Calling all K9 Officers, or K9 Supervisors

thowle

Mar 8, 2011
United States of America
Guys and Gals,

I'm trying to find out who all here is a K9 Handler LEO, or K9 Division Supervisor, or otherwise a "management" higher-up within a department that currently has, or is developing a K9 Division -- primarily for the purpose of information gathering, and the potential to assist in beta testing some training and deployment management tools I'm developing.

More information to come.

PJD642

May 20, 2010
east of Cleveland
I'll throw my name in the ring. Got a black lab that does narcotics & tracking, but no bite work.

I'm also the one that got the unit off the ground, "attempted" to educate the Chief on case law re: K-9 usage, etc. What are you working on - software for scheduling, records & documentation, etc?

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
I do k9 Search and Rescue, most dogs are also police k9's.

TCO

May 21, 2010
Malvern,Pa
i work with a guy that runs the pa k9 assistance foundation that works with k9 units all across Pa ,send me a email and i will forward the contact info

FreshDave04

Jun 30, 2010
Elkhart, IN
I actively train with K-9 (although I'm not a handler) and am friends with the head trainer of the SBPD K-9 division. He also trains SEVERAL local jurisdictions... has worked with the FBI, Secret Service (we get more Presidential visits here than most of the country), Indiana State Police, etc. He's a shift commander. If you have questions about supervising, setting up a K-9 Unit, maintaining, training, etc - he'd be a good guy to talk to. He trained my German Shepard.

Midwest K-9 Training

Here's Jeff's background:

Jeff, Midwest K9 Training Owner/President, has extensive training and handling experience with dogs. Contact us to see how that experience can benefit you and your canine companion!
  • South Bend (IN) Police Department, Police Officer (Appointed January 9th, 1991).
  • Selected as K9 handler, April 1994-present.
  • K9 Unit training coordinator April 1996-present.
  • Promoted to the rank of Sergeant April 28, 1999.
  • Promoted to rank of Lieutenant September 14, 2005.
  • Promoted to rank of Captain January 2008.
  • Current duties include the organization, administration and supervision of entire shift of 50+/- officers and overseeing K9 unit supervisors..
  • Responsible for the testing and selection of all canines purchased by the South Bend Police Department. This has afforded the opportunity to evaluate hundreds of potential working dogs.
  • Primary trainer for the initial training of fifteen department canines which included a ten week training course. This covered obedience, tracking, area search, article search and protection.
  • Involved in over 1000 K9 deployments with over 200 resulting in apprehensions.
  • Member of Dogs Against Drugs/Dogs Against Crime, Indiana Police Work Dog Association and American Work Dog Association since September 1999.
  • 80 hrs. under the direct supervision of Sgt. Donn Yarnall (Los Angeles Police Department K9 Training Coordinator-retired) which included instruction in the use of the electronic collar, protection, control and obedience.
  • Certified instructor through the Indiana Law Enforcement Academy (2001).
  • Certified Police K9 training instructor through Oakland Community College (MI)/Oakland Police Academy (May 2000) 80hrs.
  • Certified Explosives/Narcotics Odor Imprintation Trainer's Course (June 2003) through Von Liche Kennels, Denver, IN. 80hrs.
  • Certified K9 Decoy/K9 Behavior Course through Guardian K9, Inc. (May 2007) 40hrs.
  • Assisted U. S. Secret Service with explosives searches on two Vice-Presidential and five Presidential security details.

nd.jpg

af1.jpg

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gasman

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.