Carson Siren troubles - I finally got burned, guys

bpollard

Jun 13, 2010
USA, SC
Well, I had a special project in mind. I heard a Carson Volunteer siren's mechanical sound and was very impressed. So I wanted to buy one out of pocket and install on a new (to us) F250.

After a little searching, I actually found one within driving distance last week and bought it from Facebook marketplace. From an EMT supervisor in a neighboring county.

Hooked it up to a speaker and battery tonight, and it doesn't work. I can barely hear the tones coming from the 100 watt speaker. I know that the wiring is done properly. Just as a test, I connected the same speaker with the same wiring and battery pack to a different siren and it works as it should. Connected back to my "barely used" Carson 1022, same thing. barely audible sound from the speaker.

Question is : is the siren work repairing (if I can find someone capable of doing so) or did i just waste 120 bucks?

This is the first time that I have bought something from a fellow first responder, used, that didn't live up to the description. Very disappointing.

Bob

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
If possible, try powering it with an automotive battery versus a battery pack. If it still doesn't work I would try it on a different speaker. If that doesn't work, double check your fuses, wiring etc.

If you still have contact info for the person you bought it from ask them about it and press them on the issue.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Quiet sound from a speaker is an interesting failure. I would rule out the power source as the problem first. Then before doing any repairs or attempts to fix anything I'd get back with the seller.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htamboli

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.