Can I use multiple cigarette plug lights without compromising the brightness?

airflores

Mar 28, 2024
Houston, TX
I’m trying to put two Whelen spitfire ions on the rear deck of my car (2018 ford fusion), however the website says their voltage is 12 VDC each, which combined would be 24 volts running out of a 12 V cigarette plug outlet. Would this compromise their brightness at all, and if so, by how much?

May 21, 2010
Minnesota
They run on a 12 volt system, your vehicle is 12 volts. You do not add voltage for connected items. I believe you are confusing with wattage/amps. You would need to make sure you are not exceeding the amp rating of a plug but those 2 lightheads are low enough draw that it would not be an issue.

Reactions: cabunty

airflores

Mar 28, 2024
Houston, TX
They run on a 12 volt system, your vehicle is 12 volts. You do not add voltage for connected items. I believe you are confusing with wattage/amps. You would need to make sure you are not exceeding the amp rating of a plug but those 2 lightheads are low enough draw that it would not be an issue.
Do you know what amp number the ions draw? Because the cigarette plug is 20 amps and I can’t seem to find the info for the sfion anywhere

May 21, 2010
Minnesota
Should be in the documentation but I would be surprised if it was 2 amps. Cigarette plugs may be rated for more but that would only be good for very short bursts. Most plugs should be fine with 5 amps but much more continuously is known to melt plugs.

Shen105

Sep 12, 2022
Honolulu, HI
The Spitfire ION is just a regular universal mount ION in a dash mount housing. Amp draw should be 1 amp peak, 0.4 amps average according to Whelen's documentation.

Reactions: cabunty
Jun 25, 2010
Upstate NY
I sometimes do split cigarette plugs with some minibars I have. For example I have a mini-jetsonic with two rotators and a center TCL. I have one plug for the rotators, and a second plug hooked up to control the TCL.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GSPS629

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.