California/CA Flash Patterns

liltum56

Apr 28, 2018
Honolulu
What is the difference between a California flash pattern (CA flash pattern) vs a “regular” flash pattern? Like what’s the difference between a CA Signal Alert vs Signal Alert, CA Double Flash vs Double Flash, and so forth?

TDC

Lifetime VIP Donor
Dec 4, 2012
Carswell AFB, TX
In the Whelen software, nothing. "CA Name" and "Name" are the same.

CA Signal Alert in Whelen Command is the same as Signal Alert; if you are programming for CA it just denotes what is allowed in California.
The siren functions will drill down to specific authorizations, like Title 13 and ECE for convenience, but the flash patterns list everything.

CT Bar is in there, too, and I believe you can get other locations ... I want to say Hawaii is one.

CD3

May 25, 2010
USA, CA
California still has Title 13 on the books, but rumor has it they are moving towards the SAE patterns. Still untill this becomes LAW Title 13 for all law enforcement, fire and EMS must adhere to California T-13. The flash patterns marked CA, are similar to regular flash patterns but the rate of flash, is the key. We also must have a stead forward facing red light. I will say MANY distributors building these units do not care about title 13. This law only comes into affect when the emergency vehicle is involved in a crash and is inspected by the California Highway Patrol, it is then they inspect all aspects of the emergency vehicle, Siren tone, siren Db, location of the siren speaker, and of course the lighting.

TDC

Lifetime VIP Donor
Dec 4, 2012
Carswell AFB, TX
I just assumed it was as in Whelen Command (Carbide; Cantrol, etc) because the way the question is written is exactly the way it is listed in that programming.
In that case, there is no difference.
If there were a "CA FlimFlam" listed, you could use that in California; but there isn't.

liltum56

Apr 28, 2018
Honolulu
In general I understand Title 13 regarding red forward facing steady burn and only certain flash patterns within the flash rate speed. So basically what everyone is saying is that the only reason something is labeled “CA flash pattern” is to make it dummy proof so it can be legally used in CA and that there aren’t any difference between, say, standard “Signal Alert” vs “CA Signal Alert”??

I dunno if it’s just me but when I use the WeCan Command and compare CA double flash with double flash of the same speed, they seem every so slightly different.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
The designation simply means it is confirmed to be compliant for use in California. I can't tell the difference between California signal alert and regular signal alert, but that doesn't mean there isn't a slight difference. The idea is making the products easier to use when following the constraints of California. It is possible that some of these patterned and tones are simply the same thing as the non-California version but designated as compliant for ease of use; That has been my impression just based on viewing them, but I suppose there is a chance that there is some slight difference.

SEPD_52

Dec 24, 2014
Illinois
there aren’t any difference between, say, standard “Signal Alert” vs “CA Signal Alert”??
I've always wondered the same thing. I've set a pair of dual Avengers with the same phase where one was set to SignalAlert75 and the other CASignalAlert and they stayed in sync for a while so I'd be willing to bet thesr patterns are the same.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I've always wondered the same thing. I've set a pair of dual Avengers with the same phase where one was set to SignalAlert75 and the other CASignalAlert and they stayed in sync for a while so I'd be willing to bet thesr patterns are the same.
I'm going to say that this nomenclature is a little bit of both in the sense that all patterns that are California compliant are labeled as such, whether they are duplicates or not. That would mean some patterns would be different when noted as California compliant and some would simply be the same pattern but noted as California compliant. The last core system I set up had more patterns and tones than I remember ever seeing before. Just for fun I used California signal alert for one vehicle and signal alert for the other. I was never able to tell a difference, but again, it could be very slight or it could just be labeling repetition for the ease of installation

scarittagle

Jul 30, 2023
Tampa, FL
here's what I have found in T-13 regarding flash rate:

(a) Flash Rate. Flashing warning lamps, other than gaseous discharge lamps, shall operate at a rate of 60 to 120 flashes per minute, with a 40 to 60 percent on-time under all operating conditions. The time between the end of one flash and the beginning of the following flash for a gaseous discharge lamp shall not exceed 0.85 seconds, which corresponds to a minimum of 70 flashes per minute. Flashes having a light output less than the required minimum shall not be counted in reporting flash rate. Light pulses having a light output less than the required minimum shall not be included in the on-time.

It does seems like Signal Alert 75 and CA Signal Alert would be the same since they are within the rate T-13 requires.

scarittagle

Jul 30, 2023
Tampa, FL
Also,

with a 40 to 60 percent on-time under all operating conditions.

This might suggest that even the pattern is within the flash rate requirements, if the LED on time is not sufficient with in a minute then it will still not be considered compliant to T-13. That might explain why some of the flash patterns have half the head steady burn and half the head flashing.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
W2CK

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.