Cannon split in 2011 f150 fog light?

bobbyj

May 1, 2012
Bellingham, MA
Hi,

Did some searching but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.  I know a cannon will work well as a warning light in the fog lights.  But I'm looking to see opinions on how effective they are as fog lights or driving lights.  Meaning, how much light do they actual throw on the ground?  I know they won't be as good as stock or even other options, but I'm weighing this option specifically against something else and want opinions from others that have tried it.  Also, how well do these work being on for several hours at a time steady (6 LED)?  Do they have any over-heating problems, especially on really hot days?

Also, 120 or 360?

Thanks for the help,

Brandt

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
for that application go 360's.  They are not nearly as bright as far as illumination goes as the stock bulbs though.  I typically leave stock bulb in and add the cannon in as an added source of white lite. 

6 leds are fine being on.  We replaced all of our daytime running lights, turn signals, tail lights, and brake lights on our demo suburban with cannons and have not had an issue yet. 

bobbyj

May 1, 2012
Bellingham, MA
6 leds are fine being on.  We replaced all of our daytime running lights, turn signals, tail lights, and brake lights on our demo suburban with cannons and have not had an issue yet. 

I asked this question specifically because I have a pair on my cargo lights and I keep blowing one out.  Advice for that was too much heat and to add a resistor on that mode to drop wattage and thus heat.  Fog lights are much more open, but concerned about high temperature days, especially sitting so close (relatively) to insanely hot asphalt.

for that application go 360's.  They are not nearly as bright as far as illumination goes as the stock bulbs though.  I typically leave stock bulb in and add the cannon in as an added source of white lite. 

So I'm looking to convert my fogs to LED, thus eliminating the stock bulb.  I fear that if I stuck an LED bulb in the housing with the cannon, the flash patterns would just get lost.

I guess I'm really looking for somebody to sell me on cannons in fogs as decent (given the application) fog/driving lights.  Basically I want these to be somewhat functional and not just a lit-up housing.  Does that make sense at all?

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
I asked this question specifically because I have a pair on my cargo lights and I keep blowing one out.  Advice for that was too much heat and to add a resistor on that mode to drop wattage and thus heat.  Fog lights are much more open, but concerned about high temperature days, especially sitting so close (relatively) to insanely hot asphalt.

So I'm looking to convert my fogs to LED, thus eliminating the stock bulb.  I fear that if I stuck an LED bulb in the housing with the cannon, the flash patterns would just get lost.

I guess I'm really looking for somebody to sell me on cannons in fogs as decent (given the application) fog/driving lights.  Basically I want these to be somewhat functional and not just a lit-up housing.  Does that make sense at all?

I havn't had any issues with cargo light cannons down here in that type of vehicle. I've found that they need dedicated grounds to prevent some overheating. 

I have only had two go bad here in Florida and they are under extreme heat and humidity here. 

I get what you are saying. I would not rely on them soley for illumination in your fog lights. They will do more than to light up the housing but typically fog light bulbs are essentially mini headlight bulbs. That is alot different than replacing a brake light bulb or something as such. 

They do ok, but they are not anything special and dont do as well in that model truck fog light as a direct replacement. 

sheazle

May 31, 2013
Missouri
I had a set in my fog lights on my 2010 F150. They are terrible for this application. Fog light housings are shaped for a specific beam pattern with the exact bulb they are designed for. The Cannon is super bright but doesn't focus correctly and is more of a flood light, so the light kind of goes every direction. It also made them distracting to oncoming traffic, I had several comments within a week or so of installing them. I went back to the stock fog lights. If you are looking for LED fog lights I would recommend a product designed for that purpose. Cannons are amazing warning lights and great for replacing reverse lights but I found them severely lacking for driving lights.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ragnarok

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.