has better coverage around objects.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
Digital has a little more range and the audio sounds better.
Not necessarily. The newest and best isn't alwas necessarily the best. I'd honestly prefer analog, at least in a Public Safety setting. With digital, the signal is either there or it's not. In the old days, you could call out and at least squelch that you needed help in an emergency situation. Now, if you're in a dead zone, bupkiss. And the audio in digital sounds tinnier.

I also recommended possibly getting UHF vs VHF since UHF has better coverage around objects.
I will agree with this, UHF works better in urban settings, penetrates better. VHF, however, is better over distances. It all depends on the environment the radios will be used in.

Reactions: Jarred J.

ckgarside

Jul 9, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Make sure to purchase lots of spare parts or consider some drops and spills protection. You can never underestimate a production crew's ability to break them.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gasman

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.