California compliant Whelen crossbar

Aug 13, 2021
CT
I'm curious if any old school Whelen gurus have an idea of how to set up a Crossbar to be California compliant using 70s era accessories from Whelen and others or have examples and/or photos.

Reactions: kitn1mcc

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
I'd suggest this lower bar with your appropriate colors. Replace driver side front PAR46 strobe bulb with steady burn PAR46 4001 sealed beam. That should meet the requirements.

Attachments

• S6306140.JPG
    S6306140.JPG
    103.8 KB · Views: 23
Reactions: RS485

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Whelen didn't have any specific way they made their crossbars CA spec. But, you could put anything you wanted on them, so the most common was a par 46 red to the front on the driver side and amber to to the rear on one or both sides. Many CA Whelen crossbars don't even use Whelen parts for the CA portion. Often a standard 2 strobe with center speaker bar had Unity or other company's equipment installed. Early Whelen crossbars used aftermarket takedowns and alleys, even when ordered from Whelen. I wasn't until the "enclosed crossbars" that an actual specific "C" model was offered. That just involved swapping the inboard lamps for incandescent par46 bulbs under red and amber cutouts or red and amber bulbs under clear cutouts/domes.

If you want to stay 100% Whelen with your project you could put par46 incandescent bulbs in a cast Whelen housing if you want. As far as historical accuracy for a crossbar an aftermarket set of red and amber par46 would be just as period correct.

Reactions: stansdds

Aug 13, 2021
CT
I feel like some of my threads may have compelled the making of this video.

I am a fan of California compliant Edge's, due to my liking of the steady red light and being from CT I've seen the same old boring Edge stuff on emergency vehicles. I expecially enjoy Edges with solid red and blue both sides.

My ideal Edge setup for a J-tube or turbo tube bar, would be standard red corner and inner strobes on drivers side. with a red steady Cal light, with passenger running blue inner and corner strobes and either a steady blue or flashing blue halogen center I'll either keep blank or run white halogen takedowns. rear is stand red strobe on driver side and blue passenger with duel flashing ambers.

Reactions: stansdds

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I feel like some of my threads may have compelled the making of this video.

I am a fan of California compliant Edge's, due to my liking of the steady red light and being from CT I've seen the same old boring Edge stuff on emergency vehicles. I expecially enjoy Edges with solid red and blue both sides.

My ideal Edge setup for a J-tube or turbo tube bar, would be standard red corner and inner strobes on drivers side. with a red steady Cal light, with passenger running blue inner and corner strobes and either a steady blue or flashing blue halogen center I'll either keep blank or run white halogen takedowns. rear is stand red strobe on driver side and blue passenger with duel flashing ambers.
It caused me to add the crossbar part..... lol

Aug 13, 2021
CT
It caused me to add the crossbar part..... lol
For a Crossbar I think I would do duel 88 series or 99 series beacons (depending on the year) with a red forward facing Unity spotlight and a rear flashing either on the bar, or in the rear window. In the center I would go with Federal CP-25 just b/c it's my favorite chrome speaker.

Reactions: JohnMarcson

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
For a Crossbar I think I would do duel 88 series or 99 series beacons (depending on the year) with a red forward facing Unity spotlight and a rear flashing either on the bar, or in the rear window. In the center I would go with Federal CP-25 just b/c it's my favorite chrome speaker.
First, I want to replace the PAR36 strobe in a 5250 with a red steady, but I also want a factory spec not altered 5250 too, so there's that... maybe one of each on a cross bar? Maybe two altered ones ona crossbar, one front red one rear amber? Split dome? I have a PAR36 Whelen internal bulb holder.....

dontgottabestba.jpg

I would add a speaker to this one
cali 52 2.png

Maybe just solid red for the beacon, and I kind of like the idea of an off center smaller speaker between the blue PAR and the beacon.
cali 52 1.png

With the older bars... well the dual sided PAR46 holders are intriguing...
ca cb 2.png

Give me a crossbar and some PAR46 holders and I'd change my mind 20 times before it was built.

Aug 13, 2021
CT
First, I want to replace the PAR36 strobe in a 5250 with a red steady, but I also want a factory spec not altered 5250 too, so there's that... maybe one of each on a cross bar? Maybe two altered ones on a crossbar, one front red one rear amber? Split dome? I have a PAR36 Whelen internal bulb holder.....

View attachment 247245

I would add a speaker to this one
View attachment 247246

Maybe just solid red for the beacon, and I kind of like the idea of an off center smaller speaker between the blue PAR and the beacon.
View attachment 247247

With the older bars... well the dual sided PAR46 holders are intriguing...
View attachment 247248

Give me a crossbar and some PAR46 holders and I'd change my mind 20 times before it was built.

Never seen old school pre Edge strobes in action, so I don't know how effective they were depending on era and model. The one advantage to them for sure is how efficient they operated compared to sealed beams.

My local PD from my research began using crossbars in 1972 and they were senior blue senior strobes. Wonder how much impact they made compared to the Federal 184s and such that was used on the previous model cars.

have to admit I'm a big time 99 series fan, it may be my favorite all time beacon of any era.

I think one setup I would consider for an 80s era bar would be that 5200 with the stead red in it and a 99 series on the passenger side and a speaker in the center. Expecially if there was a real 5200-C model I thought I saw advertised on here once. Another option would be duel 33h's on both sides a 5200-C in the center and a speaker in between on driver side.

That's what makes 70s and 80s Whelen so much fun. They had everything from Strobes to sealed beam to Halogen and you can mix them all up however you like it.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gasman

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.