Candidate Advice

JPolston

Mar 27, 2012
Indiana, USA
So I've applied to multiple fire depts in hopes to begin a hiring process over the past (almost) 2 years in hopes to get everything going. IFD fell through because I had inside access to what they were looking for in their hiring process they just did. I should have done the testing for experience, but I was pissed and well, highly upset and basically threw a fit inside my mind. After that little ordeal, I vowed to always test when I can. Noblesville, Westfield, and Carmel began a hiring process, but you have to have a CPAT before you can qualify, and qualification period has passed.

Now, a perfect opportunity has arisen in Greenfield, which is 20 minutes away from my house, and they are accepting applicants without a CPAT(must have one by April, however) and candidates must have EMT by May, which I am in class right now. I know MANY of the guys on the dept., being that my current chief is a lieu. there, our former chief is a battalion chief, and several former captains and other ranks are lieu.s and firefighters. If I can pass the CPAT, I'd like to think I have the background and help for them to know that I want to do nothing but learn and do the job well.

With that said, how should I prep for the CPAT? Also, how can I wow the interview board? I know you can't go in and be a clone, but the fact of the matter is, most of my answers can be nothing but clone answers. I have always wanted to be a firefighter, when I hit high school I wanted to make it a career. I was raised around the dept I am on now, etc etc. It's all honest but it's not going to wow them and I know it. How can I set myself apart from the others but maintain the honesty of, "it's always been a dream and many of my family members(dad, grandpa, 3 uncles) were on the dept?"

Any advice from guys who just went through what I am going through? Any advice from vets? Advice from officers/interview board members?

Anything is greatly appreciated,

Jeremy

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
As for the interview board, it is important to show willingness to continue learning and pursuing education. No one wants someone who just comes and expects to be there and not give it their all. Best of luck to you!

bunnyfurr

Aug 29, 2010
WA
Best thing LEARN everything you can about the dept. Our new chief now walks his oral board candidates back to the there car to see what there ride is like. Meaning if it's clean and good he believes they will treat the apparatus and facilitys the same. But the one question he asks is What can you tell me about my dept. It's alright to clone some answers to questions that is somewhat expected. Dress nicely as well, we had some mutt wearing a tee shirt and jeans to a Chief's interview last year. Whatever you do the downfall of many don't bullshit yourself through an answer. Good luck

NYBLS

Oct 13, 2010
NY,USA
Do you have a degree? If not, talk about how you want to further your education. Classes, paramedic, etc. Willingness to learn is huge.

PJD642

May 20, 2010
east of Cleveland
Clarence H said:
Don't wear a fire department shirt, jacket, or hat. Clarence

Precisely! Reminds me of folks who show up to take civil service exams wearing sweats from whatever academy they went thru. Big F'in deal, you passed the academy. So did I, and it wasn't that hard.

Seriously, though, sport coat & tie. Shave. Comb your hair. Call people "Sir" or Ma'am".

EMT-BLS

Oct 28, 2011
Waterbury, CT
PJD642 said:
Seriously, though, sport coat & tie. Shave. Comb your hair. Call people "Sir" or Ma'am".

Big plus one. You could have gone through Harvard 8 times, if you show up wearing crumpled jeans and a torn T-shirt, calling men "dudes" and women "chicks", people won't respect you, and subsequently, not hire you. Dress well, be exceedingly polite, and don't try to be "cool" during the interview.

JPolston

Mar 27, 2012
Indiana, USA
Thanks for the advice all.

One side note: Sadly I do not have any dress coat or slacks besides black. I have tons of Khakis and dress shirts, but no suits. Looks like I may need to invest, or atleast look into goodwill lol.

I'm nervous about the interview, but I'm most nervous about the CPAT. I breezed through 1 & 2 skills, but still worried about the CPAT.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KeystoneDiesel

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.