CDM1550ls+ and Dodge Charger Cigarette Plug

SoCalHAM

Mar 14, 2011
CA
Hey All,

So I just bought a CDM1550ls+, it will be here next week. I also purchased the HKN9407A OEM cigarette plug adapter which, according to the dealer, is the heavy duty piece that will allow up to 45 watts. Question is, with the adapter being able to handle it, will my dodge charger's center console plug handle it? It's the plug inside the center console hidden. The charger is a 2010. I asked the sales manager at the store if it would handle my CDM at 40 watts and she replied with "45 watts max or change the glass fuse". Will I harm the car or the radio? The transmissions wouldn't be too long or frequent, as the radio is mostly for rxing with the exception of txing on some GMRS repeaters.

Thanks,

Mark

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
Check your vehicle owner's manual to verify the fuse capacity that protects your cig jacks. I'm temporarily running a 40 or 45 watt m1225 in my 2011 charger pursuit cig jack with no problem. Both jacks are ignition-switched, but probably relayed from a battery feed.

SoCalHAM

Mar 14, 2011
CA
Well I just checked the owner's manual and it says the "power outlet" draws from a 20 amp fuse so I guess I should be alright if the CDM at 40 watts is going to be drawing around 13, or to even play it safe I could set my tx output to 25 watts. Any thoughts or does this seem correct?

-Mark

p.s. thanks for the responses guys!

jluisi86

Jul 12, 2010
Poconos, PA
IDK if your using UHF or VHF with that radio but it doesnt make much of a difference, see specs below:

VHF: 7 AMPS @ 25 WATTS

13.5 AMPS @ 45 WATTS

UHF: 8 AMPS @ 25 WATTS

13.5 AMPS @ 40 WATTS

No reason to run at a lower watt bc of your power source... As long as your under 20 amps your fine for that outlet....

ryan81986

Apr 13, 2011
Boston, MA
It should work fine. A security company I used to work for did security at a rental car lot. The rental company supplied the car so they had a CDM1550 mounted to a board with a mag mount antenna and a cigarette plug. They never had any issues.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
W2CK

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.