CAL FIRE Firefighter passes after San Diego wildfires

Captain4164

May 3, 2012
California
I am saddened to report that Fresno-Kings Unit Firefighter II Roger Gonzales was found deceased in his home this morning after returning from fighting the San Diego complex fires. My thoughts and prayers are with his family and his crew as they grieve this tragic loss.

Fresno Kings acting Unit Chief Mark Johnson is in communication with me as he, Southern Region leadership, and CAL FIRE Firefighters Local 2881 work to get the family all the support they will need in the wake of this tragedy. Direction on the lowering of flags and shrouding of badges will be forthcoming and I will share details on services once they become available.

One of the best ways we can honor the memory of Firefighter Gonzales is to stay focused on protecting the people, property and natural resources of California with courageous resolve just has he did during the recent fires in San Diego county.

flagmast.gif

LeAnn Jones

May 22, 2014
Arkansas
:( Roger is my cousin. I am the oldest grandchild in the family and 7 years later he came bouncing along. My Aunt Charlotte and Uncle Nick (his parents) are taking it very hard. Roger was their only son. I always asked him if he was ever going to have any kids and he always said no. I think he knew the dangers of his job were too great to risk leaving behind a little one of his own. We've texted pictures back and forth of our fire vehicles and gory stuff. I am a volunteer firefighter in a small rural area of Arkansas and he always told me that it didn't matter if you were paid or not, a fire is a fire, it has to be put out and people have to be protected. But I cannot even imagine doing what he did or seeing some of the things that he has. He was truly an amazing man and fellow firefighter. I will always miss him. RIP little cousin.

roger 2.jpg

Wigwam700

May 25, 2011
New York Adirondacks US
LeAnn Jones said:
:( Roger is my cousin. I am the oldest grandchild in the family and 7 years later he came bouncing along. My Aunt Charlotte and Uncle Nick (his parents) are taking it very hard. Roger was their only son. I always asked him if he was ever going to have any kids and he always said no. I think he knew the dangers of his job were too great to risk leaving behind a little one of his own. We've texted pictures back and forth of our fire vehicles and gory stuff. I am a volunteer firefighter in a small rural area of Arkansas and he always told me that it didn't matter if you were paid or not, a fire is a fire, it has to be put out and people have to be protected. But I cannot even imagine doing what he did or seeing some of the things that he has. He was truly an amazing man and fellow firefighter. I will always miss him. RIP little cousin.

View attachment 74638

Sorry for your loss!! :(

Wigwam700

May 25, 2011
New York Adirondacks US
Captain4164 said:
I live in Visalia, less than an hour south of Fresno, and work for CAL FIRE as well.

I saw him on the strike team in base camp, we were on the same fire, just a shock.

sorry for your loss

Be safe my friend, you are certainly in harms way with what you do! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New in state!

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.