By Popular Demand: 2011 Stolz Telecomm Demo Charger Wiring Pics

factorone33

Jun 13, 2010
Merriam, KS
Some of you have been requesting hi-res shots of the trunk tray that had the most immaculate wiring I've ever seen, so I've decided to post a few shots here for everyone to look at, and make it easier for me to share this stuff.

This is not my work, but rather the work of the individuals at Stolz Telecommunications in Oklahoma City. It's a CanTrol system with a ChargeGuard and Howler on the top tray, and an EF Johnson 700/800 radio and Kenwood radio on the bottom tray (trunk tray is made by Havis).

[Broken External Image]:http://www.buschandassociates.com/photo/hi-res/stolz/stolz-comm01.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://www.buschandassociates.com/photo/hi-res/stolz/stolz-comm02.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://www.buschandassociates.com/photo/hi-res/stolz/stolz-comm03.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://www.buschandassociates.com/photo/hi-res/stolz/stolz-comm04.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://www.buschandassociates.com/photo/hi-res/stolz/stolz-comm05.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://www.buschandassociates.com/photo/hi-res/stolz/stolz-comm06.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://www.buschandassociates.com/photo/hi-res/stolz/stolz-comm07.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://www.buschandassociates.com/photo/hi-res/stolz/stolz-comm08.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://www.buschandassociates.com/photo/hi-res/stolz/stolz-comm09.jpg

Honestly, this is probably the most immaculate wiring job I've ever seen. Sure, I wouldn't put it on an in-service vehicle due to reasons of impracticality; I'd probably use the tray for something else, mount the electrical equipment elsewhere, out of the way of moisture and whatnot, but this is great for demoing your wiring capabilities.

fleetcomm

Sep 2, 2011
south of nowhere
kenton1979 said:
It brings a tear to the eye. Ageed, not practical but definitely sexy.

Ditto. It looks great but, would not work in everday use on patrol.

Are you kidding, that’s valuable real estate back there. Especially in a Charger, if compared to a crown vic trunk. Those trays cut trunk space nearly in half, good if you put gear on them, bad if you have wires on them. The wiring is great and i would love to see that in any car but it couldn’t take up that much room.

J

jrw14493

The thing that concerns me is the banjo-tight wiring and use of extra zip ties. Yes, I agree it looks beautiful but you run the risk of damaging cables (radio control head cables) with sharp bend radius-es and squeezing of zip ties. Also, how much time is invested here? Is it worth the return?

Looks beautiful and I wish I could pull something like this off but doesn't seem cost effective.

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
I agree, its nice looking and detailed, but not good for active duty. Way to complex, and too much to get snagged, bumped, or broken. It looks as good as any Wheeled Coach or AEV ambulance!

Anyone else trying to figure out what happend to the simple squad cars? Effective with a siren, 6 rocker switch box, light bar, deck lights, radio, maybe an arrow controler, and the MDT was the most complicated thing in the car?

May 24, 2010
PG County, MD
jrw14493 said:
The thing that concerns me is the banjo-tight wiring and use of extra zip ties. Yes, I agree it looks beautiful but you run the risk of damaging cables (radio control head cables) with sharp bend radius-es and squeezing of zip ties. Also, how much time is invested here? Is it worth the return?

Looks beautiful and I wish I could pull something like this off but doesn't seem cost effective.

I don't see anything pulled excessively (banjo) tight, and I don't see anything over radiused with any of the cables as well. There appears to be plenty of service loop in the cables from the vehicle to the drawers, nice work.

Have you ever seen the wiring done by any of the ambulance companies? Looks exactly the same, nice neat, orderly and labeled, with judicious use of terminal blocks, tie wraps, and cable tie downs.

Good example of what can be done, is it practical for an in service unit? Depends? Is it practical to do? that also depends, are you doing 1 or 2 or are you doing 10 or more? 10 or more, I could see having the shelves pre wired before installed and the light, control, and radio cables ran to the trunk.

Is it using valuable realestate? Yep.

murphyslaw

Jun 24, 2010
South Central Alaska
Such a nice looking rig to be spoiled by the use or nylon tie wraps. Does no one remember the days of 9cord? That is all I am allowed to use at work. Tie wraps are for temporary forming only. Then each one is replaced one at a time with lacing cord. Looks much better.

I feel that com cable from the radio is a bit tight. I live in a world of 2" bend radius.

They should know as I do. I am a central office technician with a telcom company. And live by the Telecordia standards. And apply them to all of my wiring, even vehicle based.

factorone33

Jun 13, 2010
Merriam, KS
Again, guys and ladies, this is a demo vehicle only. I also don't think it's practical from a patrol standpoint (why use up that room for wiring when it's better put to use storing all the crap that LEOs use today?), but if it sells the jobs these guys wanna do, then by all means, go for it.

Concerning the antenna cable, I've always been a believer in keeping a judicious amount of space for a larger radius when possible, however as long as the shielding and center conductor aren't compromised, I don't see a problem with a static 90-degree bend. In the end, if it isn't moving back-and-forth on a repeated basis to where it could create a point of fatigue, then it really isn't hurting anything.

But I'm not saying 1" or 2" radius minimums aren't a good idea.

fleetcomm

Sep 2, 2011
south of nowhere
The work that it took to do this is amazing and time consuming it also took many hours or even days to progam just the CanTrol for this car and days to run the wiring or install other eqptment. The individual or individuals that did the work did a tremdious job. The amount of work and the price tag to do it is out of most departments price range and even fewer would spend the money if they had it. I can say that in everyday use the officer that uses thier car will put leg irons, coat hanger, lockjocks and other metal items in the trunk and if one of these items come in contact while power is being supplied to the system it will blow fuses and or shut down the circuits in the CanTrol and maybe damage to other components. I know our officer have thier trunks full of equipment to do thier job , real estate is at a premium in the trunk and everywhere else in our cars and I also know that murphy is alive and well and I know he has paid all of us a visit. This is a demo car to show what the whelen CanTrol, led lights and other equipment this distributor sells is capible of doing and they have done excellent work. Great work guys! I'd give it two thumbs up!

factorone33

Jun 13, 2010
Merriam, KS
fleetcomm said:
The work that it took to do this is amazing and time consuming it also took many hours or even days to progam just the CanTrol for this car and days to run the wiring or install other eqptment. The individual or individuals that did the work did a tremdious job. The amount of work and the price tag to do it is out of most departments price range and even fewer would spend the money if they had it. I can say that in everyday use the officer that uses thier car will put leg irons, coat hanger, lockjocks and other metal items in the trunk and if one of these items come in contact while power is being supplied to the system it will blow fuses and or shut down the circuits in the CanTrol and maybe damage to other components. I know our officer have thier trunks full of equipment to do thier job , real estate is at a premium in the trunk and everywhere else in our cars and I also know that murphy is alive and well and I know he has paid all of us a visit. This is a demo car to show what the whelen CanTrol, led lights and other equipment this distributor sells is capible of doing and they have done excellent work. Great work guys! I'd give it two thumbs up!

Actually, programming CanTrol doesn't take that long. Rather, it's figuring out HOW to program the damn thing that takes forever.

Seriously, the learning curve for the software is pretty steep.

fleetcomm

Sep 2, 2011
south of nowhere
factorone33 said:
Actually, programming CanTrol doesn't take that long. Rather, it's figuring out HOW to program the damn thing that takes forever.

Seriously, the learning curve for the software is pretty steep.

I know the learning curve is tough b/c I went to school on it last week and have a liberty duo and CanTrol on order for a car I ordered, I don't think the car will be here untill feb.

Hoff

Aug 2, 2011
SW Ohio/US
HILO said:
Anyone else trying to figure out what happend to the simple squad cars? Effective with a siren, 6 rocker switch box, light bar, deck lights, radio, maybe an arrow controler, and the MDT was the most complicated thing in the car?

HILO has a good point here. I don't have jack in our cars and it's kinda nice. We have two old 3 VCons that run to Excaliburs. What's the point of a slide switch when all they do is just turn on more rotators? With those bars why not just make it all or nothing as just having two lights going just seems a little awkward. Just seems like with all the stuff out there and if you aren't running a Liberty Trio, do you really need that much more complication from the end user standpoint?

factorone33

Jun 13, 2010
Merriam, KS
Hoff said:
HILO has a good point here. I don't have jack in our cars and it's kinda nice. We have two old 3 VCons that run to Excaliburs. What's the point of a slide switch when all they do is just turn on more rotators? With those bars why not just make it all or nothing as just having two lights going just seems a little awkward. Just seems like with all the stuff out there and if you aren't running a Liberty Trio, do you really need that much more complication from the end user standpoint?

We did an install on a Tahoe just this last week that used a Havis 7-switch panel for individual control of lights. The slide switch concept was developed mainly for pursuit purposes (switching on the fly without having to hit 10 different buttons). I realize that a master switch also serves this purpose, but law enforcement also likes to separate "front" and "rear" lighting at times (especially with LEDs or strobes), and the slide switch concept makes this possible (0 Off/1 Rear/2 Front/3 Everything).

The Trio in my opinion is a bit overkill, and really isn't justifiable beyond what the Duo bars can do (do you really need two colors of warning around the entire bar?).

CanTrol, however is one system I will always support because of the potential for certain applications that it is just begging to be used for (DUI check lanes, neighborhood patrols, etc.). On our demo vehicle, we have it setup to where when you open the driver's door, the corners and alley light on the Liberty shut off, regardless of what state it is in, until the door closes. We also have a button with 8 different "states" on it that allow us to flash the entire right side of the vehicle, or the entire left side, and have the other side either dark, or steady burn (with the white on the light bar), which would work well on DUI stops, check lanes, etc.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
I understand you could use the better part of a day doing this for all the functions, but........

video??? :thumbsup:

May 24, 2010
PG County, MD
murphyslaw said:
Such a nice looking rig to be spoiled by the use or nylon tie wraps. Does no one remember the days of 9cord? That is all I am allowed to use at work. Tie wraps are for temporary forming only. Then each one is replaced one at a time with lacing cord. Looks much better.

I feel that com cable from the radio is a bit tight. I live in a world of 2" bend radius.

They should know as I do. I am a central office technician with a telcom company. And live by the Telecordia standards. And apply them to all of my wiring, even vehicle based.

Telcordia standards have no business in an automotive environment, while they are good standards for telecom (I worked in telecom 13+ years), they require hard tiepoints to be effective, and they require those tiepoints to be at designated distances. Not really something you can rely on in a vehicle, hence the use of zip ties. Next time you get a chance, look at a factory install of the electronics in an ambulance and see how many zip ties or cable tie downs are used (it will look pretty much the same as above).

factorone33

Jun 13, 2010
Merriam, KS
SlickTop Solutions said:
Telcordia standards have no business in an automotive environment, while they are good standards for telecom (I worked in telecom 13+ years), they require hard tiepoints to be effective, and they require those tiepoints to be at designated distances. Not really something you can rely on in a vehicle, hence the use of zip ties. Next time you get a chance, look at a factory install of the electronics in an ambulance and see how many zip ties or cable tie downs are used (it will look pretty much the same as above).

Agreed. I believe there are standards to which we can adhere to for automotive applications that are better suited than what one would use in a fixed sitting.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
25CK117

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.